BPQ270 Folding Mini HQuad - Page 31 - RC Groups
May 10, 2015, 11:00 PM
ALL the out standing BPQ270 orders are boxed and waiting to meet Mr. Postman.

I did run out of BPQ240 frames, so I will cut more tomorrow. With luck they will hit the Post office tomorrow afternoon as well, certainly by Tuesday.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2015, 01:22 PM
Updated the web site a bit. Updated the assembly manual as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
May 19, 2015, 01:59 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
BTW, hating to can parts, sometimes I go too long before looking in the right places and look for the least expensive problem solver. It seems any problems I had with the 270 crashing was rx related. Replaced it and it is a brand new machine in performance and endurance. Need to share mistakes as it might save others time.

But I must also say that I put in a BEC first because my thumb discovered that the esc driving the power was way too hot. Instantly put the BEC in. Later I figured it could have cause the rx problem, or maybe it was the dirty water bath taken earlier. Who knows.
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
May 27, 2015, 05:26 AM
I was just looking over this thread and realized I've not posted pictures of the latest version of the bpq270.

It's lighter, stronger and has all the suggestions and feed back incorporated.
May 27, 2015, 08:48 AM
Looking nice and clean, Bill!
Jul 06, 2015, 08:50 AM
Testing new not so top secret prototype racer.
Lost a 5v wire (sigh).

oops no failsafe? (1 min 13 sec)
Last edited by cyberbillp; Jul 09, 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Jul 07, 2015, 04:42 PM
Ouch man. U can hear those esc startup tones.
Jul 07, 2015, 05:17 PM
You think the FC crashed or something?
It does sound like it's rebooting in the air or something.
Jul 09, 2015, 10:43 PM
So I found the issue.
I had a weak crimp on my 5v wire to the Flight Controller.
Jul 16, 2015, 06:50 PM
Announcement today.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2460199

Also, for anyone that's looking for some BPQ270 parts and upgrades, I have a bunch of new gear on the website. http://bpmultirotors.com.
Jul 21, 2015, 11:20 AM
New announcement.

It's with much reluctance that I've decided to retire the BPQ250/270 design.

When I first started on the BPQ250 design over a year and a half ago, my goggles were a welders face shield and a duct taped car back up monitor.

With my friends in what was the beginnings of the Brevard Multirotor Club, we were all flying micro quads (after we got tired of 450 sized quads) and strapping various tx chips and micro cams to them. We were at the grassroots of the FPV revolution.

It was all we could to do fly under a picnic pavilion, or go under a tree branch. Once we started making it through pavilions, and under park signs, that wasn't enough. Now we wanted to fly through the pavilion with gusto, at 40mph and expect to have enough parts left over to rebuild if we didn't make it.

The BPQ250 grew out of the desire to have a frame that flew fast, could hit hard, and get up and do it again a few minutes later.

Common conventions of the day dictated you needed a wet/dry design to isolate vibrations so your go-pro or mobius didn't record jello. Everyone wanted a quad you could fold into a backpack for easy portability. The BPQ250 met all these criteria.

But times and technology have changed. Smaller and ever more powerful motors came out. Speeds increased, and soon, aerodynamics came into play. FPV racing came to the forefront of the scene and now it wasn't enough to simply go fast, you have to go faster than everyone else.

So the BPQ underwent several revisions, all adding power by reducing weight, supporting 6 inch props, slimming down the profile and making it a faster frame while still holding true to its initial goals for a folding, video worthy, crash proof frame.

I raced this frame every week with my Cobra 2204 motors first using Hobbywing 12A ESC's, then Emax Simon Series 12A ESCs. I've run CC3D, Multiwii, Naze and Cleanflight controllers. Throughout it's life, I was always "in the mix".

Recently I upgraded to the latest BLHeli Oneshot SN20a ESC's and currently I'm using CC3D. With this configuration, I can not get the BPQ270 to tune correctly. I'm coming to the conclusion that what I'm asking from this frame is outside of it's design envelope. I could revert to using a 4.7mm base plate, and adding weight, but I find this distasteful. When I go back to using my Emax 2204 motors and everything else is the same, I can get it to tune and fly like a dream.

What I think is going on, is that the Cobra motors are so powerful, and the new crop of ESC's are so fast and responsive that it's exceeding the rigidity of this design. Using a single pivot bolt to secure the arms to a 3mm base plate is fine within a certain power and response limit. It makes for a lovely and forgiving quad that can be flown very, very fast. The hobbywing and simon series ESC's are a perfect match to this frame using the Cobra 2204 2300kv motors.

The problem is, I'm selling these frames. And you the customer, are not going to go buy last years technology ESCs to accommodate a two year old frame design. And nothing that we can do will bring this design into a suitable configuration so you can win a national championship with it.

I don't want to sell you something that isn't going to grow with you as a Flyer/Racer. I'm not really interested in selling what would be purely a trainer frame. The interest and market now lies in thorough-bred rigid framed racers like the Vortex and Voodoo. And I won't sell something that I don't honestly believe is the best on the market.

I will of course keep my CNC/CAD drawings available, so if anyone needs a part, I have them available.

I think the future belongs to ever smaller and faster designs. I recently introduced my 220mm racing Mini-Hex. It's an unbelievable rocket and looks to be extremely competitive on the race course. Rigid, wicked fast, packed with support for the latest tech right out of the gate. If your race org lets you run a hex, you should destroy all competition with this machine.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2460199

Next up will be my Top Secret Micro racer. The local crew is drooling all over it. It's designed for the latest tech; 4S 130 watt motors and SN20a BLHeli ESC's. That's 520 watts of power on a frame that weighs less than 32 grams.
Oh yes: .7 horsepower. Mmmmmmm
It will be available once it's suitably tested. Probably by the end of July.

And finally, to fill the hole left by retiring the BPQ270 design, I will introduce a "completely new from the ground up" modern 250 Mini-H racer design. Like the BPH220, it will start out as a 4S and BLHeli Oneshot capable design. It will be rigid, have 6 inch prop support, and be 100% pure-bred racing. This design credo will allow it to be even lighter, while still being stronger. I'll make it smaller so it'll be easier to transport, but not a folding design. If you have any requirements that you want in your next frame, post them here. I'll get them into the design.

And so the BPQ270 flies into the sunset.
Last edited by cyberbillp; Jul 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM.
Jul 21, 2015, 12:49 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
R.I.P. BPQ250

I knew ye well.
Jul 21, 2015, 05:16 PM
Awesome picture Jefty!