Thread Tools
May 11, 2014, 05:58 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
moscow580's Avatar
Good luck.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2014, 09:42 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks but no maiden today. I'm not happy. I bought some used packs here on RCG and I just put them on the charger. One pack tests out good and charges fine. The other has a bad cell. I don't remember who I bought them from but 7s won't fly the DVII. She's grounded until I get some good packs. It'll have to wait. I need to order a new helmet. Safety first.
May 11, 2014, 10:00 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
Thread OP
I just opened the pack. The cells are good, it's just a bad jst node plug. The charger only sees 3 of the 4 cells. I can charge it using the Turnigy Accucell-6. If I understand correctly unlike the FMA Lipo chargers the Turnigy chargers through the discharge plug and monitors through the balance tap/node. Charging now.

Possible maiden this evening.
May 11, 2014, 11:38 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
moscow580's Avatar
Yeah. You definitely want to be extra careful with that beauty. We're with you.
May 11, 2014, 01:27 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
Thread OP
Ok. Packs soldered. Checked and double checked. Put on the charger to top them up. Heading out to family a little later so I realized that it's now or never. Did another check of the control throws and reset the dual rates a bit lower on the rudder and elevator. Put a cord around the prop and dragged her out to the field behind my house. I had some reservations flying such a big model in my "private" field but it's very rural in the immediate area. If it had been a model manufacturer other than a company like Balsa USA I might not have chanced it but this model has a stellar reputation.

The wind was blowing from the southwest so I had to walk out into the field pretty far to get the room I thought (incorrectly) that I'd need for the take off. I stopped and took a few of my customary pre-maiden photos. The wind was blowing a steady 8-10 mph but every now and then there was a nice lull. While waiting for it to lighten up some I did my standard pre-flight check. I always check the surfaces for correct direction of travel and approximate throw. I usually give them a tug to make sure that on the previous flight no hinges were bent or pulled loose. Then I go through the throttle to make sure that I have full power. It all checked out A-Ok. I eased on the power to do a taxi test and she started getting light on her wheels well before 1/2 throttle and tracked straight and true. I was about to power down when I thought, what the hell, and eased on more power and she was gently rising into the air. The SK3 6374 on 8s with the 22x12 XOAR gives this model very scale power. The take off was a thing of beauty. As it got light it bounced a few times then just skimmed the grass for a bit as speed increased and the wings started lifting her skyward. I don't think I ever went to full power on the take off. I know that I didn't during the 3:17 flight. I got her up to a little under 200' and did a few trim circuits. She wants to roll hard left so I fed in full right trim and a few clicks of down. I did a couple of figure-8's and noted that she likes to drop the nose a bit in right turns. I didn't try any aerobatics at all because the lead shot ballast was just in a doubled plastic bag and held in place with a wooden bracket and Gorilla brand duct tape. Secure enough for a maiden but not for anything else. I set her up for the landing and had to go around because she wasn't loosing altitude quickly enough. I let her drop some as I turned base to final and then eased on some power to control the descent. I kept power on and flew her down to the ground. Did a mains only landing and she quickly slowed in the grass. Not a hint of nose over. I really dig this plane. If I get another chance to fly it during the week I'll definitely be flying it at Rhinebeck.

Mike
May 11, 2014, 07:40 PM
Registered User
Warbirds Rule's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Ok. Packs soldered. Checked and double checked. Put on the charger to top them up. Heading out to family a little later so I realized that it's now or never. Did another check of the control throws and reset the dual rates a bit lower on the rudder and elevator. Put a cord around the prop and dragged her out to the field behind my house. I had some reservations flying such a big model in my "private" field but it's very rural in the immediate area. If it had been a model manufacturer other than a company like Balsa USA I might not have chanced it but this model has a stellar reputation.

The wind was blowing from the southwest so I had to walk out into the field pretty far to get the room I thought (incorrectly) that I'd need for the take off. I stopped and took a few of my customary pre-maiden photos. The wind was blowing a steady 8-10 mph but every now and then there was a nice lull. While waiting for it to lighten up some I did my standard pre-flight check. I always check the surfaces for correct direction of travel and approximate throw. I usually give them a tug to make sure that on the previous flight no hinges were bent or pulled loose. Then I go through the throttle to make sure that I have full power. It all checked out A-Ok. I eased on the power to do a taxi test and she started getting light on her wheels well before 1/2 throttle and tracked straight and true. I was about to power down when I thought, what the hell, and eased on more power and she was gently rising into the air. The SK3 6374 on 8s with the 22x12 XOAR gives this model very scale power. The take off was a thing of beauty. As it got light it bounced a few times then just skimmed the grass for a bit as speed increased and the wings started lifting her skyward. I don't think I ever went to full power on the take off. I know that I didn't during the 3:17 flight. I got her up to a little under 200' and did a few trim circuits. She wants to roll hard left so I fed in full right trim and a few clicks of down. I did a couple of figure-8's and noted that she likes to drop the nose a bit in right turns. I didn't try any aerobatics at all because the lead shot ballast was just in a doubled plastic bag and held in place with a wooden bracket and Gorilla brand duct tape. Secure enough for a maiden but not for anything else. I set her up for the landing and had to go around because she wasn't loosing altitude quickly enough. I let her drop some as I turned base to final and then eased on some power to control the descent. I kept power on and flew her down to the ground. Did a mains only landing and she quickly slowed in the grass. Not a hint of nose over. I really dig this plane. If I get another chance to fly it during the week I'll definitely be flying it at Rhinebeck.

Mike
Beautiful model! Congrats.
May 11, 2014, 10:29 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
moscow580's Avatar
That description was great it was like being there. Great to hear all went well. Excellent.
May 12, 2014, 06:34 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I can't believe what a nice flying model this is.

I need to make a box for the lead shot ballast this week and secure it in place. I need to do a lateral balance of it too. I think that one side, the left side, is heavier than the right and might be the reason that it needed so much right trim.
May 12, 2014, 07:54 AM
Ernst Oops
bbs428's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
"I need to do a lateral balance of it too. I think that one side, the left side, is heavier than the right and might be the reason that it needed so much right trim."
+1

Congrats on the maiden! Your plane looks superb.
May 12, 2014, 07:59 AM
Registered User
Martin Irvine's Avatar
Looking forward to hearing how it turned out. Maybe with video?

Martin
May 12, 2014, 08:41 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
Thread OP
I'll try to get someone to take video at Rhinebeck this weekend.
May 12, 2014, 06:50 PM
Registered User
nytjadens's Avatar
Congratulations, that DVII is a beauty! Wish I could make it to Rhinebeck this weekend :-(

Get some video!

Stephen
May 13, 2014, 07:55 PM
Registered User
Stephen M's Avatar
I had a 1/4 scale D.VII. The incidences and washout were set by adjusting the interplane struts. Check to see that the washout on all four wings is the same and not too extreme. There should be some washout on the wings.

Stephen
May 14, 2014, 07:37 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
Thread OP
Good advice. I'll check it when I put it back together.
May 17, 2014, 07:16 AM
Registered User
cgoffa's Avatar

more MAH?


Can you add more MAH? with that much dead lead, you might be able to add more pack, and fly all weekend at NEAT . If yours flies anything like the Hangar 9 one that I have, it will be a delightful flier when dialed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Good advice. I'll check it when I put it back together.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools