Jul 18, 2018, 03:12 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
That's my wife's counter-point to my RC addiction. It's a 1-acre bird-house garden with several hundred birdhouses. Award winning, actually. My only contribution has been I've found an easy way to deal with her birthdays, anniversary and Xmas.

But they're either purchased or commissioned, not DIY in my shop.
Also very cool !
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 05:38 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →

Lightweight self-leveling 40" SSD

I wanted to make an SSD that a beginner could fly , so I made a 40" SSD with lightweight electronics and a self-leveling receiver from Lemon RX ( rebranded as Admiral by Motion RC ) . 1500 kv 24 gram hexTronik motor , 10A ESC , 1000mah 3S & two 9 gram servos all from HobbyKing . I also flew it with an 800mah 2S , it had enough power for a mild climb and some easy loops & rolls .

The receiver has gyros ( you can see them at work in the video ) , and if you become disoriented .... self-leveling recovery when you hold down the panic button ( I set it up on the bind button of a DX8e ) .

40" Simplest Simple Delta (1 min 22 sec)
Jul 29, 2018, 08:52 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Having flown it, did you find it underpowered, even for a beginner? Sure isn't much motor for that size plane. Sometimes you just have to pull yourself out of trouble.

50% KFm1:
I was considering an evolution of my combat design going to a papered DTF full upper wing with a KFm1 coroplast doubler under. Puts weight and crush resistance where it's needed.
Jul 29, 2018, 10:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Having flown it, did you find it underpowered, even for a beginner? Sure isn't much motor for that size plane. Sometimes you just have to pull yourself out of trouble.
In my experience teaching ( dozens of ) first timers to fly RC planes , too much power can also get you into trouble if you don't have good throttle control ( first timers tend to bang the sticks around ) .
I usually start first timers on an EzFly , with a 2S battery at first . If they have good throttle control , then I'll put a 3S battery on it for their next flight .
Jul 29, 2018, 11:13 PM
💩
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I wanted to make an SSD that a beginner could fly , so I made a 40" SSD with lightweight electronics and a self-leveling receiver from Lemon RX ( rebranded as Admiral by Motion RC ) . 1500 kv 24 gram hexTronik motor , 10A ESC , 1000mah 3S & two 9 gram servos all from HobbyKing . I also flew it with an 800mah 2S , it had enough power for a mild climb and some easy loops & rolls .

The receiver has gyros ( you can see them at work in the video ) , and if you become disoriented .... self-leveling recovery when you hold down the panic button ( I set it up on the bind button of a DX8e ) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBzbEtXrelM
Nice! I fly with a FrSky radio and have been wanting to try out an S6R stabilizer receiver on my SDD for a long time but haven't got around to it yet.

How much does your new one weigh without the battery?
Jul 30, 2018, 10:19 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302
Nice! I fly with a FrSky radio and have been wanting to try out an S6R stabilizer receiver on my SDD for a long time but haven't got around to it yet.

How much does your new one weigh without the battery?
402 grams , it's made out of 10mm HobbyKing foam .

After the video was shot I turned the gain on the gyros down to about 30% , and then it flew smoother .
Jul 30, 2018, 10:31 AM
💩
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
402 grams , it's made out of 10mm HobbyKing foam .

After the video was shot I turned the gain on the gyros down to about 30% , and then it flew smoother .
Thanks
Jul 30, 2018, 04:45 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So BoC, can you say a few words about that Admiral gyro rx? I ordered one and have read the instructions. What I don't know is how it performs if you attempt to fly while in recovery mode. MotionRC says it's okay to use it like SAFE, but I have my doubts. In your case it would mean flying it with the bind button held down, but of course if I use it that way I'd assign it to a regular switch.
Jul 30, 2018, 05:26 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
So BoC, can you say a few words about that Admiral gyro rx? I ordered one and have read the instructions. What I don't know is how it performs if you attempt to fly while in recovery mode. MotionRC says it's okay to use it like SAFE, but I have my doubts. In your case it would mean flying it with the bind button held down, but of course if I use it that way I'd assign it to a regular switch.
I just tried this in my garage ( with the plane stationary ) : while holding down the bind button , I could still move the elevons with the transmitter's aileron/elevator stick . So yes , I think it will work like SAFE if you assign the self-leveling to a regular switch . Next time I fly it , I'll see if works in actual flight .
Jul 30, 2018, 05:36 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
It kinda depends on how much authority they left for the sticks. The original SAFE planes had a self leveling SAFE mode, and a PANIC mode. They seemed similar in action but you could barely maneuver while in PANIC but had reasonable agility in SAFE. I hope this is more like SAFE than PANIC.
Aug 08, 2018, 01:31 AM
flyin' fool
I like your tractor SSD. The great thing about that kind of a setup is it's way more efficient, better aerobatics and less noise too
Aug 08, 2018, 10:45 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
I like your tractor SSD. The great thing about that kind of a setup is it's way more efficient, better aerobatics and less noise too
Thanks , I really like it too !

I've always recommended the original prop-in-slot SSD as a good non-self-righting bank-n-yank trainer because it can hit the ground repeatedly without damaging the motor .
Aug 12, 2018, 11:25 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
On the 40" tractor SSD , I replaced the Admiral receiver with a Spektrum AR636A SAFE receiver ..... and it flies much better with the SAFE receiver . With the SAFE on , it automatically gives the elevons some reflex to keep the nose up .... for slower flight . And the SAFE gyros work more smoothly than the jerky Admiral gyros . Unfortunately the SAFE receiver is more than twice the price of the Admiral receiver .
Aug 12, 2018, 01:17 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'm not up to speed on using SAFE on other planes. Was thinking that the open stock 636 receiver has only AS3X and to get SAFE self-level you need to use a 636 calibrated to a SAFE plane. And hope it works on yours.

That true? And if so, what plane is your rx from?
Aug 12, 2018, 02:30 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I'm not up to speed on using SAFE on other planes. Was thinking that the open stock 636 receiver has only AS3X and to get SAFE self-level you need to use a 636 calibrated to a SAFE plane. And hope it works on yours.

That true? And if so, what plane is your rx from?
I pulled the SAFE receiver out of my F-27 Evolution . I was very disappointed with the SAFE receiver in the Evolution because it would go to failsafe every time it was on the far side of the flying field ( about 200M away )...... and the fun of having an Evolution ( for me ) is to do high speed runs . I put the Admiral receiver in the Evolution and no longer have the failsafe problem ..... go figure .

Quick Reply