Apr 17, 2014, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Beginer needs help!!!!!

Hi last year we purchased a Miss Geico Catamaran. It seems to start and stop and then doesn't start at all. The Hobby Store that we purchased it from said it may be from over charging the battery. So we purchased a new battery and it is doing the same thing again. Any suggestions?

I know this is pretty much a beginners boat, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be a dependable boat for less than $400? Really more interested in runtime vs speed.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2014, 04:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Loose wire or a heat or over voltage cut out comes to mind.
Possible that drive shaft is not spinning freely, and binding.

Seems like people like the Atomik Barbwire.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1861058

Tug boats get lots of run time... hours.
Apr 17, 2014, 05:35 PM
Which size of Miss Geico is it,
The size does matter as the internals of the boat are very different.
Apr 17, 2014, 06:19 PM
Like Umi_Ryuzuki said , I would check flex cable . all boat need maintenance form time to time .
Last edited by rhardy60; Apr 17, 2014 at 06:27 PM.
Apr 18, 2014, 05:17 AM
Thread OP
It is the Miss Geico 24. Unfortunately the Hobby shop I purchased it from aren't much help. I looked at the wires and also checked the driveshaft. everything seems to be tight and there is nothing binding the shaft.
Apr 18, 2014, 05:42 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderholic
1) It seems to start and stop and then doesn't start at all.
2) The Hobby Store that we purchased it from said it may be from over charging the battery.
3) So we purchased a new battery and it is doing the same thing again.
Any suggestions?
Hi BH,

Did you try to set-up the ESC according to the manual again?
Did you bind the ESC to the transmitter?

1) There's no such thing as 'seeming to start', a motor either runs, or it doesn't.
Please tell us what you did to get the result you describe.
Was this in the water or on the bench?
Was the battery fully charged when this happened?
What type of battery are you using, Lipo, or NiMH?

2) Which charger is used to charge the batteries?
Properly used, a charger should not be able to overcharge the battery...

3) which battery did you purchase and did you charge it prior to using it (I know, stupid question, but you never know...)

Did you pull the flexshaft after every day of running the boat?
Dried and regrease it?

Regards, Jan.
Apr 18, 2014, 05:52 AM
Quote:
It is the Miss Geico 24. Unfortunately the Hobby shop I purchased it from aren't much help. I looked at the wires and also checked the driveshaft. everything seems to be tight and there is nothing binding the shaft.
So you grease the flex shaft after maybe 8 runs or so right ? Is it brushed motor or brushless ? If it's brushed motor the motor could be going out . lmo
Apr 18, 2014, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Everyone for your help!!!

I called the Hobby Shop that I purchased it from and they suggested I replace the ESC and or the transmitter. It really ticked me off. they never even looked at it when I brought it in and heck, I mind as well just purchase a new boat.

I took all of your suggestions and basically took everything out and inspected and replaced it. Greased the flex shaft and re-bind the unit. BINGO!!! I now have two functioning batteries which isn't bad to have and I learned a lot about keeping this thing running. lol But please don't hate me if you see me here again... Thanks to all and Happy Easter..
Apr 18, 2014, 03:51 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
You have to come back,...

We want video!

Apr 18, 2014, 04:11 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
I really do hate it ,when point of sale is no help.

Im glad you got it fixed up...

A real Hobby shop dealing these things should at least be able to break down the basic's with you in store ..

Sounds like you bought yourself time to look around for a new hobby shop. I would.

In the mean time.. giver heck!!! and post lots of pictures...
Apr 18, 2014, 04:12 PM
Quote:
...please don't hate me if you see me here again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
You have to come back,...
Most of us keep coming back here! it's what makes this place fun!

Enjoy your new boat- A warning, they can be addictive!
Apr 18, 2014, 04:14 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
I don't know if your in Canada..

but read this:

Canadian only Recall

http://www.dynamiterc.com/ProdInfo/F...500_Recall.pdf
Apr 18, 2014, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee
I really do hate it ,when point of sale is no help.
...not to go "OT" but good service is normally what you get when you pay a slight premium at a quality hobby shop.

Try not to undercut the knowledgeable suppliers just to save a few dimes, if you can.
Apr 18, 2014, 04:21 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
...not to go "OT" but good service is normally what you get when you pay a slight premium at a quality hobby shop.

Try not to undercut the knowledgeable suppliers just to save a few dimes, if you can.
Aero..Im daft.
You saying , trim your price to undercut a reputable hobby shop.

If that's what your saying I get It.. Its like using the muzzle of a gun to plug your ear.

Sorry for the OT..
The reality is ,we just got another member to share experience's here. So it is a win situation ,
Apr 18, 2014, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Actually in Buffalo, NY. I wonder if they have a few good hobby stores over the border?

Quick Reply