Apr 29, 2014, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

WLtoys V913 Brushless (official WLtoys release)

INTRODUCTION

In begining of 2013, WLtoys announced the V913, his bigger size helicopter (690mm long/ 400-size class) simultaneously with the V912. Both represented
the next generatoin of the great WLtoys hit, i.e. the V911. These two latter are more focused for outdoors practice.

The V911, V912 and V913 are three 4CH FP helicopters stabilized with a flybar and controled by a remote control working at 2.4G (using the FlySky protocol via the A7105 RF chip). Both the V912 and the V913 are using some type of 380 brushed motors. If for the V912, the 380 motor offers to him some great agility, for the V913 this brushed motor is clearly undersized and even more, is warming a lot killing its longevity. In order to give to the V913 more punch, from the MJX F45 helicopter, a brushless kit have been adapted by modders for the V913, transforming radically the performances of the Helicopter.

Few days ago, WLtoys announced officialy a brushless version of the V912 and V913. My review is focused of this V913 brusless (that I will so-call "V913 BL") and come few days later after the excellent James' one :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2151454

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x V913 BL
+ 1 x Eemote control (supporting mode 1, 2, 3 and 4)
+ 1 x Power adaptor
+ 1 x charger (using balancer port)
+ 1 x spare main and tail blades
+ 1 x Instruction manual

OVERVIEW

From an external point of view, no real difference between the V913 and the V913 BL. In the next photo the V913 BL is on the left

and in the two next photos, the V913 BL is on the right

Most of the parts are clearly identical. Only two minor changes can be observed:

i) The vertical tail have upgraded for a more longer one avoiding tail's blade to hit the ground.

ii) The main blades have been slightly improved with a larger plastic width for one side

The swash remains identical, especially with the fragile/thin arms (when the turbo boost mod is used)

This arms should be re-enforced for example using the mnemennth's mods. Servos are strictly identical to the brushed V913.

The weight of the helicopter is approximatively of 440g (with canopy and the 1500mah 2S LiPo with JST connector)

The more important feature will be find under the canopy. A new daughter board have been added, the ESC controler

This latter is feed by capturing the PWM signal from main board.

I don't really understand why the ESC is strapped just above the LiPo. It's avoiding to remove/replace it easely. Furtunatly, after a brief inspection, I think it's very easy to install the ESC behind the main motor. There is plenty of free room there. This "quick" ESC installation is not representing a good point for this model. If like WLtoys wanted to not change the main V913 building process for this V913 BL.

The rest of the main board is unchanged and the RF part is still using a A7105 RF chip running the FlySky protocol.

The main brushless motor is a "home made" motor main probably a 4800kV

The transmitter remains the same that for the brushed version. This large but non-programmable TX allow to switch from mode 1 up to mode 4.
One novelty: now it's possible to switch on/off the light from the TX.

USAGE EXPERIENCE

When you plug the JST connector into the V913 BL, immediatly the ESC is emiting a beep sequence. Than you have to switch on the rest of the helicopter to continue the starting process.
When the helicopter is binded, swash and arms are returning to their nominal position. When you hover the first time you are improssed by the power of the helicopter. Now it takes off at 25% of throttle
The payload capacity is clearly improved and for example you can carry a mobius camera without any problem. After few minutes of flight, the main motor is not really warming... Only the tail brushed motor becomes hot unfortunatly.
It's a real pity than the tail motor is not brushless too. The flight caracteristic is very similar to the brushed one. So in order to have a perfect bird, you will need performe a mechanical trimming (even if mine was well tune).
If you plan to install a bigger LiPo to increase flight duration and move the CoG forward to increase FFF, you will need to perform this mechanical trimming procedure. Now you understand that before to use a larger LiPo, you will have to
change the ESC position.

I performed 3 flights in a extremely windy day (> 40-50 km/h) and I was suprized that this FP model was very stable versus wind. I felt a lot of power thanks to the brushless motor. the yaw rate is very fast but remember that the tail motor is still brushed and usually don't have a long life.
I didn't meet the right turning problem (which can be observed after few minutes of flight when the bird is refusing to turn according to your control). My flight duration was 7mm in average with the shipped 1500 mah LiPo.

CONCLUSIONS

IMHO the official release of WLtoys of the V913 BL have been largely inspired from the MJX F45 brushless Kit and you can feel they didn't really "redesign" all the V913 to reach the brushless goal.
The ESC installation is quiet annoying but can be easely rectified. No brushless tail motor too. So you will need to stock some spare tail motors, as well as some swash and swash linkers.
By the way, this helicopter is very very powerful now. By tuning it a bit, shifting forward the CoG, this helicopter can have a very good FFF and is fun. I like it coz out of the box it, my V913 BL is very stable precise and smooth.
More, this brushless version is confortable to fly in windy condition and throttle actions are now efficient.

If you don't own a V913, you can go directly to this Brushless version, it's only 30-35 USD more, so cheaper than the brushless conversion kit without any soldering session.
If you have already a V913, it will be better to invest into the brushless kit except if you have two left hands .
If you have already FlySky' based helicopter, a BNF version of this brushless version should be ideal.

UNBOXING VIDEO

In the following video, I am performing the unboxing as well as few basic tests. I also binded this V913 BL with a devo 7E controler thanks to deviationTX
WLtoys V913 BL (official product) Unboxing and testing (courtesy of Tmart) (12 min 1 sec)

PROS

+ 4800 kV brushless main motor
+ Main motor is no more burning
+ FlySky retro-comptability
+ Powerful and stable helo out of the box
+ Upgraded vertical tail and main blades
+ DeviationTX compatible

CONS

- ESC strapping
- No brushless tail motor
- Need to shift the CoG to have a faster FFF
- A little bit expensive if the price remains around 140 USD.

This Helicopter have been courtesy provided by Tmart in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find this Helicopter at:
http://www.tmart.com/Brushless-Versi...e_p244730.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2014, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods and videos

First outdoors test :

WLtoys V913 brushless (official product) first outdoors tests (Courtesy Tmart) (4 min 45 sec)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 30, 2014 at 01:00 AM.
Apr 30, 2014, 01:00 AM
Thread OP
Added the first outdoors video
Apr 30, 2014, 05:38 AM
Great review and vids SBD. My only wish is for a brush less tail motor.
May 01, 2014, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod69
Great review and vids SBD. My only wish is for a brush less tail motor.
Thanks

Well maybe it will be possible to add a brushless tail motor, I don't know yet ...
May 01, 2014, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
Tmart just decreased (a bit) the price to 136 USD ...
May 02, 2014, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
As soon as the wind will stop a bit in my area, I will try to carry a Mobius cam thank to the extra payload capacity of this new brushless setup.
May 02, 2014, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
A video taken with the Mobius cam in FPV mode

WLtoys V913 BL Brushless with Mobius camera (Courtesy of Tmart) (4 min 12 sec)
May 06, 2014, 01:15 PM
Inertial dampers failing...

Fingers Crossed....

I received an email from T-Mart on 05.04.14 at 6:00am pst saying that the BL913 was in stock.
I placed my order at Monday 05.05.14 7:00am pst and by 1:00 pm i had an email saying they were already out of stock... dang it! I'm deciding to wait and see if they are going to restock in a reasonable amount of time.

Speaking of BL tail motor how about this? it's from the V913 thread posted originally by matelec; Has any one tried this http://www.topstoys.com/mjx-f45-tail...ed-p-5234.html brushless tail on the v913?

This might be a possibility for adding to this version?

peace
Last edited by Not_Here; May 06, 2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correcting timeline
May 07, 2014, 07:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here
I received an email from T-Mart on 05.04.14 at 6:00am pst saying that the BL913 was in stock.
I placed my order at Monday 05.05.14 7:00am pst and by 1:00 pm i had an email saying they were already out of stock... dang it! I'm deciding to wait and see if they are going to restock in a reasonable amount of time.

Speaking of BL tail motor how about this? it's from the V913 thread posted originally by matelec; Has any one tried this http://www.topstoys.com/mjx-f45-tail...ed-p-5234.html brushless tail on the v913?

This might be a possibility for adding to this version?

peace
Hi,

This morning it seemed to be in stock ....

Well nice link for the Tail Brushless setup ... I wil linvestigate this link but in thoery should be possible
Jun 27, 2014, 04:00 PM
and xtreme are near ready to release the billet V913 rotor head, email in this morning from Ken at xtreme

Hi Craig

The V913 parts is almost ready.
They are now in final QC stage.

We are marketing them with a new brand,
Please visit : http://www.hobby-direct.com/

Thank you

ken
Jun 28, 2014, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_craig
and xtreme are near ready to release the billet V913 rotor head, email in this morning from Ken at xtreme

Hi Craig

The V913 parts is almost ready.
They are now in final QC stage.

We are marketing them with a new brand,
Please visit : http://www.hobby-direct.com/

Thank you

ken
Good news for all V913 owners ...
Oct 22, 2014, 04:53 AM
I just buyed V913 and wonder how long fly time you got on V913BL? and do you know any options for using more than the 1500 batteries to get longer flight times?
Nov 18, 2014, 06:33 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Is the complete brushless set up now available? Main and tail rotor brushless?

Thanks!
Feb 06, 2015, 07:39 AM
Jeff

Tail Motor

Hi guys, I was wondering if any one could tell me if I can use a 2437/D8C motor
for a tail motor on a V913 ??

Thanks

Quick Reply