SIMPLEST simple delta with simple plans - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jul 13, 2014, 12:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixx
what size is dollar tree foam? I have a sheet of 20x30 depron here is this the same size?

Is the wingspan 20 or 30"
Im sorry for the noob questions
Yes , $ Tree foam is 20" x 30" . The wingspan is 30" and the length from nose to tail is 20". The basic layout will work with any size sheet , rectangular or even square . A narrower wingspan will give you a faster roll rate , a wider wingspan will slow down the roll rate and probably be easier to fly at first . And of course it would be a good idea to start on low rates with some expo .

This will be " bank and yank " flying - initiate banking with ailerons , then yank on the elevator to make the turn . The more you bank , the more you need elevator to turn .

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jul 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2014, 12:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I have this all cut out, the KFM and tail are mounted and I stuck a sheet of 3mm ply on the bottom so I can mount undercarriage later.
I have to admit the design is growing on me.
For landing without landing gear , be sure to use a prop saver and land on grass . Just kill the throttle right before flaring and it will land very nicely on it's belly .

It's an unusual design , but SUPER fun to fly ! And since it doesn't have a lot of things sticking out that can break off , it can handle bumpy landings well . A flying buddy of mine cartwheeled his a few times without any damage - he just threw it back in the air again !

Al
Jul 14, 2014, 06:06 AM
crash expert
built one Al,
hopefully will maiden her tomorrow or wed
thanks!
Jul 14, 2014, 07:02 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Really COOL !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 14, 2014, 07:09 AM
crash expert
How to launch this and keep fingers?

Im guessing that a frisbee type of throw?
Jul 14, 2014, 11:20 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
How to launch this and keep fingers?

Im guessing that a frisbee type of throw?
That's the one . Let us know how it goes !

Al
Aug 05, 2014, 10:14 PM
Looking like I see one of these in my future. It looks like it will fit the bill of a windy day flier.
Aug 05, 2014, 11:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222
Looking like I see one of these in my future. It looks like it will fit the bill of a windy day flier.
Excellent ! Let us know how it turns out - with photos and video if possible !

Al
Aug 05, 2014, 11:18 PM
Will do. I just cut it out a few minutes ago in only a few minutes. I had used RediBoard for the main fuse, and a scrap piece of Elmers to make the kfm steps. I say kfm steps because I made it in two pieces then only just now realized it was only one piece on the plans. Also, I will definately be removing the paper from the Elmers as it is heavy, and ugly. I will also remove paper for the glue joint, as I feel safer. As I am a bit busy, progress may be a bit slow. Lastly, has anyone done this using fff?
Aug 17, 2014, 01:31 PM
Hi again. Going to work on it shortly, but would you please be able to tell me where the slot goes, or is it just a rough estimate based on looking at a picture.
Aug 17, 2014, 01:33 PM
Please disregard my last post, as I just reread the first post and it answered my question.
Aug 25, 2014, 08:33 PM
Ok, I was just about done here. Then I came here to say that she was just about ready, then I just realized that I forgot a vertical stabilizer was missing. D'oh! Ok, so back to the woodworks I go. Pictures will be taken this weekend. I will install the motor and balance
then as well. The only other change or difference I have is that I do not have ant 3s packs so I will be using 2s packs, so I do hope that it still works.
Aug 25, 2014, 08:58 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222
Ok, I was just about done here. Then I came here to say that she was just about ready, then I just realized that I forgot a vertical stabilizer was missing. D'oh! Ok, so back to the woodworks I go. Pictures will be taken this weekend. I will install the motor and balance
then as well. The only other change or difference I have is that I do not have ant 3s packs so I will be using 2s packs, so I do hope that it still works.
A flying buddy of mine uses 2s on his Simple Delta , it cruises around just fine .

Video if you can !

Al
Aug 25, 2014, 10:29 PM
Will try. Pics at a minimum.
Dec 05, 2014, 03:52 PM
First posted in the wrong thread so here the pictures too.
6 mm Depron center spar 1x5 mm in top KFm.

I possible I shoot a video of maiden.

Paco

Quick Reply