Apr 19, 2014, 09:33 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Discussion

Check out the new 84" span Gia-Norman kit!

Jim from RA cores is cutting 7 foot span balsa / ply Gia-Norman kits! Gia-Norman, pronounced like a combination of giant and enormous, is now in production.

We kept him under our hat until SEFF. To our surprise, we won "Best new plane" at SEFF 2014!

Anyway, what y'all think? Cute ain't he! We build 7 of these monsters in just 3 weeks. And 3 of the builders had never built a kit before! Somehow we all pulled it off and were even asked to fly them in the noon demos at SEFF.

4 of them are night flyers too. Mine specifically (the black and white cow) has more than 5700 LEDs inside (19 meters) and has a bomb drop bay big enough to drop a gallon of milk.

There are a bunch of pics, videos and info here on RCG, and at www.racores.com

Laine.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2014, 04:59 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
I have a question on power. I have a tacon power 110 I used in a 14lb cub on 8s 4000 and a 18x8 apc. would this be ok for norman it comes in at about 16.9oz
Jul 07, 2014, 04:57 AM
Cudda-Daddy
awesome. yes i need 1.
Jul 07, 2014, 07:32 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
The tacon 110 on 8S would be nearly perfect. We have one on a BIG Tunagy motor on 10S. 3000 watts. Flys awesome. Mine has a Hacker A50-12L on 6S. More than enough to fly well. Mine will climb at 45-60 degrees.

Another has a Cox 53 series motor on 8S. Nit also has excellent power. Another has a Eflite Power 90 on 6S. Again, good power.

Laine.
Jul 07, 2014, 10:28 AM
Cudda-Daddy
what are the wheels on this one? im guessing from a power wheels?
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...e-4439fe17.jpg
Jul 07, 2014, 05:09 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
what are the wheels on this one? im guessing from a power wheels?
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...e-4439fe17.jpg
Are those the ones coreman sent me the link for?http://www.powerwheelsservicecenter....or-dune-racer/ do they come withe the chrome part?
Jul 07, 2014, 11:28 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Yes sir! Those are the wheels. They do come with the chrome center. They are hard plastic , draggy and heavy, but the look so dang cool, I leave them on.

Laine.
Jul 08, 2014, 07:54 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
I think the BEST solution would be to order the chrome centers then build an EPP foam wheel to fit. If you made the foam tire in layers with lightening holes on the inner layers it would save a lot of weight, give the same finished look and add some suspension to the landing gear.

Currently, with the hard plastic wheels, I am VERY cautious to make a perfectly smooth landing. I have zero "give" in my landing gear since I use an aluminum sleeve with an aluminum axle through it. Add the hard plastic tires if I land too hard I could break the structure.

Other people have used fiberglass "marker rods" from Home Depot to give a little cushion. It seems to work pretty well. So far, none of them have broken any wood even on "not so good" landings. I did bend my axle once, but no other issues. The design is pretty dang strong!

Laine
Jul 08, 2014, 11:00 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Man, a build thread on this would be so cool.

Howabbouddit?..

Chuck
Jul 08, 2014, 02:38 PM
Dave The Geek
That looks cool.
Someone should take the eyes and rig them up to look the direction along with the Ailerons/Rudder and Elevator.
Jul 08, 2014, 05:23 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Wow! Best new plane. That is a big honor. Nicely done. That means a lot to the RC community.

I bet those planes will be flying off the shelves now.

Frank
Jul 08, 2014, 08:06 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Man, a build thread on this would be so cool.

Howabbouddit?..

Chuck
If I get get to feeling the need for another one, heck yeah! Otherwise, maybe one of the fellas currently building one would post some build pics.

Laine
Jul 09, 2014, 11:34 AM
Kit Manufacturer

Build Log

I've pointed the latest group of Gia Norman builders to this thread to hijack it as a Build Log/discussion

Here are the latest assembly drawings
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham
Jul 10, 2014, 10:08 AM
Leesburg FL

Started Build

I started my build a couple days ago, initially to just sort the parts and maybe start the rear section. One thing led to another and the fuselage is just about done. The last thing I needed is to get another project started, but it went together so easily, it was hard to stop.

Great job on the drawings, as that's all you need to put this thing together.

What have folks found to be the best CG location? I was going to start with about 25% of the wing cord, as that works with about everything.

Next step is the horizon stab and rudder. Then I'll do the wing. I'm going to add the lights, cargo bay and hard points befor I cover it. Nice wood kit!
Name: image.jpg
Views: 178
Size: 347.2 KB
Description: Norman Fuselage