Oct 07, 2021, 12:29 PM
we can take off without that
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
I have the "regular" FMS PRO 80mm unit in mine. INSTALLED thrust is 2.65kg, and weight ready to fly with a 3800 pack is 2.2kg.
That is a great setup, I remember reading your figures in Herb's blog. Very tempting to try that as the T/W ratio is so huge, and I doubt my weaker setup would have anywhere near that T/W ratio.
I even have the FMS Pro 80mm stock unit. The only thing that would hold me back is that I would have to buy new batteries, I think the current selection of 3200mah and 3300mah I have currently are too small for a 100A draw of that fan.
And I need to get a set of batteries for my 90mm jets, which may be a bit heavy for the Mirage.
Which 3800 packs do you use?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2021, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Never had three at once. The first was when they first came out and after flying it a while I put a Jet Fan 8S in it. Very fast but it lost some of the fun factor because of weight and the balance I had. I bought a second one and tried to make it as light weight as possible, stock motor, plastic fan shroud and lighter, smaller 3600 batteries. It was nice having two extremes. I sold the first and replaced it as it had so many flights on it and replaced it with a new one that got a fan, motor and ESC from the A-4. Then about two years later I crashed the then old light weight one. I would buy another in a heartbeat if they brought back the original scheme. I do not like the Tiger Meet versions looks. I even made a thread about bringing it back.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...reeWing-Mirage

The Mirage is a very special airplane.

I use and light 6s 3600 ( 470 gr ) , freewing
80mm 9 blade fan very light,
- Rotor Blade Material : Nylon Composite With Fiber
- Weight: 282g
- Rotor: 80mm , 9 Blade Normal
- Motor:: 3530 1900Kv Outrunner Motor (Installed)
- Working Voltage: 6s 22.2v
Oct 14, 2021, 08:56 AM
Hello all still deciding on what edf to buy. Yes it’s my first and yes Evan I know buy the Avanti. I’m just not sure what I want as I like speed but I also like 3D flying. Sport models I’m guessing won’t high alpha and models like this delta wing will. I’m an experienced pilot with speed and slow maneuvers. I get bored quickly so I’m really dragging my feet on what to buy. Yes I realize this isn’t a sport edf but maybe that’s not what I’m looking for. Is this model a good performer all around?
Oct 14, 2021, 09:34 AM
Retired US Navy
As said before "all around" has different meanings to different people. To me, no, it's not a good all around plane because it acks some of what a sport EDF or even some scale EDFs like the Yak130, F-18's or even the Gripen can do.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is a 200mph blaster either. Stocks it's a good 130-135, compared to speed prop planes that's nothing.

You are getting close to the end of your season, it seems like you should poop or get off the pot...

Looks like you even made some offers and maybe bought batteries for the 70mm Avanti and a offer on the 80...
Last edited by Evan D; Oct 14, 2021 at 09:41 AM.
Oct 14, 2021, 09:40 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Sukhoi 35. Not fast, but it does everything else.
Oct 14, 2021, 09:41 AM
Quote:
As said before "all around" has different meanings to different people. To me, no, it's not a good all around plane because it acks some of what a sport EDF or even some scale EDFs like the Yak130, F-18's or even the Gripen can do.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is a 200mph blaster either. Stocks it's a good 130-135, compared to speed prop planes that's nothing.

You are getting close to the end of your season, it seems like you should poop or get off the pot...
I have other planes to fly in winter haha. I get what your saying and realize it’s not a 200 mph unit. I don’t need it go 200 but the ability to do some other things besides go fast would be great.
Oct 14, 2021, 09:56 AM
Retired US Navy
The new Vulcan is pretty quick.
Oct 14, 2021, 09:58 AM
Quote:

Looks like you even made some offers and maybe bought batteries for the 70mm Avanti and a offer on the 80...
Which Motion RC plane - in stock configuration - is faster than the Mirage ? I've flown myself or have seen flying most of their EDF jets and the Mirage still seems to be faster than most.
Oct 14, 2021, 11:42 AM
Retired US Navy
When I said "Don't fool yourself into thinking this is a 200mph blaster either. Stocks it's a good 130-135, compared to speed prop planes that's nothing." I was comparing to faster speed propeller planes. For example, the old Outlaw delta that Jerry Smith designed and sold plans for and then Extreme Flight bought the rights to and now kits. It is an honest 125-130mph airplane (originally designed more as an extreme aerobat and one that many have made much faster). Anyway it's about the same speed as the Mirage and much more maneuverable. Want speed, any cheap ol' S400 pylon plane easily does 160 or so. Heck I have an old Kyosho Ki warbird I electrified that is faster than the Mirage.

To go back to your question, Motion, in stock config, probably nothing but don't let the 90mm F-18 with the newer set up or the new Vulcan go up against it, or the old F-5. But again that wasn't my point..
Nov 22, 2021, 05:21 AM

This French pilot flies his high performance
Mirage 2000 V2, AUW 2137gr, 1920kv inrunner ,
9 blade fan with HRB 6s 4000, 605gr, for 4.3 minutes , controlled throttle, 3.4kg of thrust.
Very nice

CG 51cm from end of nozzle. 23gr lead at the tail.
Ailerons 10mm (high) 8mm ( mid) 4mm ( low ) 30% expo
Elevator 16mm ( high) 13mm (mid) 10mm ( low) 38% expo
Rudder 28mm (high) 23mm ( mid) 18mm (low) 50% expo

Freewing Mirage 2000C V2 “Tiger Meet” 80mm EDF High Performance - WINDYYYY FLIGHT (4K) (6 min 11 sec)
Nov 25, 2021, 02:52 AM

High AOA flying with Mirage 2000.

Freewing Mirage | High Alpha Maneuvers😎✈️ (4 min 33 sec)
Nov 26, 2021, 03:59 AM

Another high AOA performance of
The mirage :-) . With A3 L gyro :-)
FREEWING MIRAGE 2000 EDF JET | FAST PASSES & SLOW HIGH ALPHA: ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TEST (11 min 46 sec)
Nov 26, 2021, 11:22 AM
I love my Mirage, it has the unique ability to go slower and faster than all my other edf's
Nov 30, 2021, 02:34 AM

Got this black friday deal on Amazon.
$74 for two packs 6s 4000 60C.
$37/piece/590gr
Got good reviews on Amazon
;-)
Nov 30, 2021, 07:03 AM
I fly those exact packs in my Avanti 70mm and they work great! 4min flights no problem!

Quick Reply