This thread is privately moderated by eMoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 09, 2014, 07:29 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Discussion

Use Foam or Not use Foam....

...that is the question

Whether 'tis Nobler for the builder to build with the material of ages and trials of time, or to take to the interwebs of thought and mold to the concepts of man-made elements. The calamity of such decisions....

I digress. I'm throwing it back to the highlight of 1/2A pattern ships and 1977. Going to give the Hornet a go.
Name: Hornet.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 35.3 KB
Description:
see here: -------> http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5419

Now for today's discussion, and please feel free to comment, I'm going to need input. This is a balsa plan and a nitro plan, obviously, and I am totally confident with using balsa. But I am possibly changing two things with this one. The first, I will be using electric and need help figuring out a power plant. My goals for the power system will be:
  • Good power to weight ratio
  • fast but not insane, still want to fly in parks but I have a need for speed
  • flight time longer than 5 minutes

The second debate is whether to use balsa or try and build with foam. I'm leaning towards balsa as I would like it to be more durable as all I have is dollar tree foam for foam material. I have been building with it and like it, but maybe a change of pace and keeping this build closer to its roots would be fun?

I have found some pylon racers that were designed for electric, such as the Depron Baby Shark, leadfeather's Swift-y, 3D-mon's Speedy and others but I like the size and the lines of the Hornet. Is there a more modern scratch build plan that already uses electric that has similar lines to this?

Again, if you read this please comment with your thoughts and ideas. I am open to criticism good or bad as I am excited to try something new-to-me.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2014, 08:28 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
A lot of views and not one comment...apparently this isn't very interesting.

Well I've decided to stick to the plans and build it balsa and thinking of a 3000kv blue wonder on a 3s-1300mah lipo. Also thinking about a 6x4 prop and a 18amp ESC.

Then again I have a 39gram Keda 1200kv I could try as well.

Guess I'll build it first and figure out power plant to find CG with the motors later.
Last edited by eMoon; Apr 09, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
Apr 09, 2014, 11:31 PM
Tree hopper
Hey, got any 2" pink house foam??? Foam Tac will glue it, that's all I found that will. Look at some blue house foam. Balsa wing? or balsa fuse?
I have a 4x8 sheet of this 2" pink foam, want do you any good though.
Apr 09, 2014, 11:35 PM
Tree hopper
Yep, 855 views, not one (until now), starting to thing like https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=450939
Last edited by gabe221; Apr 10, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
Apr 10, 2014, 06:33 AM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Ha! That's awesome!

I thought about a foam core wing, but not sure I want to get into it right now. I have to build a hot wire cutter, although easy to build, I would have to get all the material for one including the foam to cut. Maybe some day. I think for this one I'll stick to the plans as the wing is an easy build and not difficult and material I know how to build with.

It's just the choice in power plant that concerns me.
Last edited by eMoon; Apr 10, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Apr 10, 2014, 09:30 AM
Tree hopper
If you want light go foam, electric. Noise? go balsa and gas. I don't have any hobby shops around here, so I go electric.
I had 1/8 gas (nitro) cars, and the price of nitro, we sold all of yours and went back to electric.
Always said when I go to gas, it'll be a weed gas motor, to get longer flight times, and handy gas and oil mix. We fix 5 gal of two stoke gas at a time, for blowers, chainsaws, fence trimmers, tillers, etc...
Apr 11, 2014, 04:32 PM
with a 37" wingspan I would think a 480 to Power 10 size would be more than enough power.
Apr 11, 2014, 04:42 PM
it says it's 20-23 ozs ready to fly. A Suppo 2810-11 is perfect for that plane...weighs 78 grams and pulls about 250-300 watts.. Use a 40 amp speed control, 11X5.5 prop and a 1300-1800 3S battery. I just built a similar size plane with this setup and it's just what you want.
Apr 11, 2014, 08:48 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
Ocean...that's EXCELLENT! Exactly the input I was hoping for. Thank you so much for taking a look and taking the time to respond! I appreciate it.

Gabe, you got me thinking more and more about a foam core wing. I'm moving into a house soon that will have a proper space for a shop...I may take the time to attempt it.
Apr 14, 2014, 06:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
I've built two models that are essentially identical to what you're looking for.

I used a basic, traditional D-box wing for the second version (red one). Having built with foam extensively in the past, I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to get the same kind of strength without it being really porky. Used properly, balsa is still stronger per unit weight (though less durable).

The best power system I've used is a Suppo 2217/6 on a strong 3S pack swinging an APC Sport 7x9 prop. At about 18oz RTF, the second version's on-tap power was almost surreal. Top speed was around 100mph, and vertical was unlimited and fast. A well-balanced oversquared prop makes a really nice sound
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Apr 14, 2014, 06:28 PM
Tree hopper
Just fixing to say I have a p 400 zoom ( HURC) on my pop wing, 40 amp esc, 7x5 APC prop---424 watts. Popwing wt is 11.4 oz.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:00 PM
I meant to do that
Thread OP
This is encouraging. I was just looking at the 2217/6 to replace an emax I burned up by mistake

Quick Reply