Apr 04, 2014, 07:59 AM
I am a Just flyy wannabee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman
Finally !
I have watched so many videos of the Carbon Z Cub , while wishing for a smaller one from Parkzone .
Wishes do come true , thank you Parkzone for this new plane .

Parkzone may have produced what so many of us have modified our HBZ Super Cubs to be , what we wanted , with the upgrades , that Parkzone Sport Cub will now provide right out of the box .

This is looking like a great new addition to the PZ fleet,,,,,,,finally they add a cub ! a huge upgrade from the ole HBZ super cub we all know and love.....

This will be on my wishlist in late june......and great at the cottage!

to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2014, 08:09 AM
Sucker for biplanes
DAMM! Wish I waited on buying the CZCUB, Its a little big for travel. This Cub is perfect! I have been flying a Hobbyzone Supercub for years with a brushless set up and ailerons. It goes everywhere with me. This will be its replacement.
Apr 04, 2014, 08:14 AM
you ain't gang you can't hang
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Max current ratings are just what the motor can handle without burning out... it doesn't necessarily mean that's what's going to be drawn... that depends on the prop, the prop determines the current draw on the system. Regardless, that's the E-flite 480... this is the Parkzone 480, there are no published specs on it other than kv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftica
Just because a motor will put up with a certain amperage, doesn't mean you can't run it at lower amps.

Unless PZ has made a rather large boo boo i'm sure they tested the set-up as is and are satisfied the motor only asks for the amps that the esc can handle.

Put a larger prop on this plane and you might well need that larger esc you want!

EDIT: what North said! ^
i see. yeah, confused with a different motor. thanks guys!
Apr 04, 2014, 08:27 AM
Sucker for biplanes
Looks like this new Sport Cub uses the same HZ Super Cub floats also. That's good at $24.99, and I already have a pair. I know they CZCUB floats to forever to come in stock and I just gave up on them.
Apr 04, 2014, 08:30 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
I have two sets of those floats as well Was going to make one into an air boat for both water and snow.
Apr 04, 2014, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1
I wonder why they took the Carbon Cub label off? Either way I'll be getting one!
Sport Cub doesn't have a Carbon Cub label

http://www.cubcrafters.com/

Name: sport_cub_carbon_cub.jpg
Views: 319
Size: 250.9 KB
Description:
Apr 04, 2014, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Sport Cub doesn't have a Carbon Cub label

http://www.cubcrafters.com/

Attachment 6651132
Let me rephrase. Why make the UMX CC , the big Carbon Z Cub and make this a Sport Cub? Just seems odd. The differences are subtle but I much prefer the look/power of a CC to the SC. I guess they had to keep the price down somehow
Apr 04, 2014, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1
Why make the UMX CC , the big Carbon Z Cub and make this a Sport Cub? Just seems odd. The differences are subtle but I much prefer the look/power of a CC to the SC. I guess they had to keep the price down somehow
Read the descriptions on the Cubcrafters site, they both use the same airframe. The differences are where you can't see them, like under the hood. (which is irrelevant to an RC model)

Doesn't seem that odd. The Carbon Cub has been done twice by HH already. Something a little different (although it isn't, really )
Apr 04, 2014, 09:13 AM
Agree to disagree!
Apr 04, 2014, 09:19 AM
ok

?

Apr 04, 2014, 09:22 AM
They call me Lipo...
WOW !!!

I've been on the road, making the trek to SEFF, and just checked in on RCG and saw this.....PURE AWESOME !

Great to see all my friends over here too....

I really liked my UMX CC, but got so ticked off that it had issues....numerous, well documented issues....that after it crashed a second time due to the elevator linear-actuator locking up, I binned it !

I really, really like my CZC....what a well rounded, great flying model. Just one little problem.....it's not so little

Enter the Sport Cub.....this is a wonderful compromise that I have been waiting for since the demise of my UMX CC. So much so that I already pre-ordered a PNP version for under $200.00

Perfect sized model, great color scheme (nice job on the "N480PZ" registration numbers...!), and it looks to have plenty of power with the supplied powertrain.

Although I don't suspect the model needs any changes, I think my favorite Wildcat mod, upgrading to a 30A E-flite ESC and fitting the PZ 9.5x7.5 prop found on many other models, will perk her up just a smidge (not that it looks like it needs it), and give a little extra headroom in the ESC.

I also plan on adding the flap servo straight out of the box (although I doubt it really needs one; just another thing to up the cool factor ), so with the additional servo load, and the slightly bigger prop, I'm thinking I'll need the extra capacity of a slightly bigger ESC (not to mention I already have one on hand...).

Typical of Parkzone, I think the fact that they (the designers at HH) used a slew of components they already have on hand (essentially the Hobbyzone Glasair Sportsman powertrain), and the fact that you have to add your own flap servo, they were simply trying to hit a price point, which I think PZ did rather nicely. Way to go Parkzone!

John
Last edited by Justwingit; Nov 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Apr 04, 2014, 09:37 AM
Plastic Buddha
Funny how some of us are already modding it before it even hits the shelves! LOL!

I'm thinking:

1) FunCub wheels? probably save a bit of weight.
2) Cub Nut Landing gear. (bought for FC, never installed)
3) might look at the tail wheel set-up too.
4)Vox/Xoar prop.
Apr 04, 2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin
why would a person buy the sport cub if you can get the apprentice which includes safe, then sell the stock dx5e making the apprentice total around $260, just $40 more than this?
The performance of this plane should be much more robust then the Apprentice shouldn't it? (I already have an Apprentice)
Apr 04, 2014, 10:47 AM
Will fly for food
I have a UMX CC as well as a Aeroworks Sport Cub. I may need one of these to fit in the middle
Apr 04, 2014, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Read the descriptions on the Cubcrafters site, they both use the same airframe. The differences are where you can't see them, like under the hood. (which is irrelevant to an RC model)

Doesn't seem that odd. The Carbon Cub has been done twice by HH already. Something a little different (although it isn't, really )

The cowlings are actualy slightly different.

Quick Reply