Mar 29, 2004, 12:12 AM
TeamZiering
Thread OP

My Great Planes Venus .40 Conversion

For the past several months, I have been working on converting a Great Planes Venus .40 to electric power. It's been no easy feat. Today, I had a chance to needlessly risk all of that work ...I took it transmitter in hand.

My power setup:

Axi 4120/14
Jeti Opto-Isolated 70 Amp Speed Controller
14 2600Mah Nimh Cells
13x8 Propeller (Drawing about 40 amps)
13x10 Proppeller (Not tested, but drew about 48 amps(!) )

HS-85MG Servos in the ailerons and on the rudder.
The elevator is joined with a wire and 30 minute epoxy, and is powered by a GWS Standard size servo since one of the HS-85MG's went bad on me. (I prolly should warranty it, it never made it to the air)

I'm using a receiver pack to power all of that

My Receiver is a Polk Hobbies Tracker 2. I love it because I can set it to any channel I want. I've been dealing with a lot of transmitter issues lately, and this has made things easier.

The Venus is built pretty much stock except for two things: I cut out the battery bay, and epoxied staples in, the staples are holding in strips of velcro. Also, the inside of the wing has a 5 or 6 inch strip of velcro. High G forces still worry me a little bit, but I did some flying today, and the pack was very secure when I came down.

I'm going to take a note from Kyle Mashima and cut away that former so that I can move the battery up further. Today, I needed 3 oz's of nose weight to balance correctly.

The only other problem I ran into was the prop adapter would not bite on the shaft. Since I was using electric props, I had to put a washer between the prop and the back plate. The washer was 5/16'' and cost like .50 cents at Home Depot. I have lots of extras....

Special Thanks:

Freq and Goodtill
Kyle Mashima
Tom Hunt, and all the NEAT Fair people.
Jason Shulman and the Hacker Team (He got me and my brother started on these large planes at the NEAT Fair)
BCSF (Most Bad a.. club on the eastern searboard)
SCTS (...Second most bad a.. club on the eastern Seaboard)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2004, 12:14 AM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
Low pass.
Mar 29, 2004, 12:15 AM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
Wringing it out...
Mar 29, 2004, 12:16 AM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
I wasn't alone in flying big planes at the field, even my brother got in on the fun.
Mar 29, 2004, 12:22 AM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
The flight report: SWEET. The knife edge is going to need a little work, as it has some belly tuck, but it still point rolls REALLY nice. I was doing inverted 4 pointers today, and it just tracks really smooth. The elevator servo is having some issues with centering that kind of made the outside maneuvers a little interesting, but that will be taken care of in time. I honestly expected the plane to be faster than it was. I think if I make the jump to the higher pitch prop it'll move better.

I'm really happy with the way things went. I have some nice vertical, though not unlimited. The motor and batteries came down at very very reasonable temperatures.

The coolest thing is that this plane, other than the prop noise, is just dead silent. You can even hear it whistling when it passes you. Sooo cool. Now ... If I put lipos in this that could hold 45 amps... hmmm I feel my wallet getting lighter already.

-Josh
Mar 29, 2004, 01:51 AM
Got any pictures of your battery access?

I converted one a year and a half ago and sold it not long after. I have been wanting another one so I have one on the way now and I will be using the same setup and hatch I did back then as it worked really well. The only difference is I will be using lipos as thats all I fly now, here is a link to my old thread and something about 16 round cells, whatever they are?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=venus
Mar 29, 2004, 02:25 AM
Congrats! Looks like your hard work paid off. I think the tucking to the belly is pretty normal even with the CG set right.

-- Kyle
Mar 29, 2004, 10:54 AM
Nice one, mine is still under by bed with the hatch already cut off but no more done yet. I was going to use my 4120/14 but the mount i had was too wide at the front and it got left alone. I am going to do mine with a Mega 22/30/3, superbox 3:1 and 16 GP3300's. They are very good cells, if you can get some they will probably give you another 2 mins flight time. Of course Lipo's are much better if you can afford them, a 5s4p over here is 280ish (not far from $500!). Are you going to try mixing a little up in with rudder to help knife edge? You can see how much rudder can effect pitch by putting in a lot of rudder while flying straight and level, a couple of my models head straight for the ground Some pics of your hatch would be good.
Mar 29, 2004, 12:56 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
I'm kind of a purist, I don't want to have to 'man the mixing switches' while I'm flying. Precise flying should be accomplished by the pilot. I'm going to be playing with the center of gravity and aileron reflex. I'd rather not mix anything. (That makes me dependent on my own tx etc etc)

-Josh
P.S. Pictures when I get home.
Mar 29, 2004, 12:57 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
Also, A 5s4p sound OVERKILL to me. With the new 10C cells, I was thinking that a much less expensive pack would hold the amps. Duration isn't a big issue for me.

-Josh
Mar 29, 2004, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by enigmabomb
Also, A 5s4p sound OVERKILL to me. With the new 10C cells, I was thinking that a much less expensive pack would hold the amps. Duration isn't a big issue for me.

-Josh
Alot of people already have those packs including me, its equivalent to a 16 cell round cell pack so its not really overkill.
Mar 29, 2004, 03:21 PM
BOSS
I was amazed on how well his maiden flight went, Not to mention the wind was gusting to 20mph. These bigger planes are addicting! I cant wait until I get back out there and fly my Freedom!

Jon
Mar 29, 2004, 03:25 PM
Tragic case
I think a 4S3P pack of the new cells will go close to powering the venus.

Should save 25% at least over the cost of 5S4P
Mar 29, 2004, 03:41 PM
Perhaps a 5s3p would be a good compromise with the right motor, higher volts, less amps for same watts and lighter/cheaper than 5s4p. I presume a 5s3p would be around 75% of the price of the 5s4p?
Mar 29, 2004, 04:41 PM
Josh: Very nice looking plane! I have a friend that is in the process of converting a Venus to electric as well. Can you tell me what your total weight was?

Kent.

Quick Reply