Apr 11, 2014, 02:06 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
Discussion

I Can't Stop Buying Helicopters! HELP!

Someone in this forum mentioned that if they didn't make a new purchase soon they would lose their membership in the Heli-a-month club. I just started flying micro helis in January and I already have purchased 26! I've seperated my purchases by type, it makes it easier to see what I have.

* indicates my go to equipment, the stuff I fly all the time.

Coax
MJX T-23 (mistake - disassembled for parts and gone)

Fixed Pitch Flybar
WL Toys V911 - 6 (three lost in the wind) Donated the other three to a youth group.
WL Toys V912
WL Toys V913

Fixed Pitch Flybarless
HiSky HFP 80 (V1) x 2
HiSky HFP 80 (V2) x 2
HiSky HFP 100FS
HiSky HFP 100 (V2) x 2
HeliMax Axe 100 Fixed Pitch

CP Helicopters
Walkera V120D02S (traded away)
Walkera Master CP (given away)
WL Toys V977
HiSky HCP100 x 2
HiSky HCP80 x 2
Blade SR
Blade 130X (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Blade Red Bull BO-105 CB 130X
Blade 180CFX (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Skyartec WASP Nano CPx
Walkera Mini CP x 2
Tarot 450 Pro V2 (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Forza 450 x 2 (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Copter X 450 Black Angel (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Forza 450 EX* (combo motor & ESC)
Forza 450 3D x 2 (super combo)
Tarot 450 Pro V2 (basic kit)
ALZRC Devil 380 FAST* x 3
XK K120 Shuttle RTF
XK K110 BNF
Protos 500 (used from classifieds)
ALZRC 360X Super Combo
Eachine-E180
Eachine-E120

Transmitters
FlySky TH9X
Spectrum DX6i* (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Tactic AnyLink Module
HiSky HT-8
Hisky X-6S (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Devo 7
Devo 10
Skyartec NASA 701
Hisky X-6S
Spectrum DX6 G3*

Quads or Multirotors
Hubsan X4 (Stolen 5/19/2016)
WL Toys V959
WL Toys V262
Tarot 250 Quad Kit x2 (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Tarot 250 Quad Kit
ZMR 250 Quad Kit (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Blade Inductrix Quad
Eachine H8 Quad
Robocat 270 x2*
Eachine Racer 250 (Stolen 5/19/2016)
Autel Robotics X-Star Premium
King Kong Hex 300

I have a compulsion to buy any micro helicopter that comes to my attention. You folks are obviously of above average intelligence, surely someone here has come up with a solution for this compulsion to own every micro heli ever made?

April 16th 2015 - Currently my favorite helicopters to fly are the Blade 130X, Walkera Mini CP, Master CP and HiSky HCP80/HCP100. I use the V262 to lift my Mobius camera and my favorite quad to fly for fun is the Hubsan X4.

November 25th 2015 - My favorite models to fly has changed somewhat. My two favorite flyers are the Tarot 450 Pro V2 and the Forza 450. Those two are followed by the Blade 130X. This heli has been one of my favorites for a very long time. I'm still not very good flying it. It is highly maneuverable and not the most durable design in the world. With the aftermarket parts installed it does a lot better.

Large theft from my "hanger" on May 19th 2016.

April 6th 2017 - Currently my favorite helicopter to fly is my ALZRC Devil 380 followed closely by my Forza 450 EX; I had one heck of a time taming that tail. I have 2 Forza 450 3D helicopters to build yet, before they were stolen that was my favorite and go to helicopter.
Last edited by dteel; Sep 29, 2022 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Updating list
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2014, 02:21 PM
I don't think there's a vaccination for this disease just yet, but I don't mind as I'm feeling OK at the moment.
Apr 11, 2014, 02:24 PM
transdermal Lipo patch
Apr 11, 2014, 02:27 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedan
transdermal Lipo patch
Something tells me this would only add to the problem if all my batteries charged just from touching them...

I'm betting any practical solution involves the wife somehow.
Apr 11, 2014, 02:40 PM
Chasin' Auntie Gravity's Tail
The cure for me, and my wallet, was to stay true to one simple rule: One TX to rule them all; i.e., no more toy transmitters. If I can't fly it with my main Deviated TX, the Buy It Now button is off limits. If I find my resolve wavering, all I have to do is open the dusty box full of unused clunky toy radios buried in my closet and I'm back on track.
Apr 11, 2014, 03:46 PM
Cranky old fart
I did the same thing when I started. In the first year, I accumulated 38 helis. Maintenance, repairs and parts were a nightmare. There were very few models as small or as cheap as the current micros, either. Everything was 250 size or bigger. It was costing me over $300 a month in parts after awhile.
Apr 11, 2014, 03:55 PM
Beating air into submission!
Man, I've only got three and my wife is wondering what I'm going to buy next. . . . . I told her I'm shooting (down the line sometime in the future) for a 600 or larger class scale heli. When I told her the price tag of some of the kits (completed) she about fainted.

I think I better just learn to fly what I've got first. . . . .
Apr 11, 2014, 03:57 PM
Underdog
I'm trying to buy no more than one of any particular heli. And only buy parts as needed. This has its drawbacks at times but it does help keep the expenses down.

Another line of reasoning that is saving me money is to only buy helis going up the progression. In other words don't buy helis of a size and skill set that I have already mastered. Admittedly this works for me because I'm at the bottom of the heli progression so hardly any helis are off limits, but it has helped convince myself to not buy a heli or two already.
Apr 11, 2014, 04:16 PM
Cranky old fart
I found once I bought something of higher quality, the cheaper stuff completely lost it's appeal. There was such a difference, that it was just impossible to go back. One Hirobo SRB Quark replaced about 15 other FP helis.
Apr 11, 2014, 05:38 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
I did the same thing when I started. In the first year, I accumulated 38 helis. Maintenance, repairs and parts were a nightmare. There were very few models as small or as cheap as the current micros, either. Everything was 250 size or bigger. It was costing me over $300 a month in parts after awhile.
I bow to your superior experience and knowledge. I see that I have a mild case of "buy-it-now".

Although as I sit here I have two on the way...wait, three.....heavy sigh.
Apr 11, 2014, 05:58 PM
Incredible, why would you need 6 V911 for???
Apr 11, 2014, 07:15 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel
I have a compulsion to buy any micro helicopter that comes to my attention. You folks are obviously of above average intelligence, surely someone here has come up with a solution for this compulsion to own every micro heli ever made?
First, welcome to the site.

There are several things that have helped prevent me fro going heli nuts and heli broke.

1) Modify and improve what you already own. It can be a lot of fun to do and increase performance too. See my blog for your v911's and there is a huge v911 thread in the micro heli forum of the site.
2) Get a simulator if you don't already have one. You can try new things in the simulator for free including 450 collective pitch helicopters. That should keep you busy for a little while. There are no tiny helis in RealFlight though, only larger ones. If you get really bored and want to try something completely different, try a turbine jet.

Phantom 1 (3 min 2 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclone
Incredible, why would you need 6 V911 for???
For when two are broken, one is being upgraded, then you want two to be able to fly back-to-back while the motors cool down, and one spare. It's simple math.

-Florida Heli-
Last edited by Florida Heli; Apr 11, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Apr 11, 2014, 09:32 PM
34 years of flight.
Well stop buying junk and you won't need so many. LOL< If you like them then that all that counts. I had about 6 at once time, right now Officially own only 1, gf has 1.. got to build fleet back up
Apr 11, 2014, 09:58 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
get you an electric ducted fan jet (EDF)....you'll forget about the heli's for awhile
Apr 11, 2014, 10:00 PM
HELICOPTER SWAGG
Lol, this thread is funny. The sign at the front door of my lhs says "your wife called, she said buy whatever you want" lol. I agree with balr though, I had 2 syma 107s, a syma s33, 3 v911s, v912, and v933. Then I bought my dx6i and 1st nano cpx. The difference in flight quality alone had me hooked and I won't buy anything I can't use my dx6i for. I sold my symas to a buddy and gave my v911s to my son and dad. Now I have 3 ncpx's and a 130x. Only reason I have 3 nanos was for the learning curve, while one was busted up I had 2 more. Now I have one blinged out with bl motor and microheli parts and 7mm tail motor and kbdd skids and 2 stock but blinged with cf canopies and kbdd skids and colored blades. Fun part about going hobby grade is the endless possibilities of upgrades that will keep you busy. On the other hand, your still spending money, just on parts instead of helis lol. Welcome to the club

Quick Reply