Feb 10, 2020, 05:16 PM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
I'm using a Flip32; any flight controller board would work. It's a great use of old stock discount boards.
There's a bit of a learning curve with the soldering and configuring when you're just starting but it's pretty worth it when it's all sorted out.
A learning curve? That I am sure of since the only FC boards that I know of are for quads. I have never considered using one for a plane and honestly, I didn't know it would work.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2020, 09:07 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
This plane (or the SSD version that sr71afan did that only seems to exist as a youtube video and some scattered pics) is one option I'm considering for a targeted build.

Need something that I can throw together super fast from the motor bins, spare servo pile, and acres of foam I have laying about. Slow, very controllable in a good sized backyard lined with trees, and able to take some paintball abuse with instantly folding. Looking at this, the SSD, some prop in slot types that have a shrouded prop or vertical fins that hide the guts a bit.

Thoughts?
Feb 12, 2020, 10:32 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Here's a F-117 inspired version of the SSD. Posted earlier in this thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=691

A few more details here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post42285559

My variation uses a carbon triangle for exoskeleton and then $TF for a lighter version, or Elmer's foam for a stronger version as fill. And external elevons. Slick fliers and highly wind capable. The carbon is square outside, round ID from ebay-usa. 4mm for the lighter version, 5mm for the heavier.
Feb 12, 2020, 10:57 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Slow, very controllable in a good sized backyard lined with trees, and able to take some paintball abuse with instantly folding. Looking at this, the SSD, some prop in slot types that have a shrouded prop or vertical fins that hide the guts a bit.

Thoughts?
For slow flight , low wing loading is the main ingredient ( maximum wing area combined with minimum weight ) .

For taking abuse , make it out of coroplast ..... but coroplast is significantly heavier than dollar tree foam board .
Feb 12, 2020, 11:16 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Should have said without instantly folding. Doesn't have to be bulletproof just not shatter instantly. So I'm looking at fast ways to armor portions without accepting total weight penalty. Such as using doculam or clear shelf paper on the outside of those big vertical fins on sr71's super slow delta, that would spread impact some. and those fins protect the prop and motor a bit.
Feb 12, 2020, 11:29 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Maybe buy a sheet of Dollar Tree and Elmer's foam, prop them up and shoot at them as targets. You should get a feel for how robust you want to build the plane.
Feb 12, 2020, 12:31 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Should have said without instantly folding. Doesn't have to be bulletproof just not shatter instantly. So I'm looking at fast ways to armor portions without accepting total weight penalty. Such as using doculam or clear shelf paper on the outside of those big vertical fins on sr71's super slow delta, that would spread impact some. and those fins protect the prop and motor a bit.
Gary sr71afan showed dimensions on one of his videos , here's screenshots from that video :
Feb 12, 2020, 12:49 PM
Those pictures look like they were smuggled out of East Berlin by a Cold War double agent.
Feb 12, 2020, 12:56 PM
Quote:
This plane (or the SSD version that sr71afan did that only seems to exist as a youtube video and some scattered pics) is one option I'm considering for a targeted build.

Need something that I can throw together super fast from the motor bins, spare servo pile, and acres of foam I have laying about. Slow, very controllable in a good sized backyard lined with trees, and able to take some paintball abuse with instantly folding. Looking at this, the SSD, some prop in slot types that have a shrouded prop or vertical fins that hide the guts a bit.

Thoughts?
Going to shoot them with paintballs? Strip the paper off the foam board, then use extra long bbq skewers for spars to get back some rigidity. Paintballs will go right through the foam leaving a round hole and not tearing the rest of the wing to shreds.
Feb 12, 2020, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Those pictures look like they were smuggled out of East Berlin by a Cold War double agent.
Lmao!! I was thinking the same thing! They look like they have definitely been smuggled
Feb 12, 2020, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Lmao!! I was thinking the same thing! They look like they have definitely been weathered as they traded hands on their journey to us haha
Feb 12, 2020, 04:30 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I have printouts of those pics, they feel like contraband

I'm a little limited in testing, I don't own paintball stuff myself. Making the plane swiss cheese survivable is also an option. Dunno but it'll be fun to screw around with

Most prop in slot birds are pretty quick, or I'd be looking at one of them that has a belly plate on the bottom which helps mask the prop from paintballs.
Feb 12, 2020, 05:12 PM
Just out for fun
Here ya go guys... I also have the plans for the modified version as well. Picture of it included. If anyone wants the specs on the V2, let me know.

Quick Reply