Apr 21, 2014, 06:53 PM
Fly low, go fast
Thread OP
Discussion

Topflite pilots, show let's see some Warbirds!

All y'all Topflite Warbird pilots let's see them P-51 big and small, P-47 big and small, corsairs, spitfires, zeros, B-25s!
I love these planes especially the mustang. I've been around topflite models forever, flown the giant corsair, mustang tons of times, and my P-47 is almost ready.
Trevor
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2014, 03:55 AM
Not the most exact scale but for ease of build with a manual and great flyers the TF ARF's are hard to beat.
I kept my p-51 to under 20 lbs and she flat out hails and does the most scale looking large loops. Lands like a sport flyer.
Apr 25, 2014, 11:46 AM
Here are a few pictures of my P47. This is before the new engine install. This is when it still had a DLE55 in it.

Here is a picture of the Cockpit.

Here is the thread with the Saito FG84 R3 install.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2117907

Here is a pic of my unfinished Texan. Been working on it this winter and hope to fly it this summer.

I have the 60 size corsair as well, and love it. As mentioned, they may not be the last word in scale appearance, but damn they fly well.
Apr 25, 2014, 08:58 PM
Fly low, go fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecam
Not the most exact scale but for ease of build with a manual and great flyers the TF ARF's are hard to beat.
I kept my p-51 to under 20 lbs and she flat out hails and does the most scale looking large loops. Lands like a sport flyer.
I love all 3 of those beauties! Amazing airplanes! Some guy might give me his giant p-51 big beautiful doll like yours, and another might give me a p-40 that needs rebuild too.
Trevor
Apr 25, 2014, 08:58 PM
Fly low, go fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC8
Here are a few pictures of my P47. This is before the new engine install. This is when it still had a DLE55 in it.

Here is a picture of the Cockpit.

Here is the thread with the Saito FG84 R3 install.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2117907

Here is a pic of my unfinished Texan. Been working on it this winter and hope to fly it this summer.

I have the 60 size corsair as well, and love it. As mentioned, they may not be the last word in scale appearance, but damn they fly well.
Awesome, love Tarheel hal
Apr 26, 2014, 08:16 AM
Will this count? Rescued this "Red Box" T/F Harvard, (Canadianized production of the venerable AT-6) from where it had been hanging for over 2 decades on our flying club wall. Spanning nearly a year I gutted it and installed split-flaps, all driven from one central servo, retracts and an OS FS91.

During reconstruction I found at most 30% of the structure bonded together, roughly enough for display purposes. The wood had suffered as well from a pretty dry environment and had become brittle. Most was replaced. To strengthen the wing I routed a groove along the bottom spar and bonded in C/F tow. Pretty much indestructible now and I may have to repeat this process on the top if I want to do some strong inverted.

The biggest problem to date has to do with the landing gear. Spring wire simply will not do with the orientation, as any deflection launches it back into the air at the worst possible time or the stress rips the retracts out. Currently waiting to try the latest version with some modded Eflite 120 servoless and hacked up Robart struts.

One other thing to note is that this plane has proven to have the worst stall tendencies of any warbird I've flown. It will snap 90 degrees right or left instantly, yet will retain enough aileron control to bring it back quickly. Wierd. I did build a fixture to add 2 1/2 degrees neg washout when reskinning the wings. With no documentation other than the manual showing their method during construction, this was relatively normal to previous builds.

Still have to find something to simulate the wing joiner cover. Thought of the ARF bits, but not available separately.
Last edited by Cougar429; Apr 26, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
Apr 26, 2014, 10:31 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Cougar - great looking AT-6 I like your LG adaptation. A cure for wing stall is crow. We had a similar shaped model with bad wing tip stall characteristics. We programmed both ailerons up on a dial switch and just a little up on both ailerons the plane was rock steady. The former owner didn't recognize it gliding in for a slow steady landing.
Apr 26, 2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks. Took a bit of work on a Bridgeport to carve out new trunnions from 7075. The struts were fun, as well.

Would you advise mixing the crow with flaps?

Tarheel hal. Some beautiful scale work there.

p.s. Thought you might get a kick out of my crew.
Apr 26, 2014, 06:48 PM
Scale Builder
My late, lamented Top Flite (kit built) P-40E. Good flyer but some strange and tricky ground handling. Kept me on my toes!

Apr 26, 2014, 07:44 PM
I find on all my taildraggers toe-in is mandatory. This seems especially true with warbirds with narrow, tall legs.
Apr 26, 2014, 09:44 PM
Chad that is a great shot of the P40 covering the B17.

Cougar I don't want to hijack this thread about Top Gun planes. I do like my crow separate from the flaps because sometimes there's no need for flaps.
Apr 26, 2014, 11:25 PM
Don't think that's the case. I find with their internal box structure T/F are relatively heavy, hence the need for flaps, (at least on mine).

Note: After looking at the previous P-47's, I now regret selling both my unfinished kits. Perhaps one day I'll luck out and find another.
Apr 28, 2014, 03:04 PM
Here's my Giant kit
Apr 28, 2014, 07:44 PM

TopFlite P-47 Redbox Kit

Should be ready to fly in about a month or so.
Apr 28, 2014, 08:16 PM
Beautiful Jugs Baby !

Quick Reply