Mar 31, 2014, 05:09 PM
Idea

Mini size PDB

I'm thinking of making a small'ish size power distribution board to simplify wiring for small quads. Wiring up ESCs and FPV components on a 250mm quad can be a pain, so maybe this could be a plug and play solution without adding too much weight.

This is what I'm thinking so far:
-Dimension 36mmx36mm with 30.5mmx30.5mm mounting holes... does it make sense to go smaller and use double sided tape for mounting?
-ESCs connections for 8 ESCs
-Built in power supply filter for Vtx and camera, 12V supply
-Connector for Camera input... 3-pin male servo type or something else?
-Connector for VTX input...3-pin male servo type or something else?

What other 'features' would you like to see on it?

-Tony

Rev 1 - Received April-16...Works great!
Rev 2 - Instock as of May-02
Rev 3 - Instock on June-20

Rev 2 kit contains: 36mmx36mm PDB, connectors, power filter components
Specs:
-Dimension 36mmx36mm with 30.5mmx30.5mm mounting holes
-Built in power supply filter for Vtx and camera 12V supply
-3-pin connectors for VTX and Cam
-2oz copper for low lost

Available From:
www.RedRotorRC.com
http://www.rc-drones.com/Mini-Power-...uts_p_670.html
http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/...ra-inputs.html
http://www.dronematters.com/index.ph...put-rev-3.html
http://www.fpvrotor.com/?product=mini-pdb-v3

Assembly Guide: https://redrotorrc.com/download/RedR...ly%20Guide.pdf

Rev3 Improvements:
-Double the copper thickness to handle 400/450 size quads
-Black soldermask
-Servo pins are moved inside keep connected cables neatly out of the way
-Beefier ESC pads and through hole Batt connectors
Last edited by bt408; Oct 28, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2014, 06:30 PM
Variable voltage for FPV gear. There are fairly cheap DC DC converters on eBay (<$2) which have been used with some success for providing 3.3v and 5v for different pieces.
Mar 31, 2014, 07:16 PM
Good idea Dave! I've been using 12V cameras for so long that I've forgotten about 5V ones.
Can these DC/DC converter be mounted on PCB? it's not hard to leave a footprint for these modules to mount on...if you need to use it.
Btw, I'll have a few boards made within the next few days. I will make the layout available to those who wish to make it themselves.
Apr 05, 2014, 09:31 AM
Sorry for the late reply. The converters i mentioned are ebay item number 310683416079. I don't have the equipment to verify it but they are apparently very low noise. Certainly don't appear to mess with my 5.8GHz system. I'm using 2 of them (1 at 5v for mobius and 1 at 3.3v for vtx). There's a good youtube video on these, I'd link to it but on my phone at the mo. It would be very easy to mount these to a custom PCB using 0.1" headers. Not sure what sort of demand would be there for it though
Apr 06, 2014, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebianDave
Sorry for the late reply. The converters i mentioned are ebay item number 310683416079. I don't have the equipment to verify it but they are apparently very low noise. Certainly don't appear to mess with my 5.8GHz system. I'm using 2 of them (1 at 5v for mobius and 1 at 3.3v for vtx). There's a good youtube video on these, I'd link to it but on my phone at the mo. It would be very easy to mount these to a custom PCB using 0.1" headers. Not sure what sort of demand would be there for it though
Thanks for the reference to the converter board. If there's enough interest in mounting these to the PDB then I can add a footprint to the 36x36mm PDB...it will be tight but not impossible.
I just finished laying out the first version of PDB:
-10 common power inputs to connect to either Battery or ESCs
-LC power filter
-3-pin camera
-3-pin Vtx connector

I'm not sure what the weight will be exactly, but hoping to be less than 10 grams with all the components loaded.
Apr 06, 2014, 06:56 PM
☢ ɴᴏᴏʙ ☢
awesome project tony
it will be great if the board is compatible with OP CC3D/Revo & naze32
dimension 36mmx36mm with 30.5mmx30.5mm mounting holes
Apr 06, 2014, 08:28 PM
Thats such a great idea!!
Apr 06, 2014, 10:18 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
I'd be done for or more of these.

Could've used one this weekend lol

great idea
Apr 06, 2014, 11:14 PM
masterless samurai
Definitely subscribed. Any chance of incorporating a micro lc filter and / or 5v stepdown regulator? If it's a mini, there's going to be some noise.
Apr 07, 2014, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinco
awesome project tony
it will be great if the board is compatible with OP CC3D/Revo & naze32
dimension 36mmx36mm with 30.5mmx30.5mm mounting holes
Thanks Trinco! I just conrrected the dimensions in my original post...It's meant to be compatible with all the popular mini size FC's (CC3D&Naze32)
Mounting holes are ~3.2mm large to accommodate for M3 screws with a little wiggle room.
Apr 07, 2014, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhover
Thats such a great idea!!
Thanks! I could see one mounted on an MXP230
Apr 07, 2014, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin
Definitely subscribed. Any chance of incorporating a micro lc filter and / or 5v stepdown regulator? If it's a mini, there's going to be some noise.
Version 1.0 does have an LC filter built in. Version 2.0 will likely have a 5V output... I haven't decided to use a buck or a linear regulator. I guess it depends on how many people are using 4S in their mini?!?
Apr 08, 2014, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt408
Thanks! I could see one mounted on an MXP230
I would love to see one on the MXP230
Apr 08, 2014, 09:49 PM
Always Building
I would love to buy one
Apr 09, 2014, 02:04 AM
I'm getting a few back from the fab house by the end of next week. I'd like to give back to the community by giving out a few units. Send me a quick PM if you're interested... All I'm asking is that you share some pictures of it mounted on your quad