Apr 02, 2014, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Vortex 2

Just came across this video:
Vortex 2 F3K (3 min 47 sec)

But no idea about price, performance or availability. Has anyone out there more info about it?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2014, 07:35 PM
Kyle Clayton
Please! I've been asking for days now to find more info about one of these, no response so far
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Apr 02, 2014, 08:03 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
I found this:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorte...67982523266281

Buddy
Apr 02, 2014, 10:33 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider
Please! I've been asking for days now to find more info about one of these, no response so far
Send a PM to RetoFX - he's had one, and is/was trying to sell it on the Classifieds.

Apr 02, 2014, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
Send a PM to RetoFX - he's had one, and is/was trying to sell it on the Classifieds.

I believe Reto's was a 1 not a 2?

The 2 looks cool, higher AR wing (root chord around 165-170 I heard), slip on nose cone, convential tails, topdrive.
Apr 02, 2014, 11:47 PM
Yup, looks like a Vortex 1 with a conventional tail.
Apr 03, 2014, 03:02 AM
AERO+
I've chatted with Nikola and know some details of the new plane and sure Denis did a wonderful job again and push the vortex series to a higher level, can't wait to see the spec and more official news from them.
Apr 03, 2014, 06:42 AM
Kyle Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles

Yes, his is a Vortex 1, still a great plane. Reto could fling it to the moon and work anything with it, and I saw Mike Seid use his at DESS a couple years back quite well in some nasty stuff. The 2 seems to have improved on that more, that's why I'm really interested in it.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jul 15, 2014, 07:49 PM
Horizon Hobby
Guys,

I am fortunate to have received the first Vortex 2s in the US, I thought you'd like to see some images and details.

First impression? Amazed. I'm extremely impressed with the build quality, fit and finish, and attention to detail. The layout is now fairly standard; gone from the previous version of the Vortex are the full flying stab and four servos in the pod configuration. The stab is now pylon mounted, and the flaperon servos live in the wing.

The wing is solid core with spread tow skins. The wing trailing edge and flaperon leading edge are prefaced with carbon, very stiff and super clean. The glass skinned tails also have prefaced hinge surfaces, no open foam. Really nicely done.
Design-wise you might call this a middle-of-the-road approach with regard to AR and area. The root chord is 166mm, where a Snipe is around 160 and a Validol 175.

The fin has a socket and the end of the boom reduces in size to match. This takes all the guesswork out of aligning the fin other than squaring it to the stab and wing. The stab pylon is molded into the fuse and there's a mating surface molded into the underside of the stab.

The fuse is 2.4 friendly, and has a side hatch. Plenty of room for radio gear. The wing mounts on conical aluminum posts. The wing is partially submerged on the fuse and has a fairing to blend it with the boom.

Undoubtedly some of you will want to know the weights. My scale is old but the raw parts measured as such:
Wing: 122.7g
Fuse: 32.2
Tails: 12.2

Pricing and US distribution is still being finalised, I'll advise here when more is known.

Craig
Jul 15, 2014, 09:36 PM
M Seid
super sweet craig. Denis does amazing work. these are very exciting revisions to a wonderful version 1. The tail configuration is going to make the plane very user and builder friendly. With the wing redesign Ill bet Nicola has already hit 85 meters on a plane that looks like itll handle amazing. Very excited to hear your flight reports.
Jul 16, 2014, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid
...With the wing redesign Ill bet Nicola has already hit 85 meters on a plane that looks like itll handle amazing. ....
Still work in progress

I'm sure that this plane have potential to go on 85 meters or more, but I'm still not in so good shape to reach it.

Nikola
Jul 16, 2014, 08:53 AM
Just fly...
Niiiiiice.
I like those little details that help with assembly and keep things aligned properly.
Pretty plane.

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Greening
Guys,

I am fortunate to have received the first Vortex 2s in the US, I thought you'd like to see some images and details.

First impression? Amazed. I'm extremely impressed with the build quality, fit and finish, and attention to detail. The layout is now fairly standard; gone from the previous version of the Vortex are the full flying stab and four servos in the pod configuration. The stab is now pylon mounted, and the flaperon servos live in the wing.

The wing is solid core with spread tow skins. The wing trailing edge and flaperon leading edge are prefaced with carbon, very stiff and super clean. The glass skinned tails also have prefaced hinge surfaces, no open foam. Really nicely done.
Design-wise you might call this a middle-of-the-road approach with regard to AR and area. The root chord is 166mm, where a Snipe is around 160 and a Validol 175.

The fin has a socket and the end of the boom reduces in size to match. This takes all the guesswork out of aligning the fin other than squaring it to the stab and wing. The stab pylon is molded into the fuse and there's a mating surface molded into the underside of the stab.

The fuse is 2.4 friendly, and has a side hatch. Plenty of room for radio gear. The wing mounts on conical aluminum posts. The wing is partially submerged on the fuse and has a fairing to blend it with the boom.

Undoubtedly some of you will want to know the weights. My scale is old but the raw parts measured as such:
Wing: 122.7g
Fuse: 32.2
Tails: 12.2

Pricing and US distribution is still being finalised, I'll advise here when more is known.

Craig
Jul 17, 2014, 12:25 PM
AERO+
Craig, wonderful photos, can't wait to touch them

Quick Reply