Apr 20, 2014, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Motor/ESC for a custom 18 blade EDF 3d printed

Hi everyone!
I think this is the best forums section to post my question

Recently I made a modification for my bixler plane, I designed a 18 blades EDF 10cm diameter for 3D printing. And it works, but the stock motor ran overstressed and finally burn out.

I'm thinking to build a new pure EDF, with a new motor inside, not a modification using the original position of the stock motor. It will have a similar configuration, 18 blades 10cm diameter. FAN approximate weight is 25gr

please recommend me a good motor and ESC for the new experiment. It should operate with batteries 3S or 4S max.

for your idea here are some photos and the maiden flight video!

Bixler Custom 3D Printed EDF Maiden and Final Flight (4 min 22 sec)

Thanks! And sorry for my poor english.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2014, 03:28 PM
Nicely done!
Apr 20, 2014, 05:23 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Wow, that's a beautiful fan! Perfect look for airliners and such.

...and I should be the one to apologize for only speaking english.

What motor were you using first? If you were happy with performance, I'd just try a longer motor with the same kv.
Last edited by Steve C; Apr 20, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Apr 21, 2014, 03:40 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
if I were to make my own fan, its best to design it with an integrated inrunner. best cooling, lower weight, high efficiency. too bad that rotor is a drag brake on that glider.

good work on your fan though! cool to see a printed set up. now you gotta print a whole plane lol
Apr 21, 2014, 03:47 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
What I'm waiting for is to see what motor is suggested for a 100mm , 18 blade fan to run on 3s or 4s.
Apr 21, 2014, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your comments!

Steve C, flight performance was better with that than the original propeller, the amp draw much higher I suppose xD
I don't know the original motor specs , there aren'n any reference in the motor.

I can get a 1400kv 35mm diameter outrunner motor with a 60 amps ESC easily, I'm going to try with this configuration and then I'll go on with other options, if someone has mounted a similar EDF configuration, i 'll be pleased if the results were shared

Well, I'll keep working

Thanks!
Apr 21, 2014, 11:55 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
I say keep up the great work and let us know how it's going.

I just got a copy of Rhino 3D, so I can only hope to be able to do something like this some day. What cad program did you use?

Did you coat the fan rotor with something? It looks shiny in one pic. The quality of your printed parts is pretty darn good. I got a sample from one printer company and it wasn't nearly that smooth.
Apr 22, 2014, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C
I say keep up the great work and let us know how it's going.

I just got a copy of Rhino 3D, so I can only hope to be able to do something like this some day. What cad program did you use?

Did you coat the fan rotor with something? It looks shiny in one pic. The quality of your printed parts is pretty darn good. I got a sample from one printer company and it wasn't nearly that smooth.
I'm a newbie too in 3D design, I'm using now Atodesk Fusion 360, it's free for now and it's like a light version of Autodesk Inventor, for me it's more intuitive, but the only negative point is that it's a program that works in the "cloud", you need to have internet connection to create new pojects.

The fan blades were finished with a acetone bath, greatly improves the finish and improves the strength, in the first picture was not applied yet. Next time I'll do the same with all the parts.

Cheers
Apr 25, 2014, 04:12 AM
Apr 25, 2014, 12:16 PM
FireHawx
Very cool.
Apr 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
What 3d printer are you using?
Apr 26, 2014, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
I'm using a Prusa i3, It was very hard to build, I and my friend (owner too) had no prior knowledge of 3D printers, mechanical parts, electronics, calibration... but now I can't live without it xD

Finally I'm going to build a scale Boeing 787 turbofan - GE GEnx 1B
The fan design is nearly to be finished, there are some renders attached
Apr 26, 2014, 05:23 AM
Great CAD work Harcoreta !
Apr 26, 2014, 09:08 PM
world's slowest builder
I guess 3D printing may be able to make a rotor after all. I have not kept up with how strong the printed plastic materials are getting. Seems like it will be difficult to match the fiber reinforced plastics. Someone will probably find a way eventually. For now it works for the little low powered stuff. very cool!
Apr 26, 2014, 11:12 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
You guys seem to be blind sided-- the question was
Quote:
--please recommend me a good motor and ESC for the new experiment. It should operate with batteries 3S or 4S max.
Sure his work is nice--but the question remains.

Come on a 18 blade 100mm fan?.... on 3 or 4s?

Quick Reply