This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 03, 2014, 04:27 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Discussion

A New Year's Project

The closing days of 2013 saw some furious activity on the Scale Electric forum of rcgroups. For many years a growing dissatisfaction over sharing the forum with the ever-increasing ARF fraternity had been festering and finally after much heated (and often unnecessary) debate, the forum was split. We, the scratch builders got a space where I read virtually every thread as it is posted and the ARF folk could 'do their thing' in private. Sadly, the character of many of our modelling mates were revealed and it was not always pretty But here we were, a new space, more scratch building on the same page and no ARFs. The ARF/scratch discussion has been done to death and quite frankly, I find it boring as an intellectual topic. So no more of that!

To celebrate the new forum, electric/ scale-kit-scratch-built, a Build-off was proposed and eagerly organised. Six months to design, build and fly a NEW model. Teaming up with Peter Rake as designer, we started on Jan 1, 2014 as per rules and within a few days some basic bits of a Polikarpov PO-2 appeared. I was a little disappointed that that the rules were slowly watered down to include designs that had already been started or even completed which rather undermined (for me) the original concept. In some cases, models had already been started prior to 2014 BUT the flurry of activity seen in the new forum made it all worthwhile.

The Polikarpov was one of those love-at-first sight aeroplanes - I first saw it when searching for a biplane with an exposed radial engine as I'd never properly modelled a radial before and the PO-2 ticked all the boxes for me. The other likely contender was the Fairey Flycatcher. All this stuff, history, and a rather over-descriptive build thread can be found here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post27053878

In less than 3 months, Pete had designed the model (with plenty of input from me), I had built it and it had flown - and flown very successfully too. I particularly like that 'Polly' was all hand cut and apart from the electrics, uses no commercial parts - wheels, pilot figures, and ultimately the dummy engine being scratch built. Pete also designed the model to make hand cutting the traditional way, easier. I believe that this little 45" model is the best I've done yet, competing with my Avro Bison and the Rake 1/6 D.VII. Why? - I'll have to think about that..........
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Apr 08, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2014, 04:26 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

What next?

No lack of projects partly finished or barely started
I have the 1/4 scale SPAD XIII - almost finished but scares the hell out of me when I think about flying! The Heinkel 111 is also near completion and deserves some more work. The Hutson Lysander's airframe in done and I could proceed with covering. Maybe do a bit on all these models before starting anything else.

The two other projects are the Bengston 1/6 Camel - I need to build the undercambered wings and of course, my favourite long-term project the Avro Anson.

I have plenty of house reno stuff to do too so no lack of projects to keep me occupied
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....
Apr 29, 2014, 05:49 PM
Bipes Rule!

Biplanes

Very nice wow top notch building i amso envious!!!'
Oct 07, 2014, 03:41 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
A small disaster happened earlier this year - I tried to land my beloved Fokker D.VII on top of the steel-posted runway boundary fence at our local club! The result was not pretty but due to the rugged nature of this Peter Rake design, the spars and, amazingly, the wing struts remained intact and even still connected. Sadly, almost all the ribs in both wings on one side were broken. And of course, the handpainted lozenges
When I posted this mishap here on rcg, Charles from J1MK, without hestitation, offered to cut and send me, free of charge, a complete set of new ribs.
In due course, the D.VII was repaired, checked and reflown without incident.
A big thanks to Charles and good luck to his new business
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....

Quick Reply