Mar 28, 2004, 12:20 PM
Been There! Done That!

Flight Pics of the Nippy Wasp!

It was a crappy morning but I took the long suffering Press out to the school to get some flight pics. Not her best effort but considering the fog and a plane that goes like a streak it wasn't too bad. Wind out of the North at 9MPH so it wasn't a pleasent flight! I can't get over how fast this thing is. I changed out the prop from the 11 X 4.7 SF to a 10 X 7 SF prop and the difference was night and day. As usual I have the throws cranked up to max and have slowly dialed in more and more Expo to make the plane manageable! Yeah I know I can crank down the throws but there goes my spinning like a top rolls! Still a little touchy on the sticks but I like it that way! This thing is as much fun to fly as my Attitude. I seem to just keep buying more great planes from Todd! I give this one a 10 pucker factor the way I have it setup. With the stock motor and recommended battery I would suspect it would be a fun plane as well but not so radical! Anyway on to the pics the Press was able to get. Between the size and the speed and quickness we had a few blank frames due to the lag from snapping the shutter to the actual recorded image. The Minolta Dimage Xi is one of the fastest but at the speed this flys it's hard to track!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
First pic is a careful climbout. (We tried a actual ROG pic but the frame only showed the asphalt)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2004, 12:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
First fly by. Actually the plane was much closer to the camera than it appears but Press didn't have the Zoom cranked up too much or she wouldn't have been able to get the plane at all.
Mar 28, 2004, 12:24 PM
Been There! Done That!
Second fly by
Mar 28, 2004, 12:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Coming around
Mar 28, 2004, 12:34 PM
Been There! Done That!
Last pic. This situation scared the crap out of me. From behind me and to the right a woman decided to take a short cut across the field to her house. I had been focusing my total attention on the plane as had my wife and we never saw the woman until this point. I was doing low flybys and was coming around for another and all at once here is this person in my flight path! Pulled up came around and landed and it was a good thing I did as a few seconds later here comes another woman doing the same! They have no concept as to the danger. If she had made herself known there would have been no problem! Sure the plane only weighs 11.2oz but at the speed it was flying it could have inflicted major damage! Woman is in the lower left of the pic so you can see I wasn't very far above her and she had her back to the plane.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Mar 28, 2004, 01:01 PM
BEC
BEC
Hmmmmmm.... one downside to silent outrunners - sometimes others truly don't know the plane is there.

I think you're inspiring me to cover the Wasp I built some time ago but stopped right at the covering stage. I modded it to add rudder and set it up for three CS-5.4s.

Was going to start with stock power then maybe PJS-300. Could still do that.

With the 0808/98 you have PLENTY of go power on that little thing....
Mar 28, 2004, 01:01 PM
Been There! Done That!
I lightened the pic and cropped it so you can better see how close I was.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Mar 28, 2004, 01:08 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
Hmmmmmm.... one downside to silent outrunners - sometimes others truly don't know the plane is there.

I think you're inspiring me to cover the Wasp I built some time ago but stopped right at the covering stage. I modded it to add rudder and set it up for three CS-5.4s.

Was going to start with stock power then maybe PJS-300. Could still do that.

With the 0808/98 you have PLENTY of go power on that little thing....
BEC it's a fun little Jewel. After I passed over her she noticed the plane and causualy looked up like it was a bird that just flew over!
I think if I add rudder I will just add to the Fin as it now exists. Should work great! ROGs are no problem with the power I have as roll out is almost none!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Mar 29, 2004, 12:01 AM
Heli Bouncer
Hi Boomer,

Did I miss the first flight of your Attitude also? Man I'm in a shameful way. So this is the Nippy 1812 in a normally-powered-by-a-IPS-motor, wasp? Holey smokes, and Mrs Boomer kept it in the viewfinder? Anywho, nice flight pics, and a sweet model.

Looee
Mar 29, 2004, 12:17 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by Looooeeee!
Hi Boomer,

Did I miss the first flight of your Attitude also? Man I'm in a shameful way. So this is the Nippy 1812 in a normally-powered-by-a-IPS-motor, wasp? Holey smokes, and Mrs Boomer kept it in the viewfinder? Anywho, nice flight pics, and a sweet model.

Looee
Loooeee the Atittude has the 1812 and the Wasp has the 808. But they both go like a bat out of hell! But even with the 808 the Wasp is a little rocket at full throttle and don't really slow down all that much at 1/2 throttle!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Mar 29, 2004, 03:18 PM
Nice Wasp, Boomer! Mine flies on an IPS-A with 3s etec 700 and 8x6 prop, and it's plenty zippy for me--I can't imagine what the nippy must do for it!
Mar 29, 2004, 03:30 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Smith
Nice Wasp, Boomer! Mine flies on an IPS-A with 3s etec 700 and 8x6 prop, and it's plenty zippy for me--I can't imagine what the nippy must do for it!
Matt it does keep the old heart pumping! Sometimes I think I'm getting too old for this...... Naw!!!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Apr 03, 2004, 02:22 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Hey Boomer,
If you like the Wasp you shoould try the Wasp maX. It's a bit bigger and has the rudder control. Go to www.cl-i-max.com and see it. I fly mine with an Astro 010 on 3s1p 1200's in C gear box with 11x4.7 prop. AUW is about 12 oz.

John
Apr 03, 2004, 02:26 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Guess you've been there. I see Dave has your pics up.

John