Apr 02, 2014, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Hostetler's Cessna 170B

Hi folks! Been lurking on the site for the past few months, and finally wanted to join and introduce myself.

I've been building for 30 years, mostly slope soaring gliders as I could never afford powered planes when I was young. I started out building a CG Gentle Lady for my first model when I was a kid and finally progressed to large 3 meter sailplanes by the time I was done.

I've been flying all the bind N fly models that have come out and they just don't do it for me. With nothing but charging the battery out of the box, I have little respect for these planes and always start doing risky maneuvers (inverted low passes, etc...) until they finally crash. I never get really heart broken because they were so cheap and I didn't really invest in them emotionally.

So I was inspired by the stunning build thread here on the Hostetler Cessna 195 and finally started building my own Hostetler Cessna 170B.

We have had a 1955 Cessna 170B in our family for 20 years. It's been a faithful airplane, and I'm building this model as a homage to our full scale plane.

I originally had a build thread going on our Cessna 170 Association forum, but I think I will get more advice/help here when and if I run into obstacles. This is the first time I will have to glass the sheeting so I'll definitely be asking lots of questions.

Here's a picture of the subject, my trusty 1955 Cessna 170B.
Last edited by Aryana; Apr 02, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2014, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Ordered my laser cut kit from National Balsa. Very good quality. There were a couple pieces broken when the kit arrived, but they promptly sent replacements.

If you want to see my original build thread on The International Cessna 170 Association forum, you can view it here.
Apr 02, 2014, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Planning on using the OS FF-320 converted to gas/spark ignition. CH Ignitions has been recommended to me by my LHS. Any other suggestions/advice? The gas/spark ignition conversion sounds stellar on a youtube video.

Nitro/glow video
Gas/spark ignition video
Apr 02, 2014, 02:30 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
I'm looking forward to watching your progress. You look like you are off to a great start. I am currently working on a Top Flite Cessna 182 which I seem to have been working on forever. Next up is a pair of scratch built 1/5 th scale 1937/38 Ryan SC (see avatar its the 38). I had a laser cutter do the formers and the wing spars/doublers the wing ribs were cut by hand. And after that I have planned a 1946 Globe Swift in quarter scale.
Apr 02, 2014, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
The Globe Swift is one of my favorite airplanes of all time. I'm a huge fan of the Continental O-300 in my Cessna 170B, and the Globe Swift is the fastest airframe from the post war era that used the O-300.

When they are polished up, with that cowl that looks like it's "smiling"...they are beautiful!
Apr 02, 2014, 03:02 PM
Erik Richard sells the 1/4 scale plans for the airplane his father Charles design as well as an excellent fiberglass cowling. This the airplane I am going to build and I have custom gear designed for it made by Robinaire. Lee consulted witch Erik on a design to replace the one his father originally designed that is in the planes. Charles Richard was a close friend of Clovis Miller who's Swift was a Top Gun winner. The two designs were so similar that when Clovis' had a build article published on his Globe Swift it was printed using pictures of Charles' airplane! Here is a thread on the Globe Swift if you are interested: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1561963

Mike
Apr 02, 2014, 03:22 PM
I am in for watching this build.

Loving the lovely lace work aft end.

Ken
Apr 02, 2014, 03:40 PM
I thought you would like it Ken. maybe some of the rest of the usual suspects will join us?
Apr 02, 2014, 03:52 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
On the gas / ignition thingy, I converted a Saito 270 twin, and am currently running it on glow... My concern is that gasoline engines are designed with ball / roller bearings, and can tolerate a low oil content
Glow engines depend on a high oil mix to lubricate the bushings (not bearings) in those engines... OS has finally advertised a mixture of 20 - 1 in their engines.
Armed with this information, make your own decision...

Cessnas are coming into their own recently, visibly absent at most model fields.
Later, Earl
Apr 02, 2014, 04:03 PM
The 170 was the first airplane I ever rode in. It had the rounded vertical stabilizer, so was maybe a "B" model. It was in maybe 1956-58; or, sometime there abouts.
Apr 02, 2014, 04:07 PM
Maybe we'll see an resurgence of Cessnas like the Cub is enjoying?
Apr 02, 2014, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
I thought you would like it Ken. maybe some of the rest of the usual suspects will join us?
Yeah and we both know they are mighty suspicious. Heck just tolerating us makes them so

Ken
Apr 02, 2014, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
On the gas / ignition thingy, I converted a Saito 270 twin, and am currently running it on glow... My concern is that gasoline engines are designed with ball / roller bearings, and can tolerate a low oil content
Glow engines depend on a high oil mix to lubricate the bushings (not bearings) in those engines... OS has finally advertised a mixture of 20 - 1 in their engines.
Armed with this information, make your own decision...

Cessnas are coming into their own recently, visibly absent at most model fields.
Later, Earl
So how do any of the glow to gas engine conversions last? Is it just a crap shoot where you shorten the life of the engine dramatically and roll the dice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md6364
The 170 was the first airplane I ever rode in. It had the rounded vertical stabilizer, so was maybe a "B" model. It was in maybe 1956-58; or, sometime there abouts.
Very cool! All of the 170's built during the entire production run form 1948-56 had rounded vertical stabilizers/rudders. Only the 1948 model didn't have a dorsal fin. The B model is distinguished by the addition of fowler flaps and some dihedral in the wings among other small changes.

1948 "straight" 170

1949-51 170A

1952-56 170B
Apr 02, 2014, 06:18 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Aryana...I don't know how long they last...Maybe with the state of the art lubricants,the engines will be fine..
I didn't mean they WON"T last, I'm just concerned about nice engines being ruined if the oil content isn't high enough.

Until OS posted their new gas engine's requirements, I had never seen an accepted ratio advertised...They recommend 20 -1...(not 20 % ) oil.
Apr 02, 2014, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
I get what you mean. I have some time to figure it out, so I'll do some more research. Thanks!

Quick Reply