Sep 12, 2020, 02:08 PM
neatr
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2020, 03:02 PM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Looks good ! Do you have dihedral on the wings or are the trailing edges swept back? Make sure your prop is on facing forwards .
Thanks and the trailing edges are swept back. But the motor is facing backwards!
Sep 12, 2020, 03:04 PM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
The good reasons for downsizing the prop are if you find the motor is running hot, or if you have more thrust than you need and a smaller prop will still give adequate performance, but now better flight time. I use a lot of 7x6 props on that size motor.

Triple blades are a crap-shoot. For years I've watched for actual thrust data comparing the two types and the results were never consistent from case to case. Flybrushless.com has a ton of actual prop test data if you're interested. Mostly old motors, but match up with kv and weight and it will be good enough info.
Thank you for more valuable information. I will try a 7" prop at some point to see the difference for myself.
Sep 12, 2020, 03:05 PM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
neatr
Thanks!
Sep 15, 2020, 03:31 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
That is a pretty intense design. I imagine that it will scream with the ducted fan motors. I hope you will upload a video of it in flight.
Each day brings more progress on this build, just about finished silver plating it to give it bit of lift with touch of religious magenta, my favored tone.
It's actually called 'plum fun', weird name for a colour mix.
It sounds pretty sweet after test runs of single and twin set up so far, thanks to 12 bladers.
Sep 15, 2020, 11:38 AM
Just out for fun
That is a very cool design! You sure have put a lot of work into the details and paint. Is that DT foamboard or EPP?
Sep 16, 2020, 03:05 AM
jofro
TX Mate, painting and silver finish is taking most of the time in project like this, some 200 hour job before its premier flight.
It is laminated Depron sheeting reinforced with carbon fiber tubes and ply wood keel along the full length.
After few more touches today it's taking a shape.
Sep 16, 2020, 06:47 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
TX Mate, painting and silver finish is taking most of the time in project like this, some 200 hour job before its premier flight.
It is laminated Depron sheeting reinforced with carbon fiber tubes and ply wood keel along the full length.
After few more touches today it's taking a shape.
Nothing simple about that delta. 🙂 This deserves a build thread of its own. Can't wait to see the flight video. 👍
Sep 16, 2020, 10:57 AM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
Nothing simple about that delta. 🙂 This deserves a build thread of its own. Can't wait to see the flight video. 👍
I agree about it not being an SSD. This is more of a work of flying art!
Sep 16, 2020, 10:15 PM
Just out for fun
Well after having to wait for a day with no rain or grass that was too wet to land in, I finally got to maiden my new 40" SSD today. It was still a little windy but I couldn't wait any longer.

I wish it had gone better but it could have been worse.

Credit to you Al in the comment section.

SSD 40 Maiden Flight & Crash (3 min 48 sec)
Sep 16, 2020, 10:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Well after having to wait for a day with no rain or grass that was too wet to land in, I finally got to maiden my new 40" SSD today. It was still a little windy but I couldn't wait any longer.

I wish it had gone better but it could have been worse.

Credit to you Al in the comment section.

https://youtu.be/XSbwoETKrt8
Seemed like it started off high and slow , and then changed to low and fast . It may have benefitted from a little up elevator trim ( reflex ) , especially if you plan to fly right-side-up all the time .

What is your assessment of the flight ?
Sep 17, 2020, 12:27 AM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Seemed like it started off high and slow , and then changed to low and fast . It may have benefitted from a little up elevator trim ( reflex ) , especially if you plan to fly right-side-up all the time . What is your assessment of the flight ?
The way I look at it is that is was flying pretty well right after the launch. As for my piloting skills, it was a whole new experience for me in that this one has way more power and speed than I am used to. The other thing was that the wind was really messing with me at times. I think it is a smooth flyer overall at about one third throttle if the wind is not changing like it was then. I am not going to get to fly it again until probably Saturday if the rainy weather that is headed our way clears up by then.

I think I am going to try out another field then too. The field I was flying in is nice but I am constantly worrying about getting too close to the trees while I am flying.

What did you think of the flight cam insert?
Sep 19, 2020, 03:35 AM
jofro
Quote:
I agree about it not being an SSD. This is more of a work of flying art!
TX for the Compliments, I call any delta operated by only 3 servos simple, touch of art work to this model is only a little bonus.
Gave it the first throttle calibration run today, sounds pretty good combined. Still lot of work to finished off, it is ~200+ hour work project.
Sep 22, 2020, 02:03 AM
jofro
Simple Delta is just about ready to be fitted with the more complex receiver I'm having some fun to reprogram.
Sep 22, 2020, 02:18 AM
Just out for fun
So, this aircraft actually has four ducted fans? What receiver are you going to use? I just bought a FrSky S6R for my large SSD. I also just bought a Radiomaster TX16S radio so that means I have to figure out how to set up both of them. Apparently, there is a learning curve to setting up this receiver to use the stabilization and something else to do with the receiver's firmware also.

But I enjoy the technical challenges.

Quick Reply