Apr 10, 2014, 10:46 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79
Just out of curiosity why do you guys think yours fail when say FMS makes 1400mm warbirds which are basically 40/50 size planes in both axis and allied planes and they sell quiet well. They have a lot of happy customers and a wide variety of warbirds to choose from. I wonder if it's not so much as a unpopular warbird as it is making one in a good paint scheme, scale details, and a decent size. It obviously can be done without breaking the bank. I am by no means attacking anybody just curious. This mustang looks fantastic and I don't even like mustangs. I hope there is one at Joe Nall flying this year.
I had a FMS 1400mm P-51 and was ok. I then bought a E-flite Hawker Hurricane and I still comes with me to the field. I love the plane. It fly's very nice and scale and is great to practice take offs and landings. It just sucks it was out of production so fast. I think that its a lot nicer quality than FMS planes.

Dave, when is there going to be more info on this P-51? Release date, manual?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2014, 01:33 AM
Pitch for airspeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER
I had a FMS 1400mm P-51 and was ok. I then bought a E-flite Hawker Hurricane and I still comes with me to the field. I love the plane. It fly's very nice and scale and is great to practice take offs and landings. It just sucks it was out of production so fast. I think that its a lot nicer quality than FMS planes.

Dave, when is there going to be more info on this P-51? Release date, manual?

I think I read first of may towards mid may. It's ashame about your TF but with a 3 piece wing this plane will be so nice to haul
Apr 11, 2014, 01:41 PM
WOW....
It is everything I would have done, if I were to BUILD a 50 cc mustang from SCRATCH!!!!!

In fact, I have a TF 50cc p-51 that I have cut the wings (3-sections ) main wheels can stay...just like this one.... I belive I paid 360$ for my ARF before the price hike..... It will be fiberglassed as well......

My point ....I would buy this one in a SECOND...if I didn't have the other one...
The scale outline looks SO much better than TF's..... The rounded back end... ect... just looks great...

A Spychalla kit for my p51 was 200$???? so it brings it right up quick... plus a new spinner...
The correct size is 5 1/2 Welll what do you know..... H9 has the CORRECT size spinner on this plane!!!!....

Awsome job Hangar 9!..... .

There is Always room for 1-more SCALE looking Giant scale ARF..... !!!
Apr 11, 2014, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79
Just out of curiosity why do you guys think yours fail when say FMS makes 1400mm warbirds which are basically 40/50 size planes in both axis and allied planes and they sell quiet well. They have a lot of happy customers and a wide variety of warbirds to choose from. I wonder if it's not so much as a unpopular warbird as it is making one in a good paint scheme, scale details, and a decent size. It obviously can be done without breaking the bank. I am by no means attacking anybody just curious. This mustang looks fantastic and I don't even like mustangs. I hope there is one at Joe Nall flying this year.

I think the talk about Foamies....could go in the electric Forum posts....
Parhaps that is why it is a fail? LOL,,,,,,

Doesn't really matter This isn't a build, just a "look what's new thread"
Last edited by kocher; Apr 11, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
Apr 11, 2014, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER
I bought a TF giant P-51 2 months ago. The kit was in very bad shape. Broken rudder and all the control surfaces were warped. Waited for parts and they never came. !
Control surfaces warped??? It wasn't a kit then.... a ARF perhaps????
A KIT, is stored flat, so you would be the exception to have had warped wood...
Warped or strait.... That is in the builders hands... usually....

Any plane from all manufactures can get beat up in the box from UPS.... and you could end up with warps on ailerons, elevators ect...
These can be taken out with a heat gun... in a very short period of time.... But, you are ultimately the customer though...

The H9 will have newer building Tech. in it, (uses more Plywood than balsa) and will most likely have less of a chance, having the wood move post assembly (from what I have seen with newer planes) The innerds are spaced further, but have a higher rigidity due to the use of Light ply....
Slight price dif.... but again, the buyer will decide that ....

I hope I am not coming across abrasive.... just wanting to clarify...
Last edited by kocher; Apr 11, 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Apr 12, 2014, 10:59 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocher
Control surfaces warped??? It wasn't a kit then.... a ARF perhaps????
A KIT, is stored flat, so you would be the exception to have had warped wood...
Warped or strait.... That is in the builders hands... usually....

Any plane from all manufactures can get beat up in the box from UPS.... and you could end up with warps on ailerons, elevators ect...
These can be taken out with a heat gun... in a very short period of time.... But, you are ultimately the customer though...

The H9 will have newer building Tech. in it, (uses more Plywood than balsa) and will most likely have less of a chance, having the wood move post assembly (from what I have seen with newer planes) The innerds are spaced further, but have a higher rigidity due to the use of Light ply....
Slight price dif.... but again, the buyer will decide that ....

I hope I am not coming across abrasive.... just wanting to clarify...
Sorry, It was a ARF that I bought about 2 months ago. The rudder was broke off at the tip (top), the covering was so loose that I could not get it to tighten up. Also the warped control surfaces, they were bowed almost 1/4 " on the flaps. I started a build thread here, Top Flite P-51 Mustang DLE55RA in fuel warbirds. I just sent it back and waiting for a refund.
Apr 13, 2014, 08:30 AM
The ONLY revision I would like is the spinner cut for 4 blades.

I guess going to have to be patient on getting an E62 and cowl dimensions for pRU dimensional mods on engine height and propshaft length along with counter balancing to the engine.. Remember Byron's? They became legendary not for quality but because of the innovation in many of his designs like the prop drive.
Apr 16, 2014, 02:02 AM
Prefers radials
Pre-ordered & subscribed!

cheers
Apr 27, 2014, 11:17 PM
Suspended Account
I've pre ordered the kit & retracts. For anyone interested the part numbers for the retracts are EFL700 & EFL750 for the mains and tail respectively.
Apr 28, 2014, 09:18 AM
Sucker for biplanes
Any news on a release date? How about a video?
Apr 28, 2014, 09:53 AM
Prefers radials
web site date slipped a month to 'mid-July'. For me, that's perfect as it's trending towards my Winter build project. Here's my bill of materials list:

1. P-51D Mustang 60cc ARF - Hangar 9 - HAN4770 (ordered)
2. Evolution Engines 62GXI with SureFire EFI - Horizon - EVOE62GXI
3. 50-60cc 90 Deg Main Retract P-51 - Horizon - EFLG700
4. 50-60cc 90 Deg Tail Retract P-51 - Horizon - EFLG750
5. Spektrum PowerSafe Receiver (12-channel) - Spektrum AR12120
6. TM 1000 Telemetry module (SPM9548) - Spektrum - SPM9548
7. Telemetry ignition module (EVOA107) - Spektrum - EVOA107
8. 5-1/4" P-51D 10-Spoke Mustang Wheel (2) - Hangar 9 - HAN47701
9. IBEC - TechAero

Outstanding:
- prop
- tail wheel
- receiver batts (2 - LiFe)
- servos
- LED's (ElectroDynamics)
Apr 28, 2014, 10:32 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
The 30cc Evolution engines I got have been including the ignition telemetry, so you may want to double check before you end up with two of them. Or....send me your address, I have a few laying around
Apr 28, 2014, 11:12 AM
Prefers radials
Thanks for the heads up! Having in-flight RPM data is terribly useful so I see why Horizon would bundle the sensor to differentiate the Evo engines. Looks like the next generation of Spektrum Rx's will feature integral telemetry as well which is goodness.

I'm slowly assembling my list so it'll be a while before I pull the trigger on the engine. In fact, will probably wait for a review or two before that step - wink, wink.

Cheers
Apr 28, 2014, 11:27 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Hopefully one will end up in the hands of a reviewer soon. Though I know for a fact, if they have them at Nall you will see close up pic's and flight shots
Apr 29, 2014, 09:47 PM
Suspended Account
I'll be running the same setup but I'm still debating the evo60 or a da60. Keleo makes a custom exhaust to suit the da60 on the aeroworks p51 which im hoping can be adapted for this bird.

Quick Reply