May 12, 2016, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitas
I'm impressed with wide range of speed, it is huge! cruise speed is fast, but with a lot of camber you can slow it down dramatically.
like with standard Flitz, very tight turns are possible and handling is on good side,
looks like it does not float like standard Flitz in marginal lift, but still very good. I need more stick time.
so far i like 69 mm CG, AUW 230 gr
In your opinion, does it "feel" like a Flitz in the air? Or does it feel like a different plane entirely. One of the strengths of the Flitz is that it is still easy to handle in bumpy conditions. Does this new Flitz share that same trait?
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2016, 10:37 PM
Hi ...... I have classic Flitz. Will the new Fuselage/boom (windy) fit my original Flitz wing? Where are these new Windy Flitz available to order?
May 13, 2016, 06:28 AM
the new fuselage does not fit for classic, it is completely new. there is 3d generation of the fuselage for classic though. it has nose cone and some another improvements. if you need new fuselage drop mail to aeromodelis.lt

Drew, Windy is easy to fly, it feels like ballasted classic, IMHO. I need to test it in different weather condition, so far looks good.
May 14, 2016, 11:41 AM
Victor Selyukov LTU-859
I flew pretty good at the World Cup in Ukraine. I flew with the Windy. Some rounds and fly-offs on Flitz. I build my model so that suits me the standard ballast from a Stobel. It's true for both models.

Wilga, it's Very hard for me every time. Too much wind, too less therma. At the day condition I was using the Windy with 35 gr. of ballast with Windy. But when conditions become the more difficult (very weak therma), I take the old Flitz with 50 grams of ballast. The old Flitzebogen is more easy to control at long distance for me. When therma is strong, my choice is a Windy.

At now I'm back in Alytus. I added 1 eurocent coin to the nose. This has added more stability. It became much easier to cope with a new glider. At now, my Windy has a weight 242 gr + 35 gr of ballast. CG = 3 mm before at finish line of covers. 67 mm as I think.

Cheers
--
Victor

P.S.
Maybe this information will be important for someone. My Windy has a DS09 SCD servos and KST 245 in fuse. That was not easy for nose. I had to use a custom servo horn. I think it was X08 horn.
Last edited by WWS_RU; May 14, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
May 14, 2016, 10:25 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
The classic Flitz still worked well today at the IHLGF:

http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=even...w&event_id=692

It was cold and overcast and lift was weak. In such condition the Flitz really excels, launches high and can work really weak lift. It saved my a$$ several times.

@ Victor, glad you had a good contest. Yes the Flitz can handle ballast really well. I have 30, 50 and 70gr ballast sticks. I put in the 30gr ballast pretty early, it helps in active air and it still climbs very well.

Reto
May 15, 2016, 05:07 AM
Great flying Reto! Good luck at second day.
May 16, 2016, 04:03 PM
Olgol, did you fly new Windy Flitz in IHLGF?
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...515_153638.jpg
May 16, 2016, 04:25 PM
Oleg Golovidov
No, I did not. I finished assembling it 1 day before the trip and did not feel comfortable flying it in a contest yet. I need a little more time to get used to it.
It certainly launches high and penetrates well, that is for sure.

(my name is Oleg)
May 16, 2016, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
(my name is Oleg)
I know. Sorry!
We have competed in same competition in Sweden 2011.
May 16, 2016, 04:47 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukka
i know. sorry!
We have competed in same competition in sweden 2011.
May 16, 2016, 05:09 PM
I had my first taste of the new Flitz this last weekend. It was our UK Eurotour event over two days. Saturday was pretty windy, a no doubt about putting ballast in day, but with lift. And Sunday was very calm with light lift, but deceptive at times. Perfect weekend to get a good idea about how it performs.

In the wind, I mostly flew with 60g ballast (230g AUW without ballast) and dropped to 40g when the wind dropped a little in the afternoon. I feel the new flitz is pretty good in the wind, unfortunately my brain wasn't and I landed out a few too many times due to some silly decisions. But I was also impressed with a couple of returns from downwind. It certainly can fly fast, noticeably more than the previous flitz, and can really move around the sky. And launch with ballast was very good. I don't have an altimeter in it, but they looked high for me.

Sunday dawned with hardly a breath of wind and I spent about 45 mins test flying with a few others. It was the kind of morning air that just allows you maintain height if you fly efficiently. But my new flitz went up, leaving the others below me trying to find the same lift. And I repeated this a few times before the air started getting lifty enough for everyone to easily gain. I was really amazed. I was flying with about 6mm camber and it flew quite slowly and very stable, quite like the previous flitz, indicated lift well and went up on a gopher fart. This is why I can't bring myself to call it the 'windy' flitz. It is my go to DLG for light air for sure!

I didn't get to fly against the NXT those initial very light lift conditions unfortunately. With the limited time I have flown both the new flitz and the NXT, I can only say that they are fairly evenly matched. My instinct says the new flitz is marginally better in light air.

When I get some time, I will post my settings. I have to say that I really like flying it. I have always enjoyed faster gliders and this does that and then slows down beautifully with camber when required and is a pussy cat.
May 16, 2016, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG
This is why I can't bring myself to call it the 'windy' flitz. It is my go to DLG for light air for sure!

Sounds very encouraging, Mike. Your review definitely sounds like this redesign is exactly what I've been dreaming about ever since I fell in love with the original Flitz ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=755 ). But I can't believe that you wouldn't prefer the original Flitz over the new Flitz in light air. The performance of the original Flitz in light/marginal air almost defies the laws of physics. Even when there's no identifiable lift, it still just wants to climb.
May 16, 2016, 06:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
For what it's worth, my NXT at 230g floats and climbs as well in light air as my 240g Flitz. The Flitz however will carve a tighter thermal turn in light lift and that's an asset in certain conditions.
May 17, 2016, 11:23 AM
Victor Selyukov LTU-859
I'm sorry, guys. But, I flew a last three times in really windy and gusts condition. New plane has 292 gr. with 50 gr of ballast. It's real rocket. I prefer to use 1 mm camber for moving from one good air to another. Speed it's very important factor. At this cloud conditions (14C 3-5 m/s & gusts up to 7, no sun) therma isn't so wide. I use camber up to 6mm and opposite positions of sticks. Rudder moved to circle directions, elevator - in opposite side. It's really worked. At now, I love both Flitzes of mine. Windy show me the new style for flying.
Last edited by WWS_RU; May 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
May 17, 2016, 06:40 PM
Here's some photos of my Flitz v2. The pod is tight, but there is enough room. I think you kinda have to get the battery and rx together at the front. You could put the rx behind the servos, but that might compromise ballast insertion.

An interesting feature is that the boom is fairly square, transitioning to round just before the tail mount. This provides better vertical bending resistance than the now common oval boom, which should help give better launches as elevator authority should be maintained at release - stops that behaviour when launching hard and the model does not rotate for some meters, presumably because the boom bends down slightly, nullifying the launch preset.

Quick Reply