April 13, 2014 Overlook Sailport Fly-In - RC Groups
Apr 13, 2014, 03:17 PM
Close enough
Gallery

April 13, 2014 Overlook Sailport Fly-In

On very short notice this morning Ross and I met at Overlook Sailport. FOTC (Friend Of The Club) Buck was also there.

The winds were manageable and the lift was unlimited. The lift was so good that Buck's Calypso sailplane was lost to the heavens. It was last seen passing the sun heading north. Update: Buck went on an epic recovery mission and found his Calypso. See photos below.

The subgroup of glider pilots who occasionally meet at Overlook Sailport is Ross, Mark, Randy and Marc. If you would like to be included in these often last minute fly-ins let me know and I'll add you to our call list.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Apr 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Buck found his Calypso
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2014, 03:21 PM
Close enough

Marc's ROC Hobby V-Tail maiden

I had a successful maiden of my ROC Hobby V-Tail e-powered sailplane today. I was trying to set flaps and mixes but it was a little too windy to get it dialed in. But she flew well, had no problem finding lift, and landed nice and slow into the wind with full flaps.

Marc
Apr 13, 2014, 03:25 PM
Close enough

Ross's Serenity-EV 2.5M

Ross was having a lot of fun with his Serenity. The unlimited lift allowed for plenty of aerobatic activity. Loops, rolls, flips, tail slides, inverted flight and stall turns were performed with regularity by Ross today. It was exciting to watch.

Marc
Apr 13, 2014, 03:30 PM
Close enough

Buck's Calypso

Buck was enjoying the unlimited lift with his Calypso. But as it passed by the sun he looked away for a few seconds and never made visual contact again. The homesick angel was snatched by the heavens.

Update: Later that day, Buck went back to the canyon's edge with some binoculars to scope the area across the river. And he actually spotted the plane. On an epic recovery mission that involved hiking, getting swept down the Rio Grande, and breaking into his MRE rations, Buck recovered the plane. The fuselage was beyond repair, but the wings, tail, and electronics were salvaged.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Apr 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM.