Mar 28, 2004, 07:17 PM
PRO BRO #1691
Yippee!

Yet another Brushless SS question

Okay gang, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I've been flying my slow stick for well over a year now and while I'm also flying a GWS P-51 I feel I'm ready to a bit of hovering.

I've been reading these forums for months now and have done a bit research. I think I've got all the proper components.

Here is what I have:

Nippy Black 1208/180
Jeti 18-3 ESC
GWS 9.6v/730mAH

My delimma is that when I goto throttle up I can only get up to 1/4 to 1/2 on my stick before my motor shuts down. I'm baffled as to why it is doing this. All I can think of is my ESC shuts down as it approaches my shutdown current.

If that is the case what can I do, if anything to prevent this?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Kado
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
You are correct - those lousy batteries of yours have no hope of keeping up with the demands of a Nippy 1208/180 and you are hitting the LVC. Those AAA cells are good for only 3-4A before they suffer dramatic voltage drop under load - your best bet would be to go to 8-cell 2/3AA KAN 650's - not much heavier than the 730 AAA's but able to deliver 10A without trouble.

Cheers, Phil
Mar 28, 2004, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Would a 3s 1500 Tanic (10C) at 15amps and 11v for less weight and twice the run time also work? Unless LiPo is out of the question.
Mar 28, 2004, 10:46 PM
Been There! Done That!
Sarge,
Max amps on that motor is 12A. So with that pack you would have to use a 7 X 5 APC SF or a 8 X 4 APC E prop or you are over the 12A and even the 8 X 4 would be actually pulling about 13A!
Your max thrust would be with the 8 X 4 at about 14oz. Kado what prop are you using now with the 8 cells? Yopu're not going to get much more than 14oz of thrust from that motor no matter what you do!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Last edited by boomerace; Mar 28, 2004 at 10:50 PM.
Mar 29, 2004, 12:07 AM
Nickel what?
A SS wont hover real well anyhow... A good 3d ship would be a better recipient for that motor combo, and you'll also have an easier time learning
Mar 29, 2004, 12:39 PM
PRO BRO #1691
Phreakish, I'm aware that the SS doesn't hover real well. I would just like to try it before I go out and buy another airframe that may get destroyed due to my lack of skills.

Now then is there a NI-MH battery that I can use that would give me the required power for this brushless setup?
I would like to stick w/ NI-MH because that's what I currently have and don't have any extra cash lying around for Lipo's.

Kado
Mar 29, 2004, 01:48 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Go with the KAN 650s, they are among the best hi-discharge Nimh out there for the price. I had the same problem with a Mini AC and Phil helped me out as well, recommending KAN 1050s; worked like a charm!
Mar 31, 2004, 11:00 AM
PRO BRO #1691
Just curious, where can I get those Kan 650's?

My LHS doesn't have any.

THANKS!!

Kado.
Mar 31, 2004, 11:07 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kado
Just curious, where can I get those Kan 650's?

My LHS doesn't have any.

THANKS!!

Kado.
Get the 650's from www.cheapbatterypacks.com as they are the same cells.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com