Jan 17, 2020, 07:14 PM
rc user
hey, all good long as you don't have Takata airbags. how's that for betrayal, something that's suppose to save you shoots metal in your face.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2020, 08:26 AM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
I had similar experiences as the other more aged folks. I also did a good bit of my growing up in Iowa and was at the controls of a tractor before the age of 10. My father used to say that he would be in jail for child abuse if he tried 1/2 the stuff he used to do with us as kids in today's day and age. He passed in 2003 so even 17 years ago it was a well recognized trend. I think it is natural to look at the past in a nostalgic way but it's probably hard to argue that we are safer. Even the airbags that deploy incorrectly and take a life are a statistical anomaly and air bags have saved vastly more than they have harmed. We who have been around for awhile recognize that the one constant is change. I'll leave it to the anthropologists to determine if the changes were good or bad but I'm pretty sure I'm too close to the event(s) to judge them with clarity.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:41 PM
Geez, while I was spending time building my balsa Cessna 150 kit, I looked outside and saw my chickens playing "king of the hill" This is the first time I've had chickens, and while they are fun and you get eggs, if you value your yard and patio at all, don't get them. I live on 1/3 acre, and these chickens have just tore the whole backyard to pieces, and then proceed to poop on the patio (I'm sure in the yard too, but I don't see that). I'm not really able to fence them, as they'd just fly over the top. Oh well, I guess that's the price you pay for learning new things in life. I do have them well trained to come running when I shake the dried meal worm bag and call them (hey girls!). I feel like a real farmer now
Jan 18, 2020, 06:57 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
When I was living in Iowa going to college I kept chickens. I went to the elevator to buy some chicken feed and the guy checking me out asked if I was a farmer. I found it curious and asked him what difference it made. He said that farmers don't pay sales tax on feed. I gave it serious consideration (1/2 second) and said, "Well hell, of course I'm a farmer, I have chickens!"
Jan 23, 2020, 07:07 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
I bought a used...

Ok, not really. What are you guy buying? I'm afraid I have nothing to report.
Jan 23, 2020, 07:39 PM
Nova Helicopters designer.
My Gaui X5 is awaiting 550mm main blades and a mini kbar from Banggood (which I paid extra for expedited shipping). And I am still waiting... "why are we waiting.. wh-y are we waiting..?"

My friend Khai gave me a servo and some other spares to fix up my original k110 (lost my second k110 a couple days back!)..
The fusion 270 is now dialed in and flying great - tracking is better than I ever got it before too which has to help?

No new purchases on the horizon for me but my fleet is as strong as it has ever been!
Last edited by BillyWhiz; Jan 23, 2020 at 07:46 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 07:43 PM
rc user
nothing but maintenance and repair parts.

the new OMP heli looks pretty cool though.
https://usa.banggood.com/OMPHOBBY-M2...r_warehouse=CN
just can't justify $300 when i already have more toys than time to use them.
Jan 24, 2020, 02:40 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
I have a lot of maintenance I'm putting off.

Come to think of it I did order some batteries, two 1300mAh for my quads and two 2000mAh for my 3S helicopters.
Jan 24, 2020, 02:48 PM
Heligamist
I kept from buying a new heli for xmas or my birthday. I just don't need any unless someone sees a gap here I need to fill ? :

Shape S8,G700,G500,Shuttle 550,Trex 500 E/EFL Pro,Oxy 3(2),B400(5),450X,360CFX,Fusion 270(2),230S (V1/V2),200S,120S,Nano (CPS/S2),K110/120/130, V911(several)
Jan 24, 2020, 03:41 PM
Since when was a gap required for another purchase???
Jan 25, 2020, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
I kept from buying a new heli for xmas or my birthday. I just don't need any unless someone sees a gap here I need to fill ? :

Shape S8,G700,G500,Shuttle 550,Trex 500 E/EFL Pro,Oxy 3(2),B400(5),450X,360CFX,Fusion 270(2),230S (V1/V2),200S,120S,Nano (CPS/S2),K110/120/130, V911(several)
You'll enjoy the Fusion 180 - great in smaller flying spaces, quiet, and keeps you on your flying toes
Jan 25, 2020, 04:09 PM
Please call me Dana
Thread OP
I had a friend from Florida visit. He wanted to see these quadcopters and helicopters that I'm always going on and on about. I let him fly my RoboCat 270 and he had a blast. He did manage to break a prop by running into a trash can but all in all he did a pretty good job for a first flight.

Now he's asking if I will build him a quadcopter that he can just fly around. I sent him a quote for a ZMR250 (see the attachment). I did mention to him that he could probably buy a RTF quadcopter from Horizon Hobby that would work with that TX if he wanted to do it that way. I enjoy building them so that would take away a significant part of the fun for me so I'm not really familiar with their product line. Seems to me someone had posted a link awhile ago to a HH quad that looked pretty capable.
Jan 25, 2020, 04:50 PM
Probably can get by on a much cheaper transmitter if that cost is too high. Devo 10 or Jumper T8sg come to mind. Glad you got another one hooked!
Jan 25, 2020, 06:06 PM
Is it weird that I prefer the tiny whoop style quads? I am talking indoors OFC, but for me if it's nice outside I reach for a heli, plank, or car long before a quad... personal preference I guess...

I noticed there is a 66 nova body available now for 1/10 scale... if not my next purchase, it will be soon, since I can paint it like my real one I even already have a set of Cragar SS/T looking chrome wheels I used to run on my buggy.
Jan 25, 2020, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel
I had a friend from Florida visit. He wanted to see these quadcopters and helicopters that I'm always going on and on about. I let him fly my RoboCat 270 and he had a blast. He did manage to break a prop by running into a trash can but all in all he did a pretty good job for a first flight.

Now he's asking if I will build him a quadcopter that he can just fly around. I sent him a quote for a ZMR250 (see the attachment). I did mention to him that he could probably buy a RTF quadcopter from Horizon Hobby that would work with that TX if he wanted to do it that way. I enjoy building them so that would take away a significant part of the fun for me so I'm not really familiar with their product line. Seems to me someone had posted a link awhile ago to a HH quad that looked pretty capable.

Haven't had my Robocats out in a while. Spent most of the flying season with the Blade 230S and later Trex 470LP, and my Tarrot Ironman 650 quadcopter. They do fly nice on 3S.

Quick Reply