May 17, 2014, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid
I am trying to give you a picture of how slow the Radian goes using the Citabria wings and mods. The video was taken in the early evening with no winds and in the same location that I filmed flying an Ember with mods five year ago.

Ember with mods

Radian with mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDHz61sQLQ
Wow .....flies like a large Vapor or Night Vapor. I was thinking of buying a night vapor....glad I waited.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2014, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
As my wife is away, I can play all day. After Church that is. The winds are forecasted to be light today so I should get in two or more hours of flying at 10 feet up close to observe the changes in flight made by the Post-it TABS.

The TABs as pictured on the Radian seem to reduce the flying speed by about 5%. They are acting as fixed Krueger flaps. The glue on the TABs hold them to the wings at the speeds I am fly. I fly with them in one position and then easily change their positions to observe what happens.

Today, I only have about 50 plus changes to observe to see how I can improve the slow flying characteristic of the UMX Radian.
May 19, 2014, 10:55 AM
Quote:
As my wife is away, I can play all day. After Church that is. The winds are forecasted to be light today so I should get in two or more hours of flying at 10 feet up close to observe the changes in flight made by the Post-it TABS.

The TABs as pictured on the Radian seem to reduce the flying speed by about 5%. They are acting as fixed Krueger flaps. The glue on the TABs hold them to the wings at the speeds I am fly. I fly with them in one position and then easily change their positions to observe what happens.

Today, I only have about 50 plus changes to observe to see how I can improve the slow flying characteristic of the UMX Radian.

No video ????
May 19, 2014, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Let’s see if the boys at Horizon can fly as low and slow around trees with their Radian. It takes me about 30 seconds to remove my mod and 1 minute to install the regular wing for more speed and higher winds. I needed to stay low to clear the low tree branches.

UMX Radian flying around trees (2 min 59 sec)
May 20, 2014, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Letís see if the boys at Horizon can fly as low and slow around trees with their Radian. It takes me about 30 seconds to remove my mod and 1 minute to install the regular wing for more speed and higher winds. I needed to stay low to clear the low tree branches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1B3dl9Cds
Now that is the kind of flying I like. Thanks for the video....Can't wait o get my wings.
May 20, 2014, 10:41 AM

Love that slow flight.

Now if only Horizon would see that some of us don't need or want the speed and produce a nice and SLOW 4ch that us slow people can learn with.
May 22, 2014, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Everyone needs to try this mod. Use it in winds under 5 MPH or indoors to go low and slow. The wings can take the stress of many, many loops. It enlarges the flight parameters of this great aircraft with little extra cost and little effort to do. Horizon should make a replacement/extra wing like this to sell to us. Or, just make more old Citabria wings!

UMX Radian Mod C (citabria wings) Looping - low & slow (1 min 11 sec)
May 23, 2014, 02:29 PM
FastEddie123
Quote:
My 3 in 1 Radian. Citabria wings to go very slow with control. The regular wings for more wind and outside flying. Then the Mig-15 wings to go fast and high winds. So far, the Citabria mod is the winner for me.

Need to do more testing with the Mig-15 wings as the AS3X sometime makes the aircraft weave from side to side. Hope to have video of the Radian with the Mig wings on soon.
You'll need some dihedral using the mig wings to get it to fly correctly -if no ailerons - 2c ed
May 25, 2014, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
I did some testing on the regular Radian wing with TABs and one upside down Citabria wing.

To give you a measure of what to expect in speed differences, I timed flying the same circuit in my front yard. I flew many circuits with one type at the slowest speed I could achieve before averaging the speeds.

Horizon Radian with no mods = 11 seconds

Radian with Horizon wing and mods = 15 seconds

Radian with all Citabria wings (Mod C) = 19 seconds

The longest flight time equates to the slowest speed. So far, I am still very pleased with using all Citabria wings.
Last edited by twoplanekid; May 28, 2014 at 08:50 AM.
May 28, 2014, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Taking it as high as I dare with my limited view of the sky, I decided to slow fly and try keeping it in one spot. It’s best viewed in full screen and may be a tad long for some. Still having fun with the Radian Mod C

High Flight of the Radian Mod C (4 min 31 sec)
Last edited by twoplanekid; May 28, 2014 at 08:48 AM.
May 28, 2014, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Taking it as high as I dare with my limited view of the sky, I decided to slow fly and try keeping it in one spot. Itís best viewed in full screen and may be a tad long for some. Still having fun with the Radian Mod C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWSQbK5ZfnM
I did some of that today, not quite that high. I was using a full wing on top, haven't cut it down yet, can't figure your dimensions. Could you give some dimensions?
BTW...thanks for the fast shipping of the wings.
May 28, 2014, 07:59 PM
Nice flying twoplanekid! You have certainly figured out how to make that Radian float. Mine arrived today, but I probably won''t have time to maiden it until this weekend. Thanks for sharing the video.
May 28, 2014, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ66
I did some of that today, not quite that high. I was using a full wing on top, haven't cut it down yet, can't figure your dimensions. Could you give some dimensions?
BTW...thanks for the fast shipping of the wings.
You are welcome. The third Citabria wing is cut to 1/2 width mounted upside down, leading edge forward. The length of the wing is unchanged. I secure it with a little tape. If left uncut, it tends to lessen control and is too heavy. The 1/2 cut seems to add some lift, helps with control, less weight and braces the wings for loops.

Also, please try using the Post-it TABS. I may and should do a video of the MOD C to help others understand how easy it is to do, how to do it, and why it is done this way. I hope you enjoy this mod as much as I do.

If others have suggestions, please speak up and help make this MOD even better.

Rick
May 29, 2014, 05:20 PM
Just got back in from flying it in a dead calm......wow it is flies so sloooow. My kind of flying !!!!
I will cut the top wing in half and pick up some post-it tabs. FUN FUN FUN !!!
May 30, 2014, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
"TOUCH" & Go with the Radian -- goto the halfway point to see the Mod C in action!

Touch & Go with the UM Radian & Mod C (4 min 25 sec)

Enjoy,

Rick

Quick Reply