May 21, 2016, 11:36 AM

Binding plug extension

Thanks guys I understand it now.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2016, 01:49 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!

Updated Blog - Control Surface Testing Notes

I've updated my blog entry about testing the reaction of the control surfaces based on both SAFE/AS3X and the transmitter.

Now there's a new 8-page document that discusses the installation and testing process for a SAFE receiver at length. I've also updated the field "cheat sheet" to put the SAFE/AS3X responses ahead of the transmitter testing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2481694
May 21, 2016, 02:45 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by HGhost; Sep 01, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
May 21, 2016, 03:15 PM
AVOID crashing read Post#1!

with no signal SAFE-Rx starts to circle down your plane

If a SAFE-Rx looses the Tx-Signal motor is shut of and the Rx tilts the plane a little bit so that it starts to sail down in big circles.

except for the drift with the wind it will come down in a way that no or only a small damage will happen.

I have tested this several times "the hard way" with my Apprentice.

If you would like to test switching off your Tx "the soft way" just keep the plane on ground switch off Tx take plane in your hands and move it around

The servos will be activated to bring the plane into that circling attitude. So I don't care about a rangetest.

best regards

Stefan
May 21, 2016, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
I've updated my blog entry about testing the reaction of the control surfaces based on both SAFE/AS3X and the transmitter.

Now there's a new 8-page document that discusses the installation and testing process for a SAFE receiver at length. I've also updated the field "cheat sheet" to put the SAFE/AS3X responses ahead of the transmitter testing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2481694
Your efforts are beyond excellent. Hopefully people new to the process will use them.
May 21, 2016, 03:45 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
Do you guys range test every outing ? Or when you first install the Rx ? or never ?

Just curious....as i have never really ever done a range test on my DX9.

O yeah thanks Flightengr for your updated "cheat sheet"
You're welcome.

I don't range test all the time. Here's when I tend to do a range test:
- All planes before their first flight of the season
- New plane or new receiver before first flight
- After a transmitter firmware upgrade, I'll range test with a plane or two just to make sure the transmitter is OK
May 21, 2016, 03:48 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrider
Your efforts are beyond excellent. Hopefully people new to the process will use them.
Thanks. That was the goal - to try to gather some of the core things we repeat a lot in this thread into one place for first-timers.
May 21, 2016, 07:41 PM
So, with 3 planes on the horizon ( pun intended ) with safe select on the 636 rx's, does this seem to be the start of the norm? It would be nice if all future receivers have the safe tech and you bind one way to utilize it and the other to not. I really hope so. I would definitely spend my money on these planes and receivers. A nice 1200 size B25 or mossie with safe select would the best thing since toilet paper and pizza.
May 21, 2016, 08:11 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
It's still a tough call at this point. Right now, the SAFE Select receivers are not yet available.

I hope that either SAFE Select or the base features of self-level and bank angle limits become standard parts of the Spektrum receiver line. Wouldn't it be nice if the SAFE Select program became available as something you could load yourself on the stock AR636? I happen to have an AR636 sitting around, so a firmware upgrade would be a wonderful thing!
May 22, 2016, 04:27 AM
Blue Skies
Can you guys help me wrap my head around this SAFE concept, as HH/Spektrum has implemented it? It seems whether it be the AR636 or the AR636A, they are software controlled, but only certain plane model Rxs are programmable? And when it comes to the AR 636 & AR636A, there no way to tell them apart (programmable or non-programmable) once they have ben removed from the plane? And do they all have a port to connect the programming cable?

It also seems some SAFE Rxs only have certain modes of the 3 modes, i.e. BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED. But depending on your Tx (presence of a 3-way switch), you may be able to have all 3 modes? And are these 3 modes implemented with the 'Flight Mode" (FM) concept used by HH on their "AIRWARE" Txs? IOW can you designate FM1 (switch posit0 on your designated switch) the "BEGINNER" mode if you have an AIRWARE Tx?

There's also the additional "PANIC" mode on some Rxs, but not all of them. Is that correct? Or is it available only if you have over a certain number of Chs on your Tx?

Right now I believe the only way to turn SAFE ON or OFF is by the binding process, but not via a switch. Is that correct?

Thanks for any clarification. And thanks especially to flightengr for the work in your blog.
Don
May 22, 2016, 06:21 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
Can you guys help me wrap my head around this SAFE concept, as HH/Spektrum has implemented it? It seems whether it be the AR636 or the AR636A, they are software controlled, but only certain plane model Rxs are programmable? And when it comes to the AR 636 & AR636A, there no way to tell them apart (programmable or non-programmable) once they have ben removed from the plane? And do they all have a port to connect the programming cable?
HH has definitely made things very confusing. Even the designation "AR636A" doesn't have a clear meaning. At one time we thought it implied that it was an AR636 with SAFE programming for an airplane (the "A" on the end, as opposed to "H" for a heli), but even that's not a sure thing.

As it stands right now, you can only get SAFE on an AR636 if you buy a replacement receiver made for a plane that was sold with SAFE features. You cannot add SAFE features to any other AR636.

Also, for now, you cannot do any programming on an AR636 that has more SAFE features than just the panic button. That's changing with the SAFE Select receiver announced for a couple of new models coming out this summer. On SAFE Select receivers, you still cannot change any programming related to the SAFE features (self-level and bank angle limits) but the rest of the receiver functions that you could program for an AR636 are supposed to be available through the programming software.

Quote:
It also seems some SAFE Rxs only have certain modes of the 3 modes, i.e. BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED. But depending on your Tx (presence of a 3-way switch), you may be able to have all 3 modes? And are these 3 modes implemented with the 'Flight Mode" (FM) concept used by HH on their "AIRWARE" Txs?
Not all of the SAFE receivers have three flight modes. For those that do, the receiver expects you to change modes by providing input on the Gear channel (channel 5) from your transmitter.

If you can assign the Gear channel to a three-position switch, then the three positions (+100%, 0%, and -100%) control the three modes directly. If you only have two-position switches, you'd only get two flight modes from one switch (+100% and -100%), but you can get all three with some mixing across two switches.

The flight mode feature of the receiver is a totally separate concept from the flight mode feature on the transmitter. Transmitters have flight modes in order to allow you to set up multiple versions of things like throttle curve, pitch curve (for a helicopter), and other settings, and changing the flight mode on the transmitter changes all of those things at the same time.

That said, you can still set up flight modes on the transmitter and use that feature. To make the transmitter's flight modes correspond to flight modes on the receiver, you would associate your flight mode switch on the transmitter with the Gear channel. I have examples of this in my blog entry for SAFE receiver transmitter setups.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2481678

You don't have to use the flight mode setup on your transmitter if you don't want to. It does add mode complexity to the transmitter setup than simply assigning a switch to the Gear channel. It's nice on the newer Gen 2 Airware transmitters because you can assign a voice callout to flight modes, and the name of the current flight mode appears on the LCD display at all times.

Quote:
There's also the additional "PANIC" mode on some Rxs, but not all of them. Is that correct? Or is it available only if you have over a certain number of Chs on your Tx?
Some receivers have panic and some don't. Some only have panic. It's a feature of the receiver. It doesn't matter how many channels are on your transmitter.

Quote:
Right now I believe the only way to turn SAFE ON or OFF is by the binding process, but not via a switch. Is that correct?
That's correct for the new SAFE Select receivers coming out this summer. Those receivers will only have two flight modes - SAFE "on" or "off". SAFE "on" will be similar to Beginner mode on other SAFE systems in that it will have self-level and bank angle limits. However, the bank angle limits are a little higher and comparable to the limits in Intermediate mode on other SAFE receivers. When SAFE is "off", it will be the same as Experienced mode on other receivers - no SAFE features, only AS3X stabilization. SAFE Select will not have a panic button feature.

SAFE Select will give you the option of assigning the on/off toggle to a switch on your transmitter that you're not using for another function. The on/off switch can be assigned to any channel from 5 to 9. If you are using all 6 of the servo output for various features of your airplane, then you'd be able to put the SAFE on/off toggle on channel 7 if you have 7 or more channels on your transmitter. If you only have a 6-channel transmitter, then you'll have to decide whether you want to use either channel 5 or 6 for the on/off toggle and give up one of those servo connections, or not have the on/off toggle and use all 6 servo connections. The Spitfire will have flaps and retracts, so it's designed to fill up all 6 servo connections out of the box. The Timber only has flaps, so channel 5 will be open for the on/off toggle if you want it.
May 22, 2016, 07:50 AM
Blue Skies
Thanks FE. It sure is confusing but you've done a great job of clarifying it for me. I've pre-ordered the Spitfire 1.2M with SAFE Select and looking forward to using it. I have the DX18 G1 without voice or wireless trainer. So I'll probably put SAFE ON/OFF (Ch7) on a 3 position switch on the right side. The 2 position switches are already taken by the Retracts and Throttle Cut. Thanks again.
Don
May 22, 2016, 08:30 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Sounds like a plan.
The Spitfire manual doesn't explain all of the details for setting up the SAFE on/off switch. It leaves out the key step where you assign a radio channel to the switch (ideally Aux2, channel 7, to the switch of your choice). After you do that, then you can follow the instructions in the manual to flip that switch back and forth to "teach" the receiver that's the channel you want to use for SAFE on/off.

The Spitfire manual also fails to mention that you can use any channel from 5 to 9 (Gear, Aux1, Aux2, Auc3, Aux4) for the on/off switch. That detail was provided in the Timber manual. But again, you can only use 5 or 6 if you do NOT have a servo plugged into 5 or 6.
May 23, 2016, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaper
Jim,
Some more additions to the list, did not see these there:
Multiplex Funman (with optional ailerons added)
Hobby King Wingnetic
FMS SuprEZ
Tower Hobbies Hellcat

All four flying perfectly with Safe!
On the Hellcat, what transmitter were you using and what were your settings on your transmitter? I tried use the Spektrum DXe transmitter with a Tower Hobbies HellCat with the Apprentice electronics with disastrous results! I ordered a DX6i and will try it again but I want to make sure set it up correctly.

Thanks
May 23, 2016, 01:49 PM
Hi need help eflite corsair can some one take me through step by step retracts and flap set up wireing , where to fit reversed if needed, settings ,ect thanks paul

Quick Reply