This thread is privately moderated by RetoF3X, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 27, 2014, 06:12 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
Discussion

Experiences with the Tweagle

I got a Tweagle to test. I have always wanted to try a model from Alex, as they are very innovative and sometimes exploratory. The Tweagle is no different, with a high aspect ratio wing, a stubby, short fuselage, wing on a pylon, and a high aspect ratio vertical.

The parts are all very well made and the wings are quite stiff and light. The wingtip is a bit stiffer than on a Snipe. According to Alex, the tip airfoil is a bit thicker, and this apparently afforded for some more strength. The leading and trailing edge were excellent on my plane, a detail that I appreciate.

The fuselage is plenty stiff, but the big boom has reduced hoop strength. So one should better not squeeze it. But for the main loads it seems quite strong. The canopy fits quite perfectly and the seam is also very minimal.

Build notes:

I have added additional uni tow on the vertical tail, just to be save. I tried to get maximum mechanical advantage by making the horns 1.5 to 2 times larger on the surfaces than on the servos. Due to the fact that the torque-tubes on the flaperons are almost 20mm tall, the servo arms have to become proportionally large too. They still fit nicely in the fuselage. With my fuselage layout and the use of clevis, the flaperon pushrods can be removed, which simplyfies the assembly on the field.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Apr 27, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2014, 06:16 AM
VHO
VHO
glider misguider
Have you flown the Tweagle yet?
Any comments? e.g. Does it meet your expectations? and how does its flight envelope compare to a Snipe or XXLite?
May 25, 2014, 06:41 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

More on the Tweagle

Yes, I have flown the Tweagle, even in a round at the IHLGF.

It launches very well, penetrates well and circles really tight. I have had many planes that circled well, but this one is really amazing. You can put it on the wing tip and core it up.

The drawback is that it is a bit "lively", so the agility is paid by a bit less flight stability.

Performance wise I do not yet have an idea where it stands. It launches similarly well as the Snipe, but it feels floatier. But I do not have any facts for that. The Snipe can have quite surprising hang capabilities, if flown right.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; May 25, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply