Boeing P26 from Royal plans - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 16, 2014, 05:37 PM
team sleprock
Build Log

Boeing P26 from Royal plans

as the title says, this will be a "build from royal plans" of a P26 peashooter!

not sure what I am thinking, but here goes, this will probably be a long drawn out journey, filled with plenty of misery and joy!

there will be plenty of firsts for me in this build, so any help, or ideas will be appreciated!
as will as criticism! so don't be shy!

the plan is too use a 20cc two stroke gas engine!

it will be glassed, and painted!

got a copy of the plans, from a fellow RCG'er,

started with them and a sheet of 1/8" lite ply, and my scrap bin!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2014, 08:56 AM
ARFs Are Me
You are just beginning an unforgetable experience ! I built my first plans built model a year ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it ! I would have never thought that I would enjoy cutting my own parts so enjoyable.

That build motivated me to go a step farther. I am in the final stages of building a model from just a set of 3 views.

Once starting down this path, you may find it difficult to return to kit building.

I'm no expert, but if I can help you in any way, just ask.

Check this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1005782 for the way that I built my tail section. It may provide a few ideas on how to proceed.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:54 AM
team sleprock
Tom thanks, I have not seen that thread yet, that will give me some good reading for some time, I do keep an eye on most yours and Earl, and the gangs build logs!
which in turn has given me the motivation too do a build of this magnitude!

I will be taking my time on this build, and trying some new things, and I am glad too have you in the wings!
Apr 17, 2014, 03:30 PM
ARFs Are Me
[QUOTE=whiskykid;28114545]!

I will be taking my time on this build, and trying some new things, QUOTE]

You have the right idea.

There's no need to rush.

Trying new things is a fascinating aspect of our hobby. I try to employ at least one new technique in every build.
Apr 17, 2014, 09:31 PM
team sleprock
well burned up the last of my lite ply for the stringers!

this is my first, ok I will call it a clam shell build, I have done two slab sides and put together, but nothing like this!

for now all I need for the rest of the main fuse, is the lower rear stringers, and the rest of the firewall halves! as far as lite ply goes, that is! still a bunch of wood left to buy!
Apr 18, 2014, 07:03 AM
ARFs Are Me
Looking good !

Where do you buy your wood ?

I like to buy from the LHS, but one could go broke quickly.

For larger orders, I buy in bulk, mail order, figuring 25% over, to avoid running out.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:41 AM
team sleprock
I have not made a bulk order since my Pitts, and I think I got that from tower!

I plan on buying most of my balsa from my LHS, he gives us a 10% discount too the club flyers on airplanes, parts, and gear!

he has a good selection of Midwest balsa and ply!
and what he don't have, there is another general store in my town that has a Midwest bin also!

one of the things I need too learn, is the definitions for the different density's of balsa!

soft, med, and hard! is about my extent of that right now!

I know I want ,say like a med. den. for the rib's, and a softer lighter grade for the skin!

the plan is too pick through the bins the best I can, then probably go too like sig, or Midwest for a bundle of skin balsa when it comes time too skin the fuse or wings!
Apr 18, 2014, 02:04 PM
WhiskyKid has certainly plan built before, but plan building a warbird from kit plans might have some unexpected challenges?

I recommend mail ordering the wood if you need enough of it. I don't know about your hobby shop, but Midwest wood at mine runs about double the online rate. For that size warbird, I'd spend $50-75 on wood -after- getting the laser cut parts, so it should be worth your time.
Apr 18, 2014, 03:18 PM
ARFs Are Me
I agree. Midwest balsa must be grown from gold trees. They sure price it like gold.

There are several good balsa suppliers available to us. Whiskey, you'd save quite a bit, by choosing one. Nergall is right on about pricing. It will be two pieces for the price of one, by purchasing online.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:44 AM
team sleprock
ok guys, taking too heed, what you say, and with SIG in transition, doesn't look like you can even get bulk balsa right now, or I am missing something!

and Balsa USA is the only other I know of right off the top of my ol brain!

so is there another place you shop, like a coast biased house!

where shipping be cheaper from a warehouse on the west coast V's East?
Apr 21, 2014, 01:51 AM
I use Balsa USA. I think there are a few other places though, just never had a bad experience with BUSA yet, so I never tried anyone else.
Apr 21, 2014, 06:39 AM
ARFs Are Me
National Balsa has great wood in their kits. I would assume that they supply good wood, too. http://www.nationalbalsa.com/

BUSA is my go to supplier, but for the reasons you state. They are close to me.
May 01, 2014, 10:55 PM
team sleprock
well I have been all over the map again!

ordered parts for my Hawk Pro, got them, so now my .30 heli is ready too fly again!

got the 3 bladed spinner and prop for my F/A 18 so I fixed that plane and now she ready for some blue sky!

got the parts for my EXI 450 pro, and put the first battery through her today!

and while I was doing all that, I actually got some work done on the Peashooter!

got the rudder and vertical fin ready for shaping, and a good start I think on the horizontal stab. and elevators!(will get pic's of that soon)
May 02, 2014, 06:12 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
BUSA has 'seconds' wood for sheeting. -1/8" x 4" x 48"-less than $2 when I bought it last summer...It has grain 'stains' and some discoloration,and maybe a nick in an edge, but if you're glassing over it , it's perfect.
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 02, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
May 02, 2014, 06:45 PM
team sleprock
cookies! winner every time!

well upon further review, I will be making an order sooner then later! I checked out the remaining supply, not so good in either place!

but I did get a lil bit more done!