View Poll Results: So who is interested and what plane?
Are you high, PSS is for HIGH SPEED. 3 5.26%
Hell yes, A light Airacobra would be cool 17 29.82%
Hell yes, A light P-51B Mustang would be cool 16 28.07%
Hell yes, A light P-40 Warhawk would be cool 6 10.53%
Hell yes, A light F-80 Shooting Star would be cool 15 26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Apr 20, 2014, 03:06 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Ultra light PSS group build?

I seem to have generated a bit of interest in an ultralight PSS build by flying my light Airacobra at Weaselfest and the Dave Kellogg memorial fly. So lets see if there is any interest in a group build of some crazy light PSS

So here's the scoop on the ultralight PSS ship. My aircobra wieghs 22oz. I used a light layup fuse, these were usually made for electric conversions. They weight about 60% of a traditional fuse. The wing is sheeted with light 1/16 balsa. You have to hand pick the sheeting to get light stuff. The ailerons are light balsa, also hand picked. The leading edge is 1/2" sq balsa, although I am beginning to think that a small basswood LE might be a better way to go here. The tails are also light sheet balsa. To save more weight these are covered with monokote, But if you are good with a vacuum bag I suspect a light bagged wing would be about the same wieght. Very little to no bondo is used on these. Micro gear is used on these (my cobra uses a HS65/HS85).

Oh, and these also build pretty quick because there is not a lot of sanding, what there is, is sanding light balsa, so it goes quick.

These are for light air not for doing pumps. They don't have the weight for pumps and they are certainly not made to tap other planes. But if you want a PSS ship that will fly at Elwood, Dave's Beeach, Long Beach etc. Then these are the ticket.

The easiest plane to build light is the Aircobra. However the P-51B and P40 could also be made pretty light (but not as light as the cobra). So who's interested and what plane?

Here is the original build thread for my light Airacobra
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=aircobra

Short kits will be $120. Paypal funds to [email protected]
Shipping will be handled separately by Dan Sampson (ISRDAN), please contact him if you need your kit shipped.
Ozzie kits? Dunno shipped or delivered by Dan Cummins apparently?
With the number of people signing up the delivery of the kits will take a while. Lets shoot for June 14th as the "official" kick off and build party.

If your name is green, it means you have paid! (don't freek if it takes a day or two or... for me to update the list)

P-51B Mustang:
TFLG COW
Matin
COW
Surfimp PICK UP AT FAKE FEST
Rockbus (+1 extra fuse) Pick up at fest
droydx PICK UP AT FAKE FEST
mams1
DC812 pick up at fest
robh
Dale pick up at fest
Phil Herrington to be shipped
solsrfer to be shipped
IDOF3K to be shipped
Aku

Airacobra
Jim Thompson
Pismo cow
Dawsonh
RCpeterV to be shipped
Howsthewind (2) cow
Oran PICK UP AT FAKE FEST
Jolly01 to be shipped
solsrfer To be shipped

P-40
Glidesailrc

Me-109
TFLG Pick up at fest
IDOF3K to be shipped

F-80
Rubio cow
Steve Wenban (Standard Layup)
Brownie
Last edited by TFLG; May 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2014, 03:46 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Very interested...... I voted for a Mustang.
I already have a vintage CSD Cobra that I will be building just as you described.
This will be fun.......PSS every where!
Apr 20, 2014, 04:14 PM
I have interest
Apr 20, 2014, 05:10 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Count me in! A light P-51B would be rad. I will put a functional rudder on mine... and maybe a Madstab??

Which airfoil? I wonder if a SB96V / SB96VS combo would fit with a little microballooning? Yewwww

Steve
Apr 20, 2014, 05:58 PM
Mustang gets my vote too.

Ray

Who has too many planes in the queue.
Apr 20, 2014, 06:10 PM
F-80s are cool too
Apr 20, 2014, 08:56 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
My old slope scale Aircobra weighs about 25 oz....been flying it for years. Would be down for an ultralight mustang if it happens!

Andy
Apr 20, 2014, 09:05 PM
I would be in for a P-51b or a Aircobra
Apr 20, 2014, 09:43 PM
SoCal
Apr 20, 2014, 09:51 PM
Entropy is happening!

Light Airacobra P39/63

I would be interested in a light Airacobra if I could get someone to lay me up a light fuse and send it over here to Australia. Maybe Dan?
No need for cores, as I can do them myself.
I have a heavy one and really like it.

Too impractical due to the distance etc? Maybe not.

Jim.

edit: I'm not sure what the first question means? If it means what I think it does; I'm admitting nothing!
Apr 20, 2014, 10:13 PM
I want it to go fast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
F-80s are cool too
Interested!!!

I've been building a firecracker, P-80 and Lancair with 1/32 balsa and a balsa leading edge (1.7 oz kevlar as well). Then sheeted with 3.5oz uni and 2.something fiber glass.

Always been nervous to post because I do understand the LE is useless compared to hard wood LW...but was NOT looking to fly these planes in heavy traffic.

Light layup fuses could be awesome. Also hear the P-80 can be done super light because of wing position.
Apr 21, 2014, 01:09 AM
Launching!
Very interested.

JimT, I can ship your fuse as needed.....LMK.

DC
Apr 21, 2014, 02:30 AM
Entropy is happening!
Wonderful! Thanks Dan. Let's see if I can beg, bribe or otherwise persuade someone to lay one up for me. That is if the vote for the Cobra prevails.
If it doesn't, I might contact ISRDAN and see if he is still producing fuses.

Jim.
Apr 21, 2014, 02:41 AM
Bogan of distinction
Im in if thats doable.
Mustang sounds awesome, so many cool schemes
Apr 21, 2014, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
I suppose there is no reason to make this a one plane build. I think it would actually be easier for Dan to lay up several different fuses. That way he does not have to wait a day between popping fuses out. Might be cool to have a buncha different light birds "floating" about.

If you havn't already, post what plane you want so I can add you to the list.

List is on the first post of the thread
Last edited by TFLG; Apr 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply