Mar 30, 2004, 01:07 PM
Thread OP

Aluminum plated P38 on downwind (finally)

Just thought I would post a few pictures of our latest project. Its been plated with our seamless micro aluminum plating process. Only gained 12 oz. even less than we thought.

Ron
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2004, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Mar 30, 2004, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Unfortunately Were going to sell it next month after the trade show

Enjoy the pictures

Ron
Last edited by Metalmorphous; Mar 30, 2004 at 01:17 PM.
Mar 30, 2004, 04:30 PM
Grumpa Tom
Looks great! How about some more info on the product and process?
Latest blog entry: Felony
Mar 30, 2004, 11:22 PM
I am building a giat P-51 and would like some info on the plating as well.
Mar 31, 2004, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Our product is a chemically applied metal and because we can control the temp. of the plating process it does not destroy the subsurfaces (well most of the time ) This is the first time anything like this has been attempted here at the shop. We did alot of testing before we used it on this plane but the results are great. Very durable, is real aluminum not an alloy, and can be scribed like a 20 guage sheet of alumunum. We used a special process when we plated the plane that we call MICRO plating, this controls the weight and thickness of the aluminum but we can only do this process with alumunum and not our other metals.

Hope this answers most of you questions and if you need more info you can always call me at shop # 203 294-1314. and ask for me

Ron
Last edited by Metalmorphous; Mar 06, 2005 at 04:25 PM.
Mar 31, 2004, 01:05 PM
I too am building a P-38. I was wondering how much you would charge to plate it. Span-101" Leingth-87". An estemate is all I am asking for
Mar 31, 2004, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
shzaz28 and wwfalcon You should give me a call at the shop, I need to ask a few questions like the type of material being plated, type of finish ect. We have a F100 jet being deleiverd to the shop next month and its a big one too (Mr. Clark are you listening )It sounds like its about as big as your 38, I will ask the office what he is being charged and if and when you call I will let you know.

Ron
Last edited by Metalmorphous; Mar 31, 2004 at 08:52 PM.
Apr 01, 2004, 01:14 AM
Please PM me w/ all info. It's a 102" ws P-51. I want it to "look the part" but can't spend a ton. (My wife is very being way cool so far) e-mailme @ [email protected] !
Apr 01, 2004, 06:51 PM
Holy Shnikey's! WOW...That is the best looking P-38 I have ever seen....! Hands down...WOW...That looks absolutely fabulous! Hang on, gotta show this to the wifey, maybe it'll spook her into letting me get one! So, let me get this straight, you put the finish on in liquid state??? ALSO, did you say you're going to be in Toledo?
Apr 01, 2004, 10:03 PM
How much weight did it add to that plane? oops1 nevermind. good thing it wasn't a snake
Last edited by shzaz28; Apr 02, 2004 at 09:13 AM.
Apr 02, 2004, 01:48 AM
Heli Whore
Quote:
Originally posted by shzaz28
How much weight did it add to that plane?
Read the first post.
Apr 02, 2004, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Aces High Tony- Yes, the aluminum is in a liquid state and it bonds to just about any submaterial. We are attending 2 shows this month the first is in Hartford, and the second is in Boston but they are not RC related. We plate many other types of project and one is custom art work for Artist around the country. I have been into RC planes and Full scale for about 25 years and I thought this would bring down the house at any show we attend (so far the public loves it). It started out as an experiment and turned out to be one of the nicest projects we have worked on, not only does it look like this plane has been bent out of aluminum but its ready to fly. After the 2 shows were going to sell it The owners liked it sooo much they are going to let us do another one but a larger scale (they want it to be visiable from about 5 miles ) and this time we are going to have photos and document the whole process. I'm not sure were they company is going with that. So if you want a great looking plane at the end of this month, let us know.

Ron
Last edited by Metalmorphous; Mar 06, 2005 at 04:28 PM.
Oct 16, 2004, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Well Its been about 7 months or so and here is an update on what we have been doing. We sold the VQ P-38, it was on the market for 2 days and it was gone and we have been working on the new Yellow P-38, here are some picture of our work in progress.

Enjoy
Ron

Last edited by Metalmorphous; Oct 16, 2004 at 04:59 PM.
Oct 16, 2004, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Here one of the detailing in the gear doors.

Quick Reply