SIMPLEST simple delta with simple plans - RC Groups
Apr 13, 2014, 01:17 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Cool

SIMPLEST simple delta with simple plans

This one is about as simple to make as you can get , and a really fun flyer !

Take a horizontal sheet of " paper on " $ Tree foam board and cut the two top corners off at a 45* angle , then cut a couple of 2" elevons into the bottom end . Take a second sheet of " paper on " $ Tree foam board , cut the two top corners off at a 45* angle , then cut the bottom off to make it a 50% KFm doubler . It will be strong enough with the paper on that you won't need a spar . From the scrap foam board cut out a small triangle to be the vertical fin . Cut out a prop slot at about 40% back from the nose , install electronics and fly ! CG is also about 40% back from the nose .

1700 kv Blue Wonder Motor with a 7x4 prop , 12 amp ESC , 500mah 3 cell battery and two 9 gram servos . Flies great in wind !

Al

Simplest simple delta (1 min 20 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Apr 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2014, 05:47 AM

great idea

this looks too easy not to try!! great idea..i think i will throw one together and see how it does.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkertt
this looks too easy not to try!! great idea..i think i will throw one together and see how it does.
Excellent ! If possible , show us photos and video !

Al
Apr 15, 2014, 09:37 PM
Hey now,
Looks nifty. I like it and think I'll build one. Several in fact if the first one goes.
Number two may end up with twin 40mm fans just to be silly.
But before I do this fun stuff I have one simple question. Not knowing what a kfm is does tge doubler go on top or the bottom of the wing? Thanks...
RobII
Apr 15, 2014, 10:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck
Hey now,
Looks nifty. I like it and think I'll build one. Several in fact if the first one goes.
Number two may end up with twin 40mm fans just to be silly.
But before I do this fun stuff I have one simple question. Not knowing what a kfm is does tge doubler go on top or the bottom of the wing? Thanks...
RobII
The KFm is an extra layer ( or layers ) of foam added to a flat foam wing . It can be one layer on the top ( KFm 2 ) , or one layer on the bottom ( KFm1 ) , or one on the top AND one on the bottom ( KFm3 ) . There are about ten types of KFm's , and they act as a sort of airfoil and give the wing more strength . The back edge of a KFm doubler is called the step and it is usually at 40% or 50% of the wing chord .

On this delta I made a KFm2 ( on top of the wing ) with the step at 50% of the wing's chord . Since a delta has a tapered wing , the step goes from 50% of the wing's root chord ( in the center ) to 50% of the wing's tip chord ( at the wing's end ) . You can bevel or round off the leading edge after gluing on the KFm2 doubler .

Here is a photo where it's easier to see the 50% KFm2 doubler .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 03, 2014 at 03:04 PM.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:23 AM
Hey now,
Thank you very much. I got to learn something. Yea me.
Now to get to the Dollar store and buy some foam board so I can get building.
RobII
Apr 16, 2014, 02:10 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck
Hey now,
Thank you very much. I got to learn something. Yea me.
Now to get to the Dollar store and buy some foam board so I can get building.
RobII
Cool ! If possible , show us photos and video when you get one built !

Al
Apr 16, 2014, 08:12 AM
I still have your DTD v2 airframe in my collection, and it is very simular to this. I am using HXT 2730-1700kv motor, either a GWS 8x4 or a APC 7x5 prop, two 9g servos, and a 3S 1000 mah lipo. It is sleak, fast, and prety much has unlimited vertical. I figure that same setup would be able to make this airframe perform pretty much the same.
By the way, I love the fact that you keep coming up with designs the are simplistic, and both fast and economical to build.

Ed
Apr 16, 2014, 12:09 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thanks Ed ! The original DTD was pretty simple , but I wanted to try to make this one the absolute simplest delta possible . It only has what's needed to fly - just one fin instead of two , a 50% KFm2 so a spar wouldn't be necessary , and no landing gear .

If you make one , photos and video please !

Al
Apr 19, 2014, 10:23 PM
Remind me of CrazyHerb's "Cheap Delta":
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=14
A legend in its time!
Apr 19, 2014, 10:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Remind me of CrazyHerb's "Cheap Delta":
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=14
A legend in its time!
CrazyHerb's "Cheap Delta" also looks very simple ! I guess I could call mine " Simple Cheap Delta " since it was made out of about $2 worth of $ Tree foam board !

Al
May 06, 2014, 03:00 PM
Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams

KFm

Fun to watch flying. I guess I will test some KFm airfoils on my quick little delta, Particularly the KFm4. Need for speed. Thanks for sharing.
May 24, 2014, 01:42 PM
Here is a link showing one I made: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=13
Jul 13, 2014, 02:38 AM
crash expert
what size is dollar tree foam? I have a sheet of 20x30 depron here is this the same size?

Is the wingspan 20 or 30"
Im sorry for the noob questions
Last edited by felixx; Jul 13, 2014 at 03:25 AM.
Jul 13, 2014, 06:19 AM
crash expert
I have this all cut out, the KFM and tail are mounted and I stuck a sheet of 3mm ply on the bottom so I can mount undercarriage later.
I have to admit the design is growing on me.

Quick Reply