Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 09, 2017, 06:56 AM
T_G
T_G
Assorted boats, planes & quads

i6 + iA6B for $34

Anyone looking for a spare or backup, the i6 with iA6B receiver is available for $33.99 / 28.58 / 26.41 shipped at Banggood right now. The iA6B alone is $7 / 5.88 / 5.43

Prices expire in 14 hours that's Sunday 02:00 UTC.

https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6-2_4G-6CH-AFHDS-RC-Transmitter-With-FS-iA6B-Receiver-p-983537.html?rmmds=search
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-2_4G-6CH-FS-iA6B-Receiver-PPM-Output-With-iBus-Port-p-978603.html?rmmds=search
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 09:54 PM
KNUCKLEUPFPV
Tried connecting a wolfbox 433mhz system to my ppm port out on my fsi6 with 14 channel firmware. It makes the beeper go off and I cant get the wolfbox to respond in receiver tab. I used openlrs to update it because ulrs told me I needed avrdude and have 0 idea how to use that. 6.5 hours later im stuck with nothing to show for it. If I dont figure it out soon, im buying a qx7. Anyone used one of these systems with the fsi6 before?
Sep 14, 2017, 02:56 PM
aka MicroModDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_G
Dang, missed that deal. Just ordered one off Amazon for $51 with free same day shipping. Getting it tonight.
Sep 14, 2017, 04:52 PM
treefinder
Just finished reading all 117 pages, whew! I snagged one of the BG 11th anniversary I6 radios, and am eager to see how it works. In all the posts, I'm not sure about the timer. Is it only functional in the 10 ch firmware or has one of the "official" updates enabled it?
Sep 15, 2017, 04:59 AM
T_G
T_G
No timer in official firmware, only in the qba667 version 'No Switch E' https://github.com/qba667/FlySkyI6/releases

Timer starts when value of a selected channel exceeds a set point. You can assign a switch to a channel then monitor that channel to start the timer, or use the throttle channel and monitor that.

Enjoy your new radio, just remember that short press of 'Cancel' button exits that menu, long press of 'Cancel' saves & exits.
Sep 15, 2017, 07:59 AM
treefinder
Looks like an update in my future! Thanks for the reminder about the"cancel" switch. I noticed several differences between this new radio and my current 9x and 9xrPro operations. The "remove bind plug before battery plug" will be one i will probably have to learn the hard way . . .
Sep 15, 2017, 11:59 AM
aka MicroModDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_G
No timer in official firmware, only in the qba667 version 'No Switch E' https://github.com/qba667/FlySkyI6/releases

Timer starts when value of a selected channel exceeds a set point. You can assign a switch to a channel then monitor that channel to start the timer, or use the throttle channel and monitor that.

Enjoy your new radio, just remember that short press of 'Cancel' button exits that menu, long press of 'Cancel' saves & exits.
No timer? Thats the most needed funtion. Good thing I ordered from Amazon. Returning it and already ordered the better Flysky FS-I6s that has a timer.
Sep 15, 2017, 04:04 PM
Flyin' Finn in eternal spin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by microhelidude
No timer? Thats the most needed funtion. Good thing I ordered from Amazon. Returning it and already ordered the better Flysky FS-I6s that has a timer.
With i6s you have to stick to AFHDS-2, it does not have older AFHDS.
Sep 15, 2017, 04:26 PM
aka MicroModDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTeddy
With i6s you have to stick to AFHDS-2, it does not have older AFHDS.
I goggled AFHDS-2 and nothing says what that is??
Sep 16, 2017, 02:50 AM
Flyin' Finn in eternal spin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by microhelidude
I goggled AFHDS-2 and nothing says what that is??
FlySky is using two different kind of Spread Spectrum Modes, AFHDS 2A and AFHDS. The latter one is older and most of Bind & Fly drones and copters are still using it. AFHDS 2 is newer with telemetry capacity and i6 & i6X have both modes, 9X and i6S only AFHDS 2.

I hope this article helps you to see the differences..
Sep 16, 2017, 09:21 AM
T_G
T_G
No trim switches on the i6S, and the two variable pots are sprung back to the centre. All axes have trims & the variable pots stay where you put them on the i6 & i6X.

A 1 minute firmware update puts a timer on the i6 plus improved telemetry and voltage monitoring.
Sep 16, 2017, 06:09 PM
aka MicroModDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_G
No trim switches on the i6S, and the two variable pots are sprung back to the centre. All axes have trims & the variable pots stay where you put them on the i6 & i6X.

A 1 minute firmware update puts a timer on the i6 plus improved telemetry and voltage monitoring.
True, gotta get the data cable down. Where's can I download that timer firmware?
Sep 16, 2017, 07:07 PM
Hi Guys
after exhaustive reading
I'm probably going to buy the FS-i6.
I really like the idea of the new firmware and what it opens up.
I'm still puzzled which receiver to get. It seems both will do voltage telemetry with some work.
one is lighter
any clues appreciated

I want to try and get my WLtoys quads (v686g and V666) going
and intend to build an ugly slow foamy and hopefully a foam eagle.
Sep 18, 2017, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit
Hi Guys
after exhaustive reading
I'm probably going to buy the FS-i6.
I really like the idea of the new firmware and what it opens up.
I'm still puzzled which receiver to get. It seems both will do voltage telemetry with some work.
one is lighter
any clues appreciated

I want to try and get my WLtoys quads (v686g and V666) going
and intend to build an ugly slow foamy and hopefully a foam eagle.
The Turnigy iA6C is kinda small and light, has relatively good range and has a biult in battery voltage monitor port.
If you wanna buy a micro RX then forget about the telemetry. Also beware the A8S as it has crap range and reliability. The FS-RX2A in other side is quite reliable and has a good range for such a small rx - cca 100m in open plane.
For more info check my list of the Flysky receivers. It has several tabs in the bottom - for normal/micro, new/old receivers. It lists the dimensions and the weights also and other info, e.g. if it supports failsafe or not.
Sep 18, 2017, 06:41 AM

Trims won't stay centered and control jumps to full control with no stick input

I bought a Turnigy branded FlySky i6 set from HobbyKing when they were on sale in 2015. I bought it for a friend to help him get into quads.

We had nothing but problems for years and it turns out it was all the FlySky i6 radio. Not the quad. Not vibration. Not the flight controller. The problems ranged from yaw (rudder) changing when you move the throttle (both controls on left stick) to sudden full roll control for no reason. I think we even had some full pitch control for no reason.

Apparently HK knew there were problems with these and were "unloading" them on us. Another strike against HobbyKing and another reason that maybe "this time" I really won't ever order from them again. I certainly won't be buying any more FlySky radios.

To see the problems or monitor for their appearance:

Bring up the "Display" option on the screen so you can see the stick positions (Long press OK, then Functions, then Display). This allows you to make sure the sticks are centering without drift and have full travel.

There are two problems and fixes I found work for me:

(connector issue)

Each horizontal stick is connected via a 3 wire cable that flexes each time you move the vertical axis of that stick. Do the following procedure for the connector of the cable that flexes when you move the stick up and down. Take the back off the transmitter and (without unplugging the connector) take a toothpick and push one pin deeper into the hood. This will make that pin seat deeper than it was and the sliding motion will make it reconnect if there was corrosion or contamination. Look at it with a magnifying glass and you can see it moved a significant amount compared to the others. Do the other two pins of that connector. The inner connector of the same cable (the one buried inside the gimbal) is actually soldered so don't worry about it.

I chose to put a spot of very thick glue on the 3 wire to connector area to keep them from wiggling at all. This might make future repairs (e.g. removing pins from shell) more difficult, but if it needs repair from here I think I would cut the connector off and solder it.

Electronic connector lubricant (unplug connector, put a small amount on the pins and plug back in) might be a good idea to stop corrosion if that is the issue, but I didn't use it since I didn't have any handy.

Both sticks, just to be safe.

This issue only affects the horizontal stick axes (rudder/yaw and aileron/roll) since they are the only ones that have wires that flex with stick motion. Generally the vertical stick motion makes that horizontal channel go crazy since vertical motion wiggles the horizontal wire.

(flaky pot issue)
The potentiometers (pots) ?might? get a little flaky if you don't use the transmitter for a while. After doing the first fix, if you see a problem on the "Display" page at the beginning of a flying season or day, move the sticks around to full travel for a couple minutes and see if that helps.

Here is a good example of the connector issue:
Please help Flysky fs i6 tgy i6 stick problems (0 min 51 sec)
Last edited by theothercliff; Sep 18, 2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply