PicaSim: best simulator for slope soaring & slope aerobatics - RC Groups
Apr 22, 2014, 06:14 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Mini-Review

PicaSim: best simulator for slope soaring & slope aerobatics

I've been using PicaSim (and SSS prior to that) for over a decade now and it continues to get better and better.

Its modeling of slope soaring is second to none, in my opinion equal to Aerofly and vastly superior than RealFlight and Phoenix (both of which completely ignore gliders for all intents and purposes).

Although the graphics are not as snazzy, the flight modeling is excellent and Danny Chapman, the developer of PicaSim, works very closely with experienced pilots to get things just right (ask me how I know )

In fact the aerodynamic simulation has gotten so good I am able to successfully practice "Madflight", a style of slope aerobatics wherein the elevator (and sometimes rudder) is capable of 180 degree rotation, allowing a Lomcevak-like flip around the pitch axis.

Here is a quick video I did showing how to replicate a classic move by Benoit Paysant-Le Roux with his Madslide glider.

Bottom line: PicaSim is the best simulator for those interested in slope soaring and especially hardcore slope aerobatics practice, hands down.

OH AND IT'S FREE, TOO

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/

Studying the Masters: BPLR's Mad Snap (1 min 15 sec)

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Apr 22, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 09:26 PM
And Repairs
Picasim is a great slope sim. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but hoping someone subscribed has USB to Lightning adapter advice. Currently I can only use the sim on my iPad without a connected controller. Thumb on the screen is ok, but hoping to connect a transmitter - ideally my RealFlight Interlink Elite transmitter.

Can a transmitter be connected to iPad with an adapter?
Any specific adapter that is known to work to connect the RF transmitter to the Lightning port on an iPad? Amazon reviews on most are pretty marginal, so wondering if someone has advice for a safe bet.

Or I’d actually like to use PicaSim on the windows laptop. Picasim loads fine, but I can’t get the sim to operate correctly with the Interlink Controller.

Thanks
Last edited by TyFlies; Oct 31, 2017 at 11:27 PM.
Nov 06, 2017, 05:08 AM

for TyFlies

I have been using an Interlink (+) for some time with PicaSim. first of all make sure windows sees it (devices and printers)and it can be calibrated.
Then in PicaSim you need to select it and set up channel assignments. I haven't had to do it for several years so don't remember the exact pages to go to.
Also you might try the forum at the PicaSim website. you can access it from the simulator, hit the "?" on the start-up screen, click website at the bottom, and find "forums" in blue in the text. I think there is even a sticky there for setting up a TX. Or ask there, the forum is still active.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:54 AM
And Repairs
Great! Thank you.

Edit: Figured it out. Works great.
Last edited by TyFlies; Nov 07, 2017 at 10:23 AM.