Thread Tools
Dec 29, 2014, 01:59 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve
Hey Balsa or Carbon,

I just saw your video on the hover craft. Looks really neat! Is there any more info available?
Do you have a thread on it, or any plans, or a drawing or a close up photo?

Thanks!
Yes , here you go . All I ask is that you post photos/video if you make one !

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1619583

If you need more info , let me know - I'll be glad to help !

Al
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2014, 10:46 AM
After the snow of last week the temps came up and the winds down.
So I thougth lest go for it.
Made a box for the battery but could not find my Rhino 610 2S pack.
So I put the Zippy 2S 1000 in it. I thougth Cg was OK by the handbalance feeling.
When I arrived at my air strip there were still snow left overs but no rain puddles.

So up she goes. Had to pull the elevator stick much to get here around but I was flying here so wouldnt land it for that. I was on 50% throw and 30% expo on elev and alieron. Then she crashed and the rods were shifted. Put elevator on 100% after that to have more control. After a few minutes and a planned landing the control horn was pulled from the right elevon. So I had to go home and placed larger control horns on both sides. I also balanced the CG with an AAA battery more to the rear. Throw was now set at 100% and no Expo for the elevator and 75% and 15% expo for the aileron. That all made a big change and now I liked here flying around even in the tigth space I have available near my house.
Even reasonably slow flights are possible. Right turns stay a learning curve.

And after 13 minutes the first battery went flat. Next battery 18 minutes fly time. My hands got cold due to the low temps so I stopped but with a good feeling. Video 1 is before I went home to repair. Second video is after the repair.

We are now at 230 grams with tape, battery box and under skid at the nose.
Still good flyer in my humble new bie opinion. I wished it was summer............

Video1

mainden 2 of the simple elta (5 min 30 sec)


Video2

Return after repair of maiden 2 of the simple delta (12 min 28 sec)


Paco
Last edited by JupaCreations; Dec 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Dec 30, 2014, 11:09 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Looks good Paco ! You are progressing rapidly !

Have you found a larger flying area ? Next step - right turn practice , and then loops and rolls !

Al
Dec 30, 2014, 11:36 AM
Al,

Larger area is a 20 minute drive! This small strip is 2 minutes by car and 5 by bike. We live in a area with lots of nature zones (prohibited to fly) and the rest is fully build or private land like farmers. So have to live with it.

Paco
Dec 30, 2014, 12:03 PM
Registered User
Hey Balsa, thanks for the link! It's on my "to do" list!
Dec 30, 2014, 12:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
Al,

Larger area is a 20 minute drive! This small strip is 2 minutes by car and 5 by bike. We live in a area with lots of nature zones (prohibited to fly) and the rest is fully build or private land like farmers. So have to live with it.

Paco
I'd love to see a video of your delta at the larger area if you ever want to make the drive . Maybe with some loops and rolls !
Dec 30, 2014, 12:46 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve
Hey Balsa, thanks for the link! It's on my "to do" list!
You're welcome ! I'll have my popcorn ready to watch the video !

Al
Dec 31, 2014, 04:39 AM
Just a question or two.
Do Delta's need constant up trim to fly level?
If not and I have to do this is CG to far forward?
Are delta's speed dependable concerning elevator up.
So the slower the more up.
I understand just under stall speed you need more up to keep it flying?

Paco
Last edited by JupaCreations; Dec 31, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
Dec 31, 2014, 02:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
Just a question or two.
Do Delta's need constant up trim to fly level?
If not and I have to do this is CG to far forward?
Are delta's speed dependable concerning elevator up.
So the slower the more up.
I understand just under stall speed you need more up to keep it flying?

Paco
Deltas often need a little up elevator trim ( reflex ) to fly level , kind of like water skis need to keep the tips slightly up to plane on the water . This particular delta doesn't need much ( if any ) reflex for faster flying , but for slower flying you can move the CG back a little and ( or ) trim in a little more reflex . One thing you can do for permanent reflex is to add a horizontal stabilizer to the fin with an " up elevator " angle ( photo ) , you can always remove it later for when you're ready to fly faster .

Another thing ( I'm sure you've already noticed ) is the wings on your delta quickly lose lift when it banks a lot in a turn . The best thing to do for that is to try and make turns with as little banking as possible .
Jan 01, 2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks Al for the advice.

Paco
Jan 04, 2015, 12:31 PM
Al, where can I get good props for the prop saver adpater that comes standard with the 2370 motors from HXT? I got some TGS Sport 7x4E Precision propeller from HK but they do not fit the adapter as one side is 9 mm and that is the side where the 5,5 mm adapter is not fitted. So I bougth a Long Prop adapter w/ Alu Cone 3mm motor shaft (Grub Screw Type) but then I have to build a new planes as the adapter is much longer. HK EU warehouse doesnt have any simple 7 x 3.5 props that fit the prop save adapter in a push model as used in the simple delta and the EZ fly. So what would be an useable option beside ordering from US warehouse?

Paco.
Jan 04, 2015, 02:04 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
Al, where can I get good props for the prop saver adpater that comes standard with the 2370 motors from HXT? I got some TGS Sport 7x4E Precision propeller from HK but they do not fit the adapter as one side is 9 mm and that is the side where the 5,5 mm adapter is not fitted. So I bougth a Long Prop adapter w/ Alu Cone 3mm motor shaft (Grub Screw Type) but then I have to build a new planes as the adapter is much longer. HK EU warehouse doesnt have any simple 7 x 3.5 props that fit the prop save adapter in a push model as used in the simple delta and the EZ fly. So what would be an useable option beside ordering from US warehouse?

Paco.
I get APC or GWS props from my local hobby shop - I've never bought props from HobbyKing . They do have " APC style " and " GWS style " props at HobbyKing Euro , I don't know if they're exactly the same as the original .

If you want props that have the adapter ring insert facing the motor on a pusher plane , get the props that have an " R " ( for Reverse ) or " P " ( for Pusher ) . To use an R or P prop , you have to reverse the motor direction , and torque roll ( when flying ) will be opposite of a normal rotation prop .

When I use GWS props , I superglue the adapter ring into the prop and then ream out the hole to fit the prop adapter .

Al
Jan 05, 2015, 01:35 PM
I always try to support local hobby shops but they never stock what I need :-(

Paco
Jan 06, 2015, 12:24 PM
Registered User
coriolan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations
I always try to support local hobby shops but they never stock what I need :-(

Paco
JupaCreations
Support your local hobby shop while it's still around
It's kind of a "Catch-22" situation, they probably don't stock because of low demand. I order a lot on line, but makes sure to visit LHS regularly and buy some items to see what's on hand!
Feb 08, 2015, 04:02 PM
Registered User
Balsa or Carbon, how do you mount the motor to the wing?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools