Sep 18, 2019, 06:42 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
I've been looking for comments/hints about the AR637T. Where did you see them?

EDIT: Found this...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0T-are-here%21
Last edited by flightengr; Sep 18, 2019 at 08:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 09:12 AM

Dongle/Bluetooth Module programmer vs cable program

I like the graphics, tutorials, and convenience of using my smart phone (instead of cable and Windows PC) to program my models. The module can stay put in the data port and has a range of 25-30 ft.

Any difference in software?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/spektru...dule-spmbt1000
Sep 20, 2019, 09:18 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
One oddity with these receivers -- upon starting initialization typically one servo will go sit at an extreme. And then mid-initialization it suddently pops back to mid-range. My latest conversion is on a 3D with big control surfaces and those actions jerk the huge elevator instantaneously through nearly 90 degrees. Disconcertingly, the whole plane jumps off the ground. Hasn't resulted in anything bad yet, but still...

But different 636's don't react all the same. Maybe jerks a different channel for example. Also, I've noticed the receivers take various times to complete initialization. From a couple of beeps to as many as 5 or 6. Have to wonder why there doesn't seem to be any consistency from unit to unit? Or if there's anything we can do about it?

Mostly just a curiosity.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlandaccents
PS: It looks like the new Spektrum RX's are going to shut us out of the PC Programing. Based on Andy's comments.
I don't know about "shut you out" but more of "make it unnecessary" is definitely true.

The new receivers support 24 orientations, not just 8.

In Open Stock mode, the new receivers allow for support of wing types not available in the old ones because it uses the programming in the transmitter to know which channels are control surfaces.

In BNF mode, they work just like the AR636 - that is, you can have wing types defined in the receiver.

You may have to rewrite your app, though. I actually don't know about that part.

Andy
Sep 20, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I don't know about "shut you out" but more of "make it unnecessary" is definitely true.
Hi Andy. Will the new receivers (which look amazing btw) still support configuration over USB with spektrum programming software?

Presumably not every radio that can bind with a dsmx rx will be capable of forward programming.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Hi Andy. Will the new receivers (which look amazing btw) still support configuration over USB with spektrum programming software?
I don't know. I suspect so. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's different.

Quote:
Presumably not every radio that can bind with a dsmx rx will be capable of forward programming.
Every Spektrum transmitter from DX6e to DX20, plus iX12, will. You will need to install version 2.03 AirWare (not yet released) for the DX line. I don't know the version number for the iX12, but I know it's not released yet either.

Andy
Sep 20, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks Andy. Watching the release with great interest.
Sep 20, 2019, 01:31 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
You may have to rewrite your app, though. I actually don't know about that part.
I'd much rather leave the programming up to you guys at Spektrum. You guys know the limits of the receiver firmware and which settings do or don't make sense; all I can do is guess based on black-box testing. But I have to say, I'm very pleased with how well my program works in conjunction with SPS and the AR636. It's the vision I've had for a long time about a receiver with customizable SAFE features. It's some extra steps to get SAFE set up, but at least it can be done.

Very much looking forward to seeing the software for the AR637T, assuming there is some. I fully expect it to be one complete software package with everything my program can do combined with SPS and then more. Let me know if you need a beta tester!

It will also be interesting to try out forward programming from the transmitter.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Last edited by flightengr; Sep 20, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Sep 20, 2019, 05:29 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
I just noticed this line in the AR637T manual:
Quote:
Easily perform the setup for the AR637T receiver through your compatible Spektrum Transmitter with Forward Programming or the Spektrum PC Programmer
Sounds like there will in fact be a PC option!
Sep 23, 2019, 03:37 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Do we have any options for converting a plane having elevons and a rudder? I tried to use the F27 SRM for the elevons and re-route the rudder commands though channel 6, but no response to the rudder stick. Is Ch 6 not available for independent use? I don't have panic enabled, so nothing should be using Ch6.

Yes elevons and rudder is unusual. This one is a 3D delta, but I think the old Stryker had that configuration as well. Was not a Safe plane though, so no SRM to work with.
Sep 24, 2019, 02:14 AM

AS3X is OFF on DX8 gen 1

I received my F27 PNP and put on it an AR636 from a Radian night on which I have flushed the F27 srm file successfully.

After binding my old silver DX8 (wing normal, tail normal) following the ON SAFE select procedure, here are the results:
  • Aileron, Elevator stick movements are correct
  • The 2 position Gear switch controls SAFE
  • Gear SW pos 0: SAFE is ON. When I turn the plain left/right or up/down, the aileron surfaces move correctly to compensate and stay there until I bring it back to level position.
  • Gear SW pos 1: SAFE is OFF but also AS3X is OFF. I don't see any temporarily movements on the ailerons when I turn the plain around its axis. The plane behaves as a plain receiver is installed on it.

Any idea why AS3X is disabled?

PS:
Servo cables: Left => Ch 2, Right => Ch 3
this is copy/paste from my post on F27 disussion
Sep 24, 2019, 03:19 AM
As3x won't do anything until the throttle has been moved. Above 25% is the generally accepted rule, although I'm unsure if that's documented.

Anyway. Blip the throttle and try again.
Sep 24, 2019, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
As3x won't do anything until the throttle has been moved. Above 25% is the generally accepted rule, although I'm unsure if that's documented.

Anyway. Blip the throttle and try again.
Thanks a lot !
Seems that this is the trick.
Altghough I hear only a slight noise on sudden turns and the servos sound very very little, I am almost sure they sound now.

Thanks again for the tip.
Sep 24, 2019, 07:28 AM
If you want to satisfy yourself that it's working ok, crank the gains up and do the test - it will almost look like the control surfaces are lagging behind the movement of the plane. It's quite odd.
Sep 24, 2019, 07:30 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
AS3X will keep moving the control surfaces as long as the plane is moving. Remember that AS3X is reacting to unexpected acceleration in any direction.

If you turn it slowly but steadily, it will hold the control surfaces a little longer so you can see which way they're moving. When you stop moving the plane, the controls return to center.

Quick Reply