Apr 28, 2014, 05:40 AM
Thread OP
Question

Gas Engine Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to gas engines and have few basic Qs

What sealant do you guys use or recommend when fitting a muffler (or anything else that requires a gasket or seal ?

What fuel tubing, fuel tank filler etc are good & where can I get them at a good price on ebay ?

Oh, and maybe a good brand of 2 stroke oil that will do the job, fuel filter etc.

It's a Saito FG-21 I'm setting up.

Any tips appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2014, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Anyone ?

Were my q's that stupid ?
Apr 28, 2014, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BieneFlyer
Hi,

I'm new to gas engines and have few basic Qs

What sealant do you guys use or recommend when fitting a muffler (or anything else that requires a gasket or seal ?

What fuel tubing, fuel tank filler etc are good & where can I get them at a good price on ebay ?

Oh, and maybe a good brand of 2 stroke oil that will do the job, fuel filter etc.

It's a Saito FG-21 I'm setting up.

Any tips appreciated.

I generally don't use a sealant on the muffler but any hi-temp automotive gasket sealant would work.

Most people use Tygon for fuel line, it hardens over time though. For some of my lines I use Viton, a black neoprene type fuel line, it is supposed to last longer but you have to find the right grade for use with gas with alcohol added. Lawn mower repair shops would have a good fuel line too.

I use Redline 2 stroke oil, others like Stihl HP Ultra.
Apr 28, 2014, 02:44 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Exactly what he said ^
Apr 28, 2014, 04:21 PM
I do not normally use a sealant. The exhaust gasses are too hot for it. I have cut gaskets out of the carbonized gasket material before but the decent automotive gasket material tends to work OK too. You get it by the sheet at the auto parts store. I use lockwashers on the muffler screws. I first put it together and then run the engine for a while to heat it all up good, as parts expand and it tends to loosen up. Then I stop the engine and tighten the screws up a little more, if they needed it. Be careful as it seems folks tend to over tighten and strip the threads out.
Apr 28, 2014, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Is it safe to use say the everyday 2 stroke oil you buy at the local mower shop or gas station ?
Apr 28, 2014, 09:16 PM
As long as it is for air cooled engines.
Apr 28, 2014, 09:36 PM
Quote:

Is it safe to use say the everyday 2 stroke oil you buy at the local mower shop or gas station ?
What do the instructions that came with the engine say?
Apr 28, 2014, 09:57 PM
Quote:

I use the "what's on sale brand" that I can buy at auto parts stores. These are not super exotic motors we are using here. If the motor uses a walbro carb you can buy rebuilding kits on line or pick them up pretty inexpensively on line but avoid the hobby shop suppliers they just mark up things way too much. Steel into aluminum exhaust manifolds should use anti-seize to prevent tearing up the threads. Lock washers are a must and replace them after each time you remove and replace the exhaust.
Apr 28, 2014, 10:04 PM
If you have a small engine/chainsaw shop locally, I like the tygon they sell better than the hobby shop stuff. More flexible and stays that way. Oregon brand I think is what I've been using. If there is a Stihl shop, their ultra oil (synthetic) is good stuff.

Gas/oil seems to be more slippery than glow, so I'd recommend those solder on barbs anywhere hose connects to copper tube. Zip tie or two wraps of safety wire each connection. Not too tight or you can pinch the hose up away from the fitting and create a leak.

Type of fueler is up to you. Personally I like the 1/4 turn locking fuel dots, and sullivan hand crank. I like to be able to control the speed and slow down when the tank is getting close to full.

I like permatex ultra copper sealant for mufflers. Any good auto parts store, or small engine shop.

Gas planes are great fun. Have a good time.
Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
I use the "what's on sale brand" that I can buy at auto parts stores. These are not super exotic motors we are using here. If the motor uses a walbro carb you can buy rebuilding kits on line or pick them up pretty inexpensively on line but avoid the hobby shop suppliers they just mark up things way too much. Steel into aluminum exhaust manifolds should use anti-seize to prevent tearing up the threads. Lock washers are a must and replace them after each time you remove and replace the exhaust.
Me too. As long as it specifically states "for use in air cooled engines" I'm good to go. Don't care if it's synthetic, a synthetic blend, or straight mineral based oil. Properly taken care of, it will likely out last me no matter which I use. -Al
Apr 28, 2014, 11:43 PM
I kind of bought what was cheap for my string trimmer and other little power tools, but now I run brand name stuff.

Trimmer never ran well, with fresh no-alcohol fuel/oil. It would occasionally stall, and you would have to kind of feather the throttle open.

One time as an experiment I ran it on Stihl I had around, and it ran much better.

Also, I broke in a Syssa with lawn boy ashless, per the directions. When I switched to klotz synthetic it immediately ran better.

Anyway, for me I'll stick with quality stuff- klotz, redline, or Stihl. I don't burn a massive amount of premix gas, so it doesn't cost much more. Jmho.
Last edited by JeffinTD; Apr 28, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Apr 29, 2014, 01:03 AM
Quote:

No, Not on a Saito. Everyday 2-stroke oil won't handle the heat of the exhaust valve and will varnish up on the stem and cause valve sticking.

Go to your Stihl Dealer and ask for the Stihl HP Ultra. It has proven to be one or the best for our purposes.
It has only been available here in Australia for a short while so you might get a dumb look from your dealer if he hasn't heard of it but he will be able to order some.
Apr 29, 2014, 02:59 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, all great advice here. Appreciated.

This is what the manual states regards fuel/oil

2. Fuel
The fuel is mixture of commercial regular gasoline and reliable oil for 2-stroke. (In addition, unleaded high-octane gasoline is not necessarily
required for our engine.) [Example of oil]
�� POWER LUBE (KLOTZ ORIGINAL TECHNIPLATE)
�� KLOTZ GS RC model LUBE
�� CASTROL POWER1 TTS Racing, etc.
For the mixture ratio, please be sure to use “gasoline : oil = 20 : 1” or richer by volume ratio. Any damage caused by the fuel used, in
which the oil ratio is lower than 20:1 ratio, is not warranted.
Apr 29, 2014, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPC
No, Not on a Saito. Everyday 2-stroke oil won't handle the heat of the exhaust valve and will varnish up on the stem and cause valve sticking.

Go to your Stihl Dealer and ask for the Stihl HP Ultra. It has proven to be one or the best for our purposes.
It has only been available here in Australia for a short while so you might get a dumb look from your dealer if he hasn't heard of it but he will be able to order some.
Thanks CustomPC

I have a mower shop just round the corner. I'll duck in there tomorrow.

Cheers.

Quick Reply