Jun 03, 2014, 01:08 AM
Trophies are awarded for guys that fly perfect pattern.
Combat U/C is simple; survive and advance, and pick up the hardware.

Our hobby isn't always about performabnce standards.
Sometimes it's about the self development with personal growth, attitude, and the expression of the personal interactions the hobby brings.

Guys like Suenaga are very good for our hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2014, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen

Sometimes it's about the self development with personal growth, attitude, and the expression of the personal interactions the hobby brings.

Agree!
Jun 03, 2014, 06:57 AM
I believe I can Fly.....
Quote:

agree !!!

My Trainstar is on the way...... I will make some changes it will be Frankstrainstar!!!
Jun 03, 2014, 08:01 AM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater
That last landing was coming in pretty hot! Great to see that you saved it though
Thanks Jimmy, yes the Storch really moves, even with just a 1300mah battery in her. I need lots of landing practice
Jun 03, 2014, 08:05 AM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP
Quote:

Thanks Ben, Im just having a ball on my own "curve" right now. Most of the folks here have forgotten more about flying than I'll ever know, but Im having fun flying all different kinds of planes as a beginner. I'll never be a great flyer, but that's ok for me. Just tryin to keep em in the air.
Jun 03, 2014, 10:50 AM
From what I read in this thread, the receiver cannot be mounted upside down, is that correct?
Jun 03, 2014, 01:14 PM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward
From what I read in this thread, the receiver cannot be mounted upside down, is that correct?
Yes--that is correct.
Jun 03, 2014, 07:45 PM
Another question Suenaga if I may, the location of the SAFE receiver has to be near the CG?

I hope to have my RX this week to try in another plane, a Freewing Pandora.
Jun 03, 2014, 09:15 PM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward
Another question Suenaga if I may, the location of the SAFE receiver has to be near the CG?

I hope to have my RX this week to try in another plane, a Freewing Pandora.
As close as is feasible. I don't think it has to be "exact". Just right side up, securely mounted, and the front facing forward (as in the Apprentice S). You may need to change the esc to an amp eflite one.. I have found it necessary with the planes I have installed SAFE in. I see that the Pandora motor uses a 30a esc so it should be no issue, I use a 30a eflite esc in my storch. I would place it in the spot where the manual says to place its own receiver. Looking at the Pandora manual it looks like placing the safe receiver should be no issue. The biggest key will be ensuring, verifying and double verifying that all control surfaces move in the correct directions via the sticks, and that safe makes its correction in the proper directions as well.

bench test, bench test, bench test.
Last edited by Suenaga; Jun 03, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
Jun 04, 2014, 02:56 PM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP
I've been helping another flier put the Safe Rx from his apprentice S into his Carbon Z splendor. Later this evening I'll be posting a detailed step by step that I am providing to him. Although it is specific to the CZ Splendor conversion with his DX-8 transmitter, much of it will be applicable to other models as well. The directions for installing SAFE Rx in a Carbon Z Cub will be be identical as for the Splendor, other than throws, expo, etc, and of course the correct switch assignments and servo travel directions on your model of spektrum transmitter. .

Jim
Last edited by Suenaga; Jun 04, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
Jun 04, 2014, 08:50 PM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP

Converting an Eflite Splendor to SAFE Rx

Steps to follow installing the SAFE RX in an Eflite Splendor.

1. Remove the AR635 receiver from the Splendor.

2. Install the SAFE Rx in its place. you can use servo tape or velcro, but make sure the SAFE Rx cant move or shift.
Ensure it is installed right side up and facing forward. The back end of the SAFE Rx is the end with the servo leads plugged into it.

3. Plug in the servo leads to the SAFE Rx (aileron, rudder, elevator, throttle. For the Splendor, the aux 2 port will remain unused.

4. The splendor comes with an eflite ESC which is compatable with the SAFE system.

<Its time to set up the transmitter>

5. Set up the Splendor as a new model with the following steps. How you set it up with the safe system will depend on the model of spektrum tx that you have .
I use a DX-9. The Apprentice S manual has the directions to
set up the SAFE system on different transmitters. Find the transmitter you have and ensure you follow those specific set up directions. for the
DX-8, the setup should be straight forward, esp if you have already set up your apprentice S on the DX-8 . All the switches should have the same function on the DX-8 for a SAFE equipped Splendor that the the Apprentice S did. Remember to start with a clean, new model on your tx for the Splendor.

6. Start with a new model in your memory. Set it up as an airplane with normal ailerons, no flaps. Name it "Splendor' ow whatever you want. It needs to be a separate model than your Apprentice S if that model is also on your Transmitter.

7. Go into your servo settings and ensure that the Aux 1 channel is "REVERSED". This is your panic mode channel. On the DX-8 It should already be mapped to your trainer toggle, just like the original apprentice s was for your DX5e. You must have this channel "REVERSED" otherwise you will always have "panic mode" acivated, and you dont want that. You want panic mode to only be active when you "pull" the toggle switch.

8. The 3 SAFE modes should already be defaulted to your Gear switch (channel 5), Just like the Apprentice S was. Switch pos 0 should be Beg mode, Pos 1 Intermediate mode, and Pos 2 Advance mode.

9. You can set up rates in your Tx next. Assign your dual rates as normal for your transmitter (I use a 2 position switch with Pos 0 being high rates (100%) and pos 1 being low rates (70%).
i always just fly on low rates with the Splendor.

10. I set up expo pretty high since this plane is so nimble. i set all my expo to 50% on each channel. It keeps me from over correcting (just my own preference).

11. You can set up a throttle cut switch if you like as well (your own preference).

Next, its time to bind your transmitter to the SAFE Rx.

12. I recommend REMOVING YOUR PROP for safety from this step until you are all set up and ready to go flying. Nothing is worse than having your model go flying off the table unexpectedly
or the prop starting to spin while you are holding the model and testing the control surface movements with SAFE. You can do all tests and further setup without the prop.

13. Turn off your transmitter

14. Insert your bind plug in the SAFE Rx bind plug port

15. Make sure your battery switch on the outside of the fuselage on the nose is in the "off" position.

16. Plug in your battery.

17. Turn the battery switch on the outside of the fuselage on the nose to the "on" position.

18. While Holding the 'trainer/bind" toggle, turn on your transmitter and let the bind process begin. Release the toggle when the bind says it is completed.
The trainer/bind toggle still operates as a bind toggle even though it is also the "panic switch" when you are flying. There will be no conflict.

19. When the bind is complete you can remove the bind plug from the transmitter.

20. You should now be able to test your throttle and control surfaces.

21. Move your rudder stick left and right and note the direction of the rudder.
Make sure to note that the rudder moves left when you move the stick left, and right when you move the stick right.

22. Do the same with your elevator--pulling the stick back towards you should move the elevator "up'. Move the stick forward and the elevator should go down.

23. Do the same with the Ailerons---Move stick to the left, the left aileron should go "up' and right aileron should go down". Move the stick to the right,
the right aileron should go up and the left aileron should go down.

24. If any control movement for the above 3 steps is wrong, now is the time to go to your servo settings on the transmitter and reverse that particular channel.
On my splendor the rudder and elevator directions were already fine but my ailerons were reversed so i had to reverse my aileron channels.

25. (note) the above tests are only for the control surface movements directed by your sticks, NOT the SAFE correction directions. Those will come later.

26. After reversing any needed channels re-test as in steps 21-23 and verify that yourcontrol surfaces are all moving in the proper directions via your stick inputs.

27. Next, go ahead and check your throttle. MAKE SURE THE PROP IS REMOVED for SAFETY. Run your throttle up a bit to verify that your motor armed ok. You can verify the direction of the spin
direction on the motor as well. if you are in the pilot's seat looking forward to the nose, the motor (propeller, if it was attached) should be spinning clockwise. if the prop is moving
backwards you just need to change the connection of one of the three wires leading from the motor to the esc. i doubt you will have this issue, but its something to check if you havent
flown the model yet.

28. Once the above tests are complete, You are ready to test the SAFE Rx system to verify the SAFE correction directions are correct for each control surface.

29. it is advisable to be very familiar with how your Apprentice behaved when the SAFE system made corrections. The Apprentice S manuals gives good descriptions and
if you have flown the Apprentice you should already be familiar with the different flight envelope restrictions, correction directions of the flight surfaces,
and what each flight mode will let you do.

Now lets bench test the SAFE RX

30. If you haven't already, run your motor up about25-30% of full throttle and then back down to 0 throttle (IS YOUR PROP REMOVED FOR SAFETY???? GOOD . Make sure the gear switch is set to
pos 0 which should be "beginner safe mode' Running the motor up will activate the SAFE mode and AS3X features (same as the Apprentice S).

31 Now lets first test the ailerons. Set your transmitter down and leave sticks at neutral position. pick up the model and hold the model up in level front of you with the nose pointed towards you.
Dip the plane's right wing (to your left). As you tip the wing, SAFE mode
should attempt to apply "UP" aileron to the left wing in its effort to level the wings. When you tip the left wing down, SAFE should raise the right aileron up to correct the movement.
When you move the wings back to "level" the ailerons should go back to a neutral position. If the correcting directions are correct,go to the next step. if not, (mine were not) make a note
that the aileron servo directions were wrong and go to the next step.

32. Now lets test the elevator. Holding the plane level in front of you as in step 31, lift the nose of the plane up as if in a climb. As you do that you should see the elevator move down
in an attempt to bring the nose down to level flight. When you move the nose back down to level the elevator should go back to neutral. If you move the nose down the elevator should move up
to correct. Again returning to neutral when the plane's nose is level. if all correct, move to step 33. My splendor was correct for the elevator, so you should be fine as well.

33. Now, lets test the Rudder. Holding the plane level as in steps 31 and 32, push the nose left and right in sudden, quick movements. The rudder should reactsuch taht as the nose goes in one direction
the rudder should move in the OPPOSITE direction. My splendor also was correct in this movement so i think you should be fine as well.

34. Now assuming that your Splendor was manufactured like mine was with the servo's installed the same ways and in the same directions, you will likely have discovered that your ailerons were
not correcting in the right directions during the SAFE test. What is needed now is to MECHANICALLY change the direction of the servo arms 180 degrees on the AILERONS and then adjust the
placement of the aileron servo horns accordingly. I am including pictures of the before and after placement of the arms and the horns. Note: You do not have to remove the servos. you just
need to unscrew the arm from the two servos and replace the arms so they face in the opposite direction (180 degrees) from original. Once you do that you will see that to connect the servo to the aileron
via the wire linkage you need to move the servo horn over a bit. pics of that change are included. i found that the servo horns are only screwed in (not glued) so they are not hard to remove.
I needed a hobby knife to dig out a little foam to get them to seat flush on the aileron but it wasnt hard. i did apply a little glue to them after imoved them to be safe. To make sure
that I had the linkage "geometry" close to what was original, i took photos of the servos and linkage to the control horn before i made the changes so I could make sure they were similar.
Note that eflite didn't use the traditional 90 degree angle to the servo control horn, we are used to hearing about. Im told this is normal for the splendor.

35. After you have adjusted the servo arm directions and the servo horns, allowed any glue to dry, and reattached the wire linkages, you are ready to re-test the aileron SAFE Rx correction directions
as you did in step 31. (NOTE: now that you have physically reversed the direction of the aileron servo arms, you will no longer need to have the aileron channel reversed as you may have
done in step 24. (This was also in my case). Re-test the control surface direction of the ailerons with your stick as you did in step 23. If movement is reversed, just set your aileron servo
direction in your transmitter back to 'normal'.

36. now re-test your SAFE Rx aileron movement again as you did in step 31. the correction directions should be good now!

Now is the time you can bench test the SAFE Rx in all of the different flight modes (with your Prop still off)

Here is a brief description of the 3 flight modes and the behavior you should expect in each, as you test.
Ill try to explain how the Safe works in each mode and how to bench test it to verify each of its behaviors (there are 3) is working, and in which mode.

“Beginner Mode”--- In this mode, there are 3 behaviors that the SAFE receiver exhibits.
The first behavior is wing leveling. After running the throttle up to 25-30% (pretty sure that’s the number), SAFE (and AS3X) starts working. To test wing leveling, do the throttle run-up, and then with
sticks at neutral (throttle down, lol), dip your model’s wings in either direction and you should see the ailerons respond to correct the roll. As you roll the model back to level flight the ailerons
will reset to neutral. The same will happen with pitch – ie your elevator will respond to counter-act a nose up or down attitude and will return to a neutral position when the plane is level again.

The second behavior is the beginner flight envelope. This is to keep the beginner pilot from overcorrecting with the sticks so he/she doesn’t roll or loop the airplane. The way to bench test (you may need
a second person to hold the transmitter and move the sticks for you) it is to hold your plane level, then move the right stick to command a right or left bank of the aileron and then move your plane by hand to roll
the plane in that direction. As you roll to a greater degree you will see the ailerons suddenly snap back to neutral, even though you have the stick pushed all the way over. The degree of bank that your plane
is at when the ailerons snap back shows you the flight envelope for your plane when banking. It will not let you bank that plane to any greater degree than that. This protects the pilot from
inadvertently rolling the plane from overcorrecting on the sticks. The same behavior can be demonstrated with pitch and the elevator. Pull the stick back to simulate a climb and then point your nose up—as
you increase the pitch, at some point the elevator will snap back to neutral, preventing you from pitching up any higher than that point—this keeps the pilot from looping the plane.

The third behavior in beginning mode is AS3X. This makes corrections in pitch, roll, and yaw due to things like wind. With the sticks neutral just move your plane in pitch, roll, yaw, and you will see
the control surfaces react to COUNTER that movement. (This is what the AR635 does that comes with the Splendor).

" Intermediate Mode"--- When you flip the switch to this mode, wing leveling behavior is turned off, the flight envelope is still restricted, but now you are able to bank your plane and pitch up
or down and to a much greater degree than in beginner mode. Bench test as described above in Beginner Mode. You will still not be able to do a loop or fully roll the plane, but the flight envelop
restrictions are greatly reduced. AS3X is also active in this mode. You can bench test this as you do in the Beginner Mode described above.

" Expert or Advanced Mode" --- In this mode, only AS3X is active. You will see the control surfaces react to changes in pitch roll and yaw with the sticks neutral. This stabilizes the plane in windy
conditions. You have full control to loop, roll, invert, etc. You can bench test this as above.

At first as you move the plane around you might be thinking there is no difference between the flight modes, but thats because you are seeing AS3X working in all 3, but the Beg and Int modes are quite
different as you will see when you perform the tests above. If you are looking for a mode in which AS3X is turned off, it doesnt exist--it will always be on, even in the advanced mode,

Note--the above assumes you have the 3 flight modes assigned to a 3 pos switch, per the Apprentice manual.

If everything "checks out" you are ready to fly! Reattach your prop and make sure it is tight. Your maiden should be in Beginner mode. The splendor is a lot faster than the Apprentice, you should be able
to take off pretty quickly and she flies very nicely at 1/2 throttle once she is in the air. Take her up high and you can test the panic mode, intermediate and expert modes. She can come down pretty fast on
landing approach so give her lots of runway to slow to a stop. I cut the throttle about 4 or 5 feet from the ground and just guide her in. She tracks very well.

Some additional notes on my own EfliteSplendor>>

All equipment is stock (esc, servos, etc) as stock except the receiver. I needed one servo lead extension for the elevator because the existing one wasn't quite long enough to reach the SAFE Rx.
When I first plugged in the SAFE Rx with no other mods, the aileron channel needed to be reversed for normal control (as described above). Elevator and Rudder were fine. When I ran the motor up and activated SAFE, the correcting
directions were reversed on the ailerons, and correct on elevator and rudder. I determined that I would need to move the aileron servo arms 180 degrees. This was simple enough to accomplish without removing
the servo (just unscrew the arm and reinsert the opposite direction). However, I did need to remove the servo horns on the ailerons and move them over. (pics below).

Once I did the mods on the aileron servos, I found I no longer needed to reverse the aileron channel for normal stick control, and all surfaces were moving correctly for corrections in SAFE and AS3X. So far
so good.

The control surfaces on the Splendor are huge, compared to what Im used to, so I moved the linkages on the aileron, elevator, and rudder servo arm 3 holes in to reduce the throws some. There still seems to
be plenty of throw, and as Im not a 3D pilot, so that's fine with me.

I have the elevator, aileron, and rudder servo travel set in the transmitter all at 125% as recommended in the manual. For dual rates, Full rates are set at 100% and low rates at 70%. I have a lot of expo on all three-- about 55%.

The digital servos "sing" just like they do on the Apprentice S.

After the modification, the aileron servo arms will both be pointing towards the fuselage.

Key to photos

Photo 1 New aileron control horn placement as seen from the top (right wing)

Photo 2 Overview of the plane seen from the top after the servo horn placement changes.

Photo 3 New aileron servo arm and servo horn placement (left wing)

Photo 4 New aileron servo arm and servo horn placement (right wing)

Photo 5 placement of SAFE Rx in the plane

Photo 6 Original aileron servo arm and horn placement before modification (left wing)

Photo 7 original aileron servo arm and horn placement before modification (right wing)

Photo 8 New control horn placement seen from top of wing (left wing)
Last edited by Suenaga; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Jun 04, 2014, 09:13 PM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP

Converting the Eflite Carbon Z Cub to SAFE Rx

Steps to follow installing the SAFE RX in an Eflite Carbon Z Cub

1. Remove the AR635 receiver from the Cub.

2. Install the SAFE Rx in its place. you can use servo tape or velcro, but make sure the SAFE Rx cant move or shift.
Ensure it is installed right side up and facing forward. The back end of the SAFE Rx is the end with the servo leads plugged into it.

3. Plug in the servo leads to the SAFE Rx (aileron, rudder, elevator, throttle. For the Cub, the aux 2 port will be used for the flaps.

4. The Cub already comes with an eflite ESC which is compatable with the SAFE system.

<Its time to set up the transmitter>

5. Set up the Cub as a new model with the following steps. How you set it up with the safe system will depend on the model of spektrum tx that you have .
I use a DX-9. The Apprentice S manual has the directions to
set up the SAFE system on different transmitters. Find the Spektrum transmitter model you have and ensure you follow those specific set up directions. for example, on the the
DX-8, the setup should be straight forward, esp if you have already set up your apprentice S on the DX-8 . All the switches should have the same function on the DX-8 for a SAFE equipped Splendor that the the Apprentice S did. Remember to start with a clean, new model on your tx for the Splendor.

6. Start with a new model in your memory. Set it up as an airplane with normal ailerons, no flaps. Name it "CZ Cub" or whatever you want. It needs to be a separate model than your Apprentice S if that model is also on your Transmitter.

7. For a DX-8 go into your servo settings and ensure that the Aux 1 channel is "REVERSED". This is your panic mode channel. On the DX-8 It should already be mapped to your trainer toggle, just like the original apprentice s was for your DX5e. You must have this channel "REVERSED" otherwise you will always have "panic mode" acivated, and you dont want that. You want panic mode to only be active when you "pull" the toggle switch.

8. The 3 SAFE modes should already be defaulted to your Gear switch (channel 5), Just like the Apprentice S was. Switch pos 0 should be Beg mode, Pos 1 Intermediate mode, and Pos 2 Advance mode.

9. You can set up rates in your Tx next. Assign your dual rates as normal for your transmitter (I use a 2 position switch with Pos 0 being high rates (100%) and pos 1 being low rates (70%).
i always just fly on low rates with the Cub (my preference as a beginner).

10. I set up moderate expo about 30% on each channel. It keeps me from over correcting (just my own preference).

11. You can set up a throttle cut switch if you like as well (your own preference).

Next, its time to bind your transmitter to the SAFE Rx.

12. I recommend REMOVING YOUR PROP for safety from this step until you are all set up and ready to go flying. Nothing is worse than having your model go flying off the table unexpectedly
or the prop starting to spin while you are holding the model and testing the control surface movements with SAFE. You can do all tests and further setup without the prop.

13. Turn off your transmitter

14. Insert your bind plug in the SAFE Rx bind plug port

15. Make sure your battery switch in the battery compartment is in the "off" position.

16. Plug in your battery.

17. Turn the battery switch in the battery compartment to the "on" position.

18. While Holding the 'trainer/bind" toggle, turn on your transmitter and let the bind process begin. Release the toggle when the bind says it is completed.
The trainer/bind toggle still operates as a bind toggle even though it is also the "panic switch" when you are flying. There will be no conflict.

19. When the bind is complete you can remove the bind plug from the transmitter.

20. You should now be able to test your throttle and control surfaces.

21. Move your rudder stick left and right and note the direction of the rudder.
Make sure to note that the rudder moves left when you move the stick left, and right when you move the stick right.

22. Do the same with your elevator--pulling the stick back towards you should move the elevator "up'. Move the stick forward and the elevator should go down.

23. Do the same with the Ailerons---Move stick to the left, the left aileron should go "up' and right aileron should go down". Move the stick to the right,
the right aileron should go up and the left aileron should go down.

24. If any control movement for the above 3 steps is wrong, now is the time to go to your servo settings on the transmitter and reverse that particular channel.
On my splendor the rudder and elevator directions were already fine but my ailerons were reversed so i had to reverse my aileron channels.

25. (note) the above tests are only for the control surface movements directed by your sticks, NOT the SAFE correction directions. Those will come later.

26. After reversing any needed channels re-test as in steps 21-23 and verify that yourcontrol surfaces are all moving in the proper directions via your stick inputs.

27. Next, go ahead and check your throttle. MAKE SURE THE PROP IS REMOVED for SAFETY. Run your throttle up a bit to verify that your motor armed ok. You can verify the direction of the spin
direction on the motor as well. if you are in the pilot's seat looking forward to the nose, the motor (propeller, if it was attached) should be spinning clockwise. if the prop is moving
backwards you just need to change the connection of one of the three wires leading from the motor to the esc. i doubt you will have this issue, but its something to check if you havent
flown the model yet.

28. Once the above tests are complete, You are ready to test the SAFE Rx system to verify the SAFE correction directions are correct for each control surface.

29. it is advisable to be very familiar with how your Apprentice behaved when the SAFE system made corrections. The Apprentice S manuals gives good descriptions and
if you have flown the Apprentice you should already be familiar with the different flight envelope restrictions, correction directions of the flight surfaces,
and what each flight mode will let you do.

Now lets bench test the SAFE RX

30. If you haven't already, run your motor up about25-30% of full throttle and then back down to 0 throttle (IS YOUR PROP REMOVED FOR SAFETY???? GOOD!) . Make sure the gear switch is set to
pos 0 which should be "beginner safe mode' Running the motor up will activate the SAFE mode and AS3X features (same as the Apprentice S).

31 Now lets first test the ailerons. Set your transmitter down and leave sticks at neutral position. pick up the model and hold the model up in level front of you with the nose pointed towards you.
Dip the plane's right wing (to your left). As you tip the wing, SAFE mode
should attempt to apply "UP" aileron to the left wing in its effort to level the wings. When you tip the left wing down, SAFE should raise the right aileron up to correct the movement.
When you move the wings back to "level" the ailerons should go back to a neutral position. If the correcting directions are correct,go to the next step. if not, (mine were not) make a note
that the aileron servo directions were wrong and go to the next step.

32. Now lets test the elevator. Holding the plane level in front of you as in step 31, lift the nose of the plane up as if in a climb. As you do that you should see the elevator move down
in an attempt to bring the nose down to level flight. When you move the nose back down to level the elevator should go back to neutral. If you move the nose down the elevator should move up
to correct. Again returning to neutral when the plane's nose is level. if all correct, move to step 33. My cub was correct for the elevator, so you should be fine as well.

33. Now, lets test the Rudder. Holding the plane level as in steps 31 and 32, push the nose left and right in sudden, quick movements. The rudder should react such that as the nose goes in one direction,
the rudder should move in the OPPOSITE direction. My cub also was correct in this movement so I think you should be fine as well.

34. Now assuming that your Cub was manufactured like mine was with the servo's installed the same ways and in the same directions, you will likely have discovered that your ailerons were
not correcting in the right directions during the SAFE test. What is needed now is to MECHANICALLY change the direction of the servo arms 180 degrees on the AILERONS and then adjust the
placement of the aileron servo horns accordingly. I am including pictures of the before and after placement of the arms and the horns. Note: You do not have to remove the servos. you just
need to unscrew the arm from the two servos and replace the arms so they face in the opposite direction (180 degrees) from original. Once you do that you will see that to connect the servo to the aileron
via the wire linkage you need to move the servo horn over a bit. pics of that change are included. i found that the servo horns are only screwed in (not glued) so they are not hard to remove.
I needed a hobby knife to dig out a little foam to get them to seat flush on the aileron but it wasnt hard. i did apply a little glue to them after imoved them to be safe. To make sure
that I had the linkage "geometry" close to what was original, i took photos of the servos and linkage to the control horn before i made the changes so I could make sure they were similar.
Note that eflite didn't use the traditional 90 degree angle to the servo control horn, we are used to hearing about. Im told this is normal for the Cub.

35. After you have adjusted the servo arm directions and the servo horns, allowed any glue to dry, and reattached the wire linkages, you are ready to re-test the aileron SAFE Rx correction directions
as you did in step 31. (NOTE: now that you have physically reversed the direction of the aileron servo arms, you will no longer need to have the aileron channel reversed as you may have
done in step 24. (This was also in my case). Re-test the control surface direction of the ailerons with your stick as you did in step 23. If movement is reversed, just set your aileron servo
direction in your transmitter back to 'normal'.

36. now re-test your SAFE Rx aileron movement again as you did in step 31. the correction directions should be good now!

Now is the time you can bench test the SAFE Rx in all of the different flight modes (with your Prop still off)

Here is a brief description of the 3 flight modes and the behavior you should expect in each, as you test.
Ill try to explain how the Safe works in each mode and how to bench test it to verify each of its behaviors (there are 3) is working, and in which mode.

“Beginner Mode”--- In this mode, there are 3 behaviors that the SAFE receiver exhibits.
The first behavior is wing leveling. After running the throttle up to 25-30% (pretty sure that’s the number), SAFE (and AS3X) starts working. To test wing leveling, do the throttle run-up, and then with
sticks at neutral (throttle down, lol), dip your model’s wings in either direction and you should see the ailerons respond to correct the roll. As you roll the model back to level flight the ailerons
will reset to neutral. The same will happen with pitch – ie your elevator will respond to counter-act a nose up or down attitude and will return to a neutral position when the plane is level again.

The second behavior is the beginner flight envelope. This is to keep the beginner pilot from overcorrecting with the sticks so he/she doesn’t roll or loop the airplane. The way to bench test (you may need
a second person to hold the transmitter and move the sticks for you) it is to hold your plane level, then move the right stick to command a right or left bank of the aileron and then move your plane by hand to roll
the plane in that direction. As you roll to a greater degree you will see the ailerons suddenly snap back to neutral, even though you have the stick pushed all the way over. The degree of bank that your plane
is at when the ailerons snap back shows you the flight envelope for your plane when banking. It will not let you bank that plane to any greater degree than that. This protects the pilot from
inadvertently rolling the plane from overcorrecting on the sticks. The same behavior can be demonstrated with pitch and the elevator. Pull the stick back to simulate a climb and then point your nose up—as
you increase the pitch, at some point the elevator will snap back to neutral, preventing you from pitching up any higher than that point—this keeps the pilot from looping the plane.

The third behavior in beginning mode is AS3X. This makes corrections in pitch, roll, and yaw due to things like wind. With the sticks neutral just move your plane in pitch, roll, yaw, and you will see
the control surfaces react to COUNTER that movement. (This is what the AR635 does that comes with the Splendor).

" Intermediate Mode"--- When you flip the switch to this mode, wing leveling behavior is turned off, the flight envelope is still restricted, but now you are able to bank your plane and pitch up
or down and to a much greater degree than in beginner mode. Bench test as described above in Beginner Mode. You will still not be able to do a loop or fully roll the plane, but the flight envelop
restrictions are greatly reduced. AS3X is also active in this mode. You can bench test this as you do in the Beginner Mode described above.

" Expert or Advanced Mode" --- In this mode, only AS3X is active. You will see the control surfaces react to changes in pitch roll and yaw with the sticks neutral. This stabilizes the plane in windy
conditions. You have full control to loop, roll, invert, etc. You can bench test this as above.

At first as you move the plane around you might be thinking there is no difference between the flight modes, but thats because you are seeing AS3X working in all 3, but the Beg and Int modes are quite
different as you will see when you perform the tests above. If you are looking for a mode in which AS3X is turned off, it doesnt exist--it will always be on, even in the advanced mode,

Note--the above assumes you have the 3 flight modes assigned to a 3 pos switch, per the Apprentice manual.

If everything "checks out" you are ready to fly! Reattach your prop and make sure it is tight. Your maiden should be in Beginner mode. The Cubflies nicely at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle once she is in the air. Take her up high and you can test the panic mode, intermediate and expert modes. She can come down pretty fast on
landing approach so give her lots of runway on the maiden to slow to a stop. I cut the throttle about 4 or 5 feet from the ground and just guide her in. She tracks very well and once you practice with flaps you will see she almost sets down on a dime, lol..

Some additional notes on my own Eflite Carbon Z Cub>>

All equipment is stock (esc, servos, etc) as stock except the receiver. and the wheels which I replaced with 6" inflatable Dupro tires. When I first plugged in the SAFE Rx with no other mods, the aileron channel needed to be reversed for normal control (as described above). Elevator and Rudder were fine. When I ran the motor up and activated SAFE, the correcting
directions were reversed on the ailerons, and correct on elevator and rudder. I determined that I would need to move the aileron servo arms 180 degrees. This was simple enough to accomplish without removing
the servo (just unscrew the arm and reinsert the opposite direction). However, I did need to remove the servo horns on the ailerons and move them over. (pics below). After the modification, the aileron servo arms will both be pointing towards the fuselage,

Once I did the mods on the aileron servos, I found I no longer needed to reverse the aileron channel for normal stick control, and all surfaces were moving correctly for corrections in SAFE and AS3X.

Jun 04, 2014, 11:05 PM
Excellent descriptions for installing the SAFE rx in the planes shown.
I now have a much better idea of how to install it in any plane.
Thanks very much for your effort in writing that post.
Jun 04, 2014, 11:13 PM
Jim Lafferty
Thread OP
Thanks ClearProp--your comment is greatly appreciated. Im sure there are some typos so I will proof-read again when Im not so bleary-eyed, lol. The process for bench testing will apply to any model you try to put the SAFE Rx in, the biggest challenge and difference will be what Spektrum Tx you are using and what (if any) servo's need to be adjusted to get SAFE correcting in the right direction, if not already. The process for installing SAFE in my Dynam 26M and my Durafly Fieseler Storch was even easier as my servos needed no adjusting. Mechanically they were "good to go" as far as servo directions went. I just needed to substitute an eflite brand esc for the stock esc's and set up my transmitter.

Again, its not for every plane, but there are sure a lot of them out there that can benefit from SAFE if the pilot wants it.

Jim
Jun 05, 2014, 01:48 AM
I believe I can Fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenaga
Steps to follow installing the SAFE RX in an Eflite Carbon Z Cub

1. Remove the AR635 receiver from the Cub.

2. Install the SAFE Rx......

Suenaga... you are amazing mate !! thanks a lot !!!!!!!!
Last edited by Gnascimento3; Jun 05, 2014 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply