SIMPLEST simple delta with simple plans - Page 36 - RC Groups
Jul 11, 2018, 11:08 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyModder
Thanks for the motor tips guys....

I was looking for a lower kv motor similar to the Park motor.... 850 kv.... I get 18-20 min of flying in my Hz super cub with that motor.... with a 9x7.5 sf apc.
HobbyPartz has that same Exceed Rocket brand motors in lower kv : https://www.hobbypartz.com/rocket.html and you can't beat < $8 for that 40A Emax ESC I linked ↑ .

The vertical fins in your photo look a little small ..... maybe add two more at the wing tips ? Do you have reflex on that horizontal stabilizer ?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2018, 11:29 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
The vertical fins in your photo look a little small ..... maybe add two more at the wing tips ? Do you have reflex on that horizontal stabilizer ?
I cartwheeled my SSD today and lost both fins. Glue isn't sticking to the packing tape I used to protect the ends of the wings. Anyway I just shrugged my shoulders and launched it without fins. It flys. It varies between just fine under normal conditions to a little unstable doing acro. Glides great, maybe because it's a little lighter, or a little less drag or something. I will absolutely put fins back on, but may experiment with smaller. And I'll cut away the packing tape within the joint.
Jul 11, 2018, 11:57 AM
Quote:
HobbyPartz has that same Exceed Rocket brand motors in lower kv : https://www.hobbypartz.com/rocket.html and you can't beat < $8 for that 40A Emax ESC I linked ↑ .

Wow on that motor selection...
I do have downward wing tips... 2" x 5" or so.... and yes reflex on the horizontal.... about the foam boards thickness in a 2" span...

I suspect I have too much elevator throw.... And when I pulled up out of a full throttle dive.... the wing stalled.... just too many g's.... I think....

motor stayed attached this time....

The vert stabs are 4"x5" and when normal flying.... flys great...

Last edited by SportyModder; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Jul 11, 2018, 12:25 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I cartwheeled my SSD today and lost both fins. Glue isn't sticking to the packing tape I used to protect the ends of the wings. Anyway I just shrugged my shoulders and launched it without fins. It flys. It varies between just fine under normal conditions to a little unstable doing acro. Glides great, maybe because it's a little lighter, or a little less drag or something. I will absolutely put fins back on, but may experiment with smaller. And I'll cut away the packing tape within the joint.
One disadvantage ( for my old eyes ) of finless planes is they're hard to see from the side when in the sky .

If you want to experiment with finless yaw stabilization , one way is to do what CTH does with their Assassin ( see photos below ↓ ) . Or duckerons , will also give you yaw control .
Jul 11, 2018, 12:51 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I have an Assassin and have run it with and without. Prefer with.

But it's old, beat up, heavy and warped so a clean one probably wouldn't need as much help.
Jul 11, 2018, 01:33 PM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
One disadvantage ( for my old eyes ) of finless planes is they're hard to see from the side when in the sky .

If you want to experiment with finless yaw stabilization , one way is to do what CTH does with their Assassin ( see photos below ↓ ) . Or duckerons , will also give you yaw control .
Thanks for the pics, I learned some stuff today
Jul 13, 2018, 12:05 PM
So I am going to throw together another 40" ssd. ..

But my Adams foam board it warped pretty bad...

Should I build it undercambered? Or attempt to flatten it? If so how... I have clamped it flat with no success in my hot shop...
Jul 13, 2018, 01:25 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:

Should I build it undercambered? Or attempt to flatten it? If so how... I have clamped it flat with no success in my hot shop...
A delta will fly better with reflex than camber .
Jul 13, 2018, 01:49 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:

Clamping it flat will work, but who knows how long it will take. For a buck a panel I don't think I'd bother. My in-process 40" warped up a bit after gluing the upper doubler. Probably the adhesive contracts or something. Overnight clamping took out half of it. I think it will fly fine as is, but I store it with little sand bags on it to encourage flatness.
Jul 13, 2018, 03:57 PM
The runway used to be longer
Quote:

I say return it to the dollar store and patiently explain to them that aircraft materials need to be stored in a manner that ensures that they are not warped and are uniform throughout.
Record the lot # and DOM and let us know.

Thanks
Jul 13, 2018, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike
I say return it to the dollar store and patiently explain to them that aircraft materials need to be stored in a manner that ensures that they are not warped and are uniform throughout.
Record the lot # and DOM and let us know.

Thanks
I don't know if you are joking or serious. .. But I'm not returning $5 worth of foam board...
Jul 13, 2018, 05:17 PM
Registered Abuser
I would return them also and let them know that you will not tolerate inferior aircraft construction materials.

Jul 14, 2018, 05:17 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyModder View Post

Try using heat on the convex side using a heat gun or clothing iron set to synthetics. It should shrink the side the heat is applied to. Be careful with how much heat is applied. You want to shrink it not melt it.
Jul 14, 2018, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
Try using heat on the convex side using a heat gun or clothing iron set to synthetics. It should shrink the side the heat is applied to. Be careful with how much heat is applied. You want to shrink it not melt it.
oooooo i have a covering iron.....
Jul 14, 2018, 05:37 PM
I warped the heck out my 40" SSD flying in the fog at the coast. Once I pulled the paper off it flattened out perfectly true. I reinforced it with some bbq skewers and tape.

It's not the foam that warps, it's the paper that ever so slightly shrinks and pulls a curve into it.

Quick Reply