Jul 12, 2014, 03:32 PM

Transducers - how hot is too hot?

Just finished my first two flights on my FMS P-51 with the v4 .1 sound system and dual TT-25 transducers.

Awesome sound, and quite the crowd pleaser!!

As far as my only real concern at the moment ~

The transducers do seem to get fairly hot.
After a 4 1/2 minute flight, the magnet base of the transducers measured around 110 degrees F per my laser thermometer. I do have plenty of open space around the transducers (they're mounted as per the demo video of the install in the FMS v8 P-51). The control board seems to be staying at ambient temp.

How hot is "too hot" where these transducers are concerned?

Also, I'm using a Futaba 14SG radio in my P-51. Has anyone come up with a configuration that will allow you to turn the sound system on/off by radio control, instead of having to plug the sound system in to power each flight after the ESC and receiver have synced? It would be once if the MrRC power connection could stay plugged in to the battery harness...

Thanks !

Randy
Last edited by Chief58D; Jul 12, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2014, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief58D
Just finished my first two flights on my FMS P-51 with the v4 .1 sound system and dual TT-25 transducers.

Awesome sound, and quite the crowd pleaser!!

As far as my only real concern at the moment ~

The transducers do seem to get fairly hot.
After a 4 1/2 minute flight, the magnet base of the transducers measured around 110 degrees F per my laser thermometer. I do have plenty of open space around the transducers (they're mounted as per the demo video of the install in the FMS v8 P-51). The control board seems to be staying at ambient temp.

How hot is "too hot" where these transducers are concerned?

Also, I'm using a Futaba 14SG radio in my P-51. Has anyone come up with a configuration that will allow you to turn the sound system on/off by radio control, instead of having to plug the sound system in to power each flight after the ESC and receiver have synced? It would be once if the MrRC power connection could stay plugged in to the battery harness...

Thanks !

Randy
Hi Randy,
Sorry for the late reply, I am out of town an the moment. The heat should not be a factor for the TT-25 itself, they are well within the limits of what the card pushes out. Just keep the wires away from them so you don't melt them. And watch your hands when pulling the battery out.

Andrew
Jul 14, 2014, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying
Hi Randy,
Sorry for the late reply, I am out of town an the moment. The heat should not be a factor for the TT-25 itself, they are well within the limits of what the card pushes out. Just keep the wires away from them so you don't melt them. And watch your hands when pulling the battery out.

Andrew
Works for me -
Thank-you Andrew!

Randy
Aug 04, 2014, 02:08 PM
Andrew I have a question. Do the tt 25's have to face outwards? On a balsa ply model if the tt 25's turn the airframe into the speaker can I attach them to the ply motor box and get the required result?
Aug 04, 2014, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexta
Andrew I have a question. Do the tt 25's have to face outwards? On a balsa ply model if the tt 25's turn the airframe into the speaker can I attach them to the ply motor box and get the required result?
They probably should face out so you have the most vibration outwards as you can. I have mounted them onto an inside structure before with fairly good results, but my guess is there will be some loss. Let us know how it works out if you give it a try.

Andrew
Aug 05, 2014, 08:08 PM
Will do. I may tape them on and give it a go then I can remove easily and refit with cyno or epoxy to another part of the airframe
Sep 19, 2014, 01:30 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexta
Will do. I may tape them on and give it a go then I can remove easily and refit with cyno or epoxy to another part of the airframe

Any results with that Lexta? Sounds like an install I would consider as well.

Colin
Sep 19, 2014, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins
Any results with that Lexta? Sounds like an install I would consider as well.

Colin
Just got the sound system mounted and it is LOUD!

I attatched the 2 tt25's to the inside of the fibre glass cowl on foam squares. the base transducer is in the wing centre section on foam as well.

I changed the location of the tt-25's to the bottom of the cowl as I thought under G's they might come off mounted to the side of the cowl.

Will try and take some video
Sep 20, 2014, 11:55 AM
Arrowhead
So you mounted them to some foam, then epoxied the foam to the inside of the cowl? I may try that with my H9 Corsair or P-47.

Just got home from a test flight with my E-Flite T-34. I had installed a pair of TT-25s and a v4.1 card. It was really waaaaay too windy to be flying (28 km/h gusting 43), but I was keen to hear this in the air. Very impressive! Even with the plane well downwind, I could hear the engine sound. It was faint but still clear. In close, it was clear and volume was just about perfect.

I'll get some pics later when I'm repairing the plane. "Landing" was a cartwheel in some tall grass at the edge of the field. Those PTS planes are tough! Couple of little things to glue, and a couple of patches in one wing and she'll be airworthy again.
Sep 20, 2014, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
So you mounted them to some foam, then epoxied the foam to the inside of the cowl? I may try that with my H9 Corsair or P-47.

again.
Essentially, yes.
However I epoxied the foam to the cowl then epoxied the tt-25's to the foam.
As this was a conversion from a gasser the cowl should be able to handle the vibrations
Sep 20, 2014, 09:22 PM
Here is a little video of the sound
mrrcsound tt25's and base in my Seafury (0 min 38 sec)
Sep 28, 2014, 03:19 PM
Arrowhead
Here's the installation in my T-34. The card is up front by the battery. The TT25's are installed just aft of the canopy/hatch. I used "dollar store" foam board with the paper peeled off. Attached the transducers to that, and glued the foam to un-sheeted covering. One nice thing about the location is it's directly ahead of & above the air exit hole in the airframe. Cooling should be no problem!

Volume is excellent. Yesterday a buddy was starting the .40 nitro motor on one of his planes... he couldn't hear it over the sound system, even though we were at opposite ends of the pits!
Sep 30, 2014, 12:40 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Volume is excellent!

So when do we get to hear it?
Sep 30, 2014, 05:10 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins
So when do we get to hear it?
I'll see what I can do on the weekend. A bit of cellphone video is the best I'll be able to do
Sep 30, 2014, 10:43 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
That would be awesome!

Quick Reply