Dismembered Member...
Thread OP

Brushless CD ROM Motor Surplus - Part 2

continuation from here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2004, 07:22 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
@scubasteve
Once you have sent your stuff to your customers, sent them a mail with the address of the specific gobrushless discussionthread(s).

Groeten Ron
Mar 26, 2004, 07:25 AM
Roger that... FYI I just got an email from the manufacturer w/ tracking #s for the packages...

sigh... he sent them overnight. should arrive today.

Think that's good news? Too bad he billed it to my DHL account!!!

OUCH!
Mar 26, 2004, 09:11 AM
Steve if you need some more help as in $ let us know. Getting exciting and I definatly want a few of the custom bell's . You saved me from laying out all the cash for a new lathe !

Any chance of the bells being ready for the same first shipment . Johnathan
Mar 26, 2004, 09:19 AM
If a person was to get the magnets, wire, cans, stators, shaft and bushings, is that all we need to get from gobrushless.com to give a DIY motor a try?
Mar 26, 2004, 09:56 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis

Ouch indeed!

like you say good news for us guys, but not so good for you lol.

sheepy, you might still have to get a longer shaft than the standard motor comes with, and of course have a brushless esc
but otherwise you would be good to go with what you you mentioned

phil
Mar 26, 2004, 10:43 AM
Mar 26, 2004, 10:44 AM
the standard shafts SHOULD provide just barely enough to stick a prop adapter on there, which i am in the midst of stocking as well

if not, i believe the custom cans will have pre-attached shafts

ehem, still waiting for a response from jeff @ e-flightline
Mar 26, 2004, 11:02 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis

that's great news on the shafts steve

the hardened shaft's from e-flightline will be a great addition to these motors as they are much better quality than the gws
varients. my anticipation is really growing now, i can't wait to get started on these motors

phil
Mar 26, 2004, 12:56 PM
Why not Delta?
I'm waiting for stators before I start my bell. I did all the calculations and I'm thinking of turning my bells from 1 inch EMT. I hope it should be enough matrial in ID for turning to 27 mm (I'm going to use 2mm magnets). EMT is much thinner than 1 Inch metal pipe I'm using now (EMC), so should be less work on lathe (less material to take out).

Steve, are you going to have N45 and N40 Magnets - 10 mm by 3mm by 2mm thick? These are my choice for double whopper.

RysiuM
Mar 26, 2004, 01:07 PM
Lemme talk to George. We spoke a little about custom mags, and it's definitely doable, but all I have ordered so far was what you see on the webpage - the reason is that the custom cans being made utilize the N45 5x5x2s

I initially planned on getting 10x5x2s and 15x5x2s, obviously because they will fit perfectly into the 2-stator & 3-stator custom cans... If there is a demand for the 3mm wide ones, I can look into it. Are you the only one using them, Richard?

In a 25.5mm can, whats the config using 3mm wide mags vs. the 5mm wide? I do have those 5x2.5x2's you know...
Mar 26, 2004, 01:36 PM

customs?

Steve,
count me in for helping out with extra "donations" if your shipping bill is not covered by what we have sent you. I think all the readers/contributors of this thread believe you are doing us all a huge service.....and we do not want any "draw back" on your account from pricing considerations.

NOTE: I saw a CD-ROM motor at Baylands where the builder had used a thermal plastic cup (like the kind you take your liquid medicine in). He put the magnets on the cup surface with CA, then he heated the cup in an oven with a second cup full of water inserted in the first cup. As the heat caused the first cup to deform slightly, all the magents got embedded in the plastic and stayed at a perfect diameter of the second cup which just slid into the first cup as its diameter expanded. He had already put a brass plate in the bottom of the first cup with a hole in the plate and a nut soldered to the plate. He did a second "bake" with a hose clamp around the first cut to cause the bell sides to be straight up and down and perpendicular to the brass plate.

It was an amazingly simple way to insure magnet bonding and to get a fixed diameter bell for the stator. Has anyone else tried something like this? I will try to get details on the plastic cup the next time this Frenchman comes to the flight field.
Crazy Ted
Mar 26, 2004, 01:43 PM
Why not Delta?
Quote:
Originally posted by ScubaSteve
In a 25.5mm can, whats the config using 3mm wide mags vs. the 5mm wide? I do have those 5x2.5x2's you know...
Here it is:
Assuming 0.1 mm minimum airgap and the Bell OD = Bell ID plus Magnet thickness (bell thickness = 1/2 magnet thickness) the best fit is from 3mm wide magnets.

See the fllowing calculations

RysiuM
Mar 26, 2004, 02:10 PM
Richard, you gonna wanna stick to the stock cans then? I emailed George - awaiting a response. I just assumed (there's that word again) that once the custom cans became available, the stock can orders would decrease...

then again, using the stock can, the BASIC kits (available soon) are like <$9.00 lol....

whodathunk - a $9 brushless motor that outperforms a $80 BL in performance, size, AND weight
Mar 26, 2004, 02:59 PM
Why not Delta?
Quote:
Originally posted by ScubaSteve
Richard, you gonna wanna stick to the stock cans then?
My primary interest would be in double whopper with custom bell and 24 10x3x2 magnets. I need to verify if I needN45 or N42 (depends how hot the bell will be). Such motor should handle at least 100W.
It willl cost me a little more, than 9 bucks:
24 magnets = $7.50 (if I buy 200 pieces plus S&H)
2 stators = $1.20
Shaft = $1.50
2 Bearings = $2.20
Magnet wire = $.50
Bearing support + Bell = lot of work

I need to find a way of making bells and bearng support cheap and easy. I will experiment with 8mm CF tube but for conventional mounting I think I will need to do a lathe work.

I will be playing with single stator motors with CF bearing support - for very light planes. If I will be able to make bells easy, I will use 24 magnets 5x2.5x2. If not, the only option will be using stock cans with 12 magnets 5x5x1.

I have ordered a couple bells and stator/shaft cupport just to experiment with performance comparison (using standard magnets). We will have finaly some questions answeres (like what the heck is Delta vs Wye difference).

RysiuM

Quick Reply