May 04, 2014, 09:51 PM
TAFTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid
Newbie question: Is it possible to reprogram the AS3Xtra brick to fly a delta wing elevons and rudder. I'd like to make sure it is possible before I start the steep learning curve to accomplish it. I have built a fast 25 gram Delta that could really use as3x stabilization and I have an extra AS3Xtra brick. Thanks in advance.
Well....there are such devices called "elevon" or "V-tail" mixers. Here is one I have kept in my flight box for years. We used to use them on the original Zagi flying wings.

Here is a link for a HK version for $3.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tra_small.html

Here is another
http://www.headsuphobby.com/V-Tail-E...ixer-E-235.htm

For a super light installation, you should remove all the connectors and wire and convert it to those little plugs on the AS3X board.

It basically takes a pure roll input and divides it between the servos. So if we had a gyro stabilized signal, it would also get divided up. Same goes for pitch. It can also be used for V tails. They work well.

Scott
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2014, 09:59 PM
Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams

Fast delta options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Roth
Simple answer, no...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
The same question was asked on the Bug thread, and one poster came up with the following answer...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3641
Thanks. The hyper taxi board would be good except I want to stay with 1s battery. Right now RTF weight with 320mAh battery is about 26 grams and I am getting 40 grams thrust with 8mm brushed motor, 7 minutes of aggressive flying. Simple, cheap, quick.

I do have a computer radio so I could get elevons out of the AS3Xtra board but the stabilization would be wrong. Wouldn't it?

Edit: Just read Scott's post. Would my computer radio have same effect? I am using the servos on the board. Would add another for rudder.
Last edited by Wid; May 05, 2014 at 08:27 AM.
May 04, 2014, 10:00 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
That sounds good. If you have stabilization on roll and pitch, you can probably get by without yaw. The first plane I ever flew with stabilization was a Mustang with a tail gyro from a helicopter installed on the aileron channel. Once the roll is stabilized, it's easy to handle the pitch and yaw manually.

Is your Hyper-taxi board programmable?
May 05, 2014, 04:31 AM
a.k.a. FPVisnotacrime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Is your Hyper-taxi board programmable?
Sadly not, as far as I can tell
May 05, 2014, 10:52 AM
TAFTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid
Thanks...

I do have a computer radio so I could get elevons out of the AS3Xtra board but the stabilization would be wrong. Wouldn't it?

Edit: Just read Scott's post. Would my computer radio have same effect? I am using the servos on the board. Would add another for rudder.
Unfortunately you can't use the computer radio mix functions in this case. The stabilized signal needs to be mixed concurrently for both servos or down stream.
May 27, 2014, 06:20 PM
Wow! This info looks like very helpful stuff. I struggled just to get things loaded into Windows XP.

But I am stopped and would appreciate some help.

I am at the point where the SPMA3060 instruction sheet says "Select the desired AS3X set-up file". I do that from the "Model Configuration" folder. But that is as far as I can go, since the "Transfer File" software button is not "active" so will not allow me to click it to effect the transfer.

Now one thing that seems troubling is that the "COM Searching" entry is switching between COM1 and COM3 continually. Is this the problem?

Any help would be welcome (except the practical advice "forget it and go back to rubber bands")

Thanks
May 28, 2014, 06:23 PM

UMX Radian radio for ASK-21

I want my ASK21 to be powered and controlled by the UMX Radian equipment. But when I plug the ASK aileron servos into the Radian ports they do not work. My programmer is on loan to a clubmember for on/off re programming. Has anyone found program settings to activate the ailerons on the Radian RX/ESC board?
Latest blog entry: Mystery
May 28, 2014, 07:47 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
I want my ASK21 to be powered and controlled by the UMX Radian equipment. But when I plug the ASK aileron servos into the Radian ports they do not work. My programmer is on loan to a clubmember for on/off re programming. Has anyone found program settings to activate the ailerons on the Radian RX/ESC board?
Google search: AR6400 Manual

In the text there's a section on changing channel 6 into reversed channel 2 which is what you need

Alternatively you could join the servos together to save channel 6 for something cool like a bomb release etc

However why don't you just put the motor from the radian into the ASK, plugging the radians motor into the ASK receiver? I can't quite see it but there looks like a brushed output behind the servo lead in the pic.
May 28, 2014, 07:55 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset
Wow! This info looks like very helpful stuff. I struggled just to get things loaded into Windows XP.

I am at the point where the SPMA3060 instruction sheet says "Select the desired AS3X set-up file". I do that from the "Model Configuration" folder. But that is as far as I can go, since the "Transfer File" software button is not "active" so will not allow me to click it to effect the transfer.

Now one thing that seems troubling is that the "COM Searching" entry is switching between COM1 and COM3 continually. Is this the problem?

Any help would be welcome (except the practical advice "forget it and go back to rubber bands")

Thanks
Are you plugging the programming tool into a different USB slot? Because that will make the com port change. If not there was a problem with the software installation
May 29, 2014, 08:06 AM
Herk
Quote:

Thanks
I'm using XP - you could probably get more specific help if you gave a bit more info. i.e. Did you load the the XP driver? What kind of transmitter are you using? etc.

Assuming that all is compatible and functioning properly, make sure that the transmitter and receiver are properly bound.

Plug the USB device into your computer and start the software. The com switching indication was addressed earlier in this forum. My system does that too and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Load the configuration file that you want to use. Make sure that all the gains are set at 1 and the stick priority values are set at .9. Plug the wire from the USB device into your receiver.

Turn on your transmitter and use a rubber band to hold the left stick all the way into the upper right corner. Power up the receiver and watch the light. It should blink a couple of times and then stay on. That means it's in data transfer mode. If it just blinks steadily you haven't established a bind so it won't work. On my system, I have trouble getting the bind if the transmitter is closer to the receiver than about 10 or 12 feet. Don't bother trying to do anything with the software until you get the blinks and then a steady light.

The go to the software and load the configuration file into the receiver. Power off the receiver and transmitter. Disconnect the wire from the receiver. At that point it should work for you if the program in your transmitter is set up properly for the model in which the receiver has been installed.

Best I can do -- hope this helps -

- Herk
May 30, 2014, 07:38 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX
Google search: AR6400 Manual

In the text there's a section on changing channel 6 into reversed channel 2 which is what you need

Alternatively you could join the servos together to save channel 6 for something cool like a bomb release etc

However why don't you just put the motor from the radian into the ASK, plugging the radians motor into the ASK receiver? I can't quite see it but there looks like a brushed output behind the servo lead in the pic.
True, the Brick in the Ask-21 will drive the motor no problem. I installed one in my glider. Problem with the Ask-21 is the lack of a motor brake feature. Plus, if thermal soaring is the goal then the Radian is much more capable.
May 30, 2014, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
I'm using XP - you could probably get more specific help if you gave a bit more info. i.e. Did you load the the XP driver? What kind of transmitter are you using? etc.

Assuming that all is compatible and functioning properly, make sure that the transmitter and receiver are properly bound.

Plug the USB device into your computer and start the software. The com switching indication was addressed earlier in this forum. My system does that too and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Load the configuration file that you want to use. Make sure that all the gains are set at 1 and the stick priority values are set at .9. Plug the wire from the USB device into your receiver.

Turn on your transmitter and use a rubber band to hold the left stick all the way into the upper right corner. Power up the receiver and watch the light. It should blink a couple of times and then stay on. That means it's in data transfer mode. If it just blinks steadily you haven't established a bind so it won't work. On my system, I have trouble getting the bind if the transmitter is closer to the receiver than about 10 or 12 feet. Don't bother trying to do anything with the software until you get the blinks and then a steady light.

The go to the software and load the configuration file into the receiver. Power off the receiver and transmitter. Disconnect the wire from the receiver. At that point it should work for you if the program in your transmitter is set up properly for the model in which the receiver has been installed.

Best I can do -- hope this helps -

- Herk
Thanks, Herk for your suggestions. All of these steps I have done as per instructions that came with the 3060 device. (The Tx is a Spectrum DX6i). But I am a step closer:

1) I was able to get the software loaded into my Win 7 machine but the COM SEARCHING space would not register a device.
2) I did a right click on the AS3X software icon and selected Win 7 (even though this was a Win 7 machine) in the "compatibility" option.
3) The software then accepted that the USB 3060 device was plugged into COM4.
4) With a file chosen from the "model configurations" folder loaded, the "Transfer File" tab was activated. So far so good. Just click the "Transfer File" tab and away things should go, right?

NOT!

When I do that, up pops a small window that says "No Respond" !

So I'm either stupid or snake-bit, but maybe someone has gotten this far and solved this (note that I am meticulously following the instructions that came with the 3060)
May 30, 2014, 12:16 PM
Herk
Quote:

NOT!

When I do that, up pops a small window that says "No Respond" !

So I'm either stupid or snake-bit, but maybe someone has gotten this far and solved this (note that I am meticulously following the instructions that came with the 3060)
I was trying to follow the instructions that came with the USB device. I tried and tried and tried - with the same result that you are having. I was also getting help by reading this forum, but I never got the right sequence into my head from either it or the instructions. Meticulously following bad instructions was no help to me. What I found through experimentation is that it would work if a specific sequence had been successfully completed.

I got the file and USB device working in the computer, but the file would not transfer to the receiver unless the transmitter and receiver were on and linked the whole time. The transmitter had to have the left stick in the full forward - right position the whole time, and when I connected the receiver I had to get the quick blinks before a steady glow on the red receiver light. Then I could transfer without getting that failure message. Instead I got a success message.

Wish you luck -- Herk
May 30, 2014, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
I was trying to follow the instructions that came with the USB device. I tried and tried and tried - with the same result that you are having. I was also getting help by reading this forum, but I never got the right sequence into my head from either it or the instructions. Meticulously following bad instructions was no help to me. What I found through experimentation is that it would work if a specific sequence had been successfully completed.

I got the file and USB device working in the computer, but the file would not transfer to the receiver unless the transmitter and receiver were on and linked the whole time. The transmitter had to have the left stick in the full forward - right position the whole time, and when I connected the receiver I had to get the quick blinks before a steady glow on the red receiver light. Then I could transfer without getting that failure message. Instead I got a success message.

Wish you luck -- Herk
Isn't this group great! Thank you, thank you, thank you Herk! Starting with the "Activating X-port" paragraph in the 3060 instructions, I did everything but I ignored Instruction # 9, which says "Turn the transmitter off". I left it on and continued to the "Programming the AS6410NBL" section. Indeed, I got the "Success" message. I still have to test the results, since Spektrum could be lying, but at least I'm making progress.
May 30, 2014, 10:11 PM
Here's how I finally got it to work on my Win7 x64 machine.

Installed the drivers per the above instructions, then rebooted and attempted to follow the rest of the instructions for making connection, etc. Would not work! So, on a whim, rebooted again. This time I had success by doing the following:

Started the software as admin (didn't do that the fist time). Then, plugged in the USB dongle. The software identified the dongle on COM2. Then, clicked the "read" button to pull the settings from the brick (screenshot below). Then, I clicked the "transfer file" button and got the "success" message.

One thing I did in my early attempts to get it working was change the com port number from COM10 to COM2. I've seen in other software/hardware setups where a two digit com number doesn't work, so I changed it to the lowest value that was available (COM2). (This is accomplished via the device manager...)

Anyway, I'm glad I finally found a way to turn off the ghastly gyros for my UMX P-40, I just couldn't stand fighting with the computer for control of MY airplane.

Quick Reply