Mar 23, 2020, 08:56 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee
Got some not-too-good footage of my Delta- at the end of this video. Was trying to slow it down enough that my grandson could shoot it with his nerf gun which made flying in the gusty wind a little tricky. When flown faster it was much better.

https://youtu.be/dj5Ec7PvV7w

Cheers,
Dave
I wonder if these two snowballs know each other or are related?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2020, 09:19 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee
Got some not-too-good footage of my Delta- at the end of this video. Was trying to slow it down enough that my grandson could shoot it with his nerf gun which made flying in the gusty wind a little tricky. When flown faster it was much better.

https://youtu.be/dj5Ec7PvV7w

Cheers,
Dave
Cool!
Mar 23, 2020, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I wonder if these two snowballs know each other or are related?
Definite family resemblance!
Mar 24, 2020, 01:52 PM
Are those made for water landings and takeoffs?
Mar 24, 2020, 02:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
Yes . I tried flying mine at Klineline Pond in west Vancouver ..... but it was too underpowered for a water take-off .
Mar 24, 2020, 04:13 PM
Just out for fun
I hope that everyone is safe and well. Especially you BoC considering where you live. Stay safe, stay at home and build mini foamies to fly indoors!
Mar 24, 2020, 06:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
I hope that everyone is safe and well. Especially you BoC considering where you live. Stay safe, stay at home and build mini foamies to fly indoors!
Thanks , I've been a homebody for the last couple of years anyway .... so not a big change for me .
Mar 24, 2020, 06:58 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
Mine did successfully fly off the water. It was a quick throw together build to see if it would fly well and then the plan was to build a different one but spend a bit more time and make it nice, but I never did make another. Maybe that would be a good project for the next couple of weeks? I need to build another SSD as well
Mar 25, 2020, 01:39 PM
We have to do something to stay sane. I keep building and tinkering so much I've got more planes and quadcopters in flying condition right now than I've ever had before. Nothing else to do!

I don't get out flying much this time of year in the Pacific northwest. But now that they tell me I'm not supposed to go outside, it's all I can think about.
Mar 25, 2020, 02:00 PM
Just out for fun
You mean that you are not allowed to go outside of your own home? That's pretty serious. Do you have any tiny whoops to fly indoors?
Mar 26, 2020, 11:14 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So BoC, having looked at that walk-along wing video I posted on another thread I got interested in how slow an SSD could be built. Thinking of a generic 30x20 with no paper and just live with the wimpyness. Then a marginal 10g motor (on the nose for CG help), and now only a small battery will be necessary. 2.5g servos with high leverage, low travel -- this is not a performance machine.

Whaddya think?
Mar 26, 2020, 03:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
So BoC, having looked at that walk-along wing video I posted on another thread I got interested in how slow an SSD could be built. Thinking of a generic 30x20 with no paper and just live with the wimpyness. Then a marginal 10g motor (on the nose for CG help), and now only a small battery will be necessary. 2.5g servos with high leverage, low travel -- this is not a performance machine.

Whaddya think?
Show us a video of your floater SSD when you get it flying please !

One way you could do it is to eliminate control surfaces , and make it a 2 channel using two 10g motors and differential thrust , like this flying wing :

(4 min 51 sec)

BTW , I believe that wing is based on a walk-along glider design .
Mar 26, 2020, 03:13 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I looked at that design and have the plans for it. But a bit more of a build project than I want to undertake. Undercamber wings, wash-out, pull-pull wing tip control, etc.

I'm stripping down an existing wing and will downsize motor and battery to see what unusually low wing loading does for me. And see if I can live with wimpy structure. Will decide where to go from there.
Mar 26, 2020, 03:57 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I looked at that design and have the plans for it. But a bit more of a build project than I want to undertake. Undercamber wings, wash-out, pull-pull wing tip control, etc.

I'm stripping down an existing wing and will downsize motor and battery to see what unusually low wing loading does for me. And see if I can live with wimpy structure. Will decide where to go from there.
I'm not saying build the wing in the video , I'm saying you could build a SSD with 2 channel differential thrust ..... like the wing in the video . If I were to do that , I would use a 40" SSD for lowest possible wing loading .
Mar 26, 2020, 04:08 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Gotcha. I'm unsure if a delta is as efficient a floater as a flying wing with same area. Higher aspect ratio should glide better.

My original thought was a 30" SSD due to it's simplicity. With no paper or reinforcement I don't know how big I can go with $TF before it just won't hold it's shape. Have you ever built a 40" SSD with no paper? Even though not as efficient as a flying wing shape, I suspect it's structurally sounder when weak materials are being used.

Quick Reply