Anyone Built a Flair Fokker D VII ? - RC Groups
Mar 26, 2014, 07:29 PM
Discussion

Anyone Built a Flair Fokker D VII ?

Just wondering if anyone here has ever built the Fokker. I use to build years ago until I got into the ARF scene. I now have too many planes but I need to tinker. I thought I'd get back into the stick building to slow up on the acquisition of more craft.
I've always loved the WWI planes and after some research I purchased the Flair D VII kit. It should be here this Friday. I also ordered everything I need to complete her.
Attached is the scheme I'll be doing. I just wanted something a little different.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2014, 05:18 AM
I built one of these about 10 years ago and still fly it regularly.
It is a fabulous flyer and extremely aerobatic, as per the full size.
I have an ASP 70fs in mine with a 90 degree manifold so the exhaust points straight down and exits through the floor.
Just build as per the plan, only modification is beef up a lot of the scaffolding joints with small triangular pieces of wood, and in particular where the tailplane meets the fuse. If it gets knocked here it will break, so lots of triangular stiffners between the joints.
Covered mine in Solartex, and have 2 servos in the wings, 1 for each aileron.
It will fly in any weather, even gale force winds.
Darryl
Apr 03, 2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the tips Darryl. I to am using Hitec 225MG mini servos for ailerons. I'm at the point of installing an OS70 surpass with the 90 degree and flex pipe. I have to rolls of Solartex on order for the wings and they're getting the Lozenge pattern printed on them in 1/6th at wildmann graphics. Callie Graphics is making my decals.
I also just purchased a second kit off RCU for $175 shipped. I'm a sucker for a good deal.
I also just got my pilot back from painting by Greg Pierson.
Last edited by phatbob02; Apr 22, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Apr 12, 2014, 07:32 AM
I decided to order an RC Specialties TurboHeader Exhaust for the tight engine bay.I didn't like the flex exhaust and muffler combo. I did a mod to the fuse and cowl and made it one piece to fit my sausages.
Last edited by phatbob02; Oct 05, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
Apr 22, 2014, 03:15 PM
I fueled proofed the bay and installed the engine . I received my lozenge Solartex from Wildmann graphics and decals from Callie. After thrashing with a muffler set up to exhaust out the bottom, I went with a TurboHeader for ease. A little pricey but easier.
Last edited by phatbob02; Apr 22, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:23 PM
Capt. Kelso
Looks great, I commented on your other post about the Lozenge. I've always had an interest in WWI aircraft and will be following your build. Sorry, can't add anything regarding the kit as I just purchased one this week after much research. I had been planning on using my OS 70 as well.

Which set of wheels have you decided on?
Apr 23, 2014, 03:21 PM
Welcome over Captain!

I opted for the Williams Brothers vintage wheels and I was lucky enough to find a discontinued set of their white tire line. They came up for sale in the classifieds.

You'll love the kit if you like building. I've had no issues and it's top quality materials. I grabbed a second off the classifieds that came up for $175 shipped.

The only thing I would do different at this point is to not cover the nose with the ply until I had the engine installed. You can see what I had to do. I'd move the firewall and use a standard engine mount. Moving the wall would also give you more room for a larger fuel tank. I did fit a Hangar 9, 11oz in mine.

So far this week I've assembled the rudder and horizontal, and I'll be installing servos with the control rods. I'm using dual rods on the elevator from past experience with an Eindecker I built. One rod on each side. I like to have everything made and functioning before I cover and mount.

I'll post more pics soon.
Last edited by phatbob02; Apr 23, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Apr 25, 2014, 12:28 PM
Bipes Rule!

Gas/elec

Has anyone built or converted this plane to electric?
Apr 26, 2014, 08:34 AM
Getting the golden rods installed today. I made the 2 to1 adapter for the golden rod from an old barbeque spit I had in my rafters. I had to get a piece of aluminum from somewhere. I've also added a pic of the 45's I added to strengthen the fuse.
Apr 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
Tail controls are finished. Now I'm waiting for my white solartex to cover the tail section. All the stock hardware was replaced with Sullivan 2-56 threaded items.
Apr 29, 2014, 08:46 AM
Capt. Kelso
That's an interesting technique for the elevator control. Haven't seen that before. Impressive build.
Apr 29, 2014, 04:04 PM
I've been doing it since one side of the stab on my Eindecker let loose on its maiden. Luckily it was the side opposite the control horn and I did get her back safely. Sullivan makes an elevator splitter but I couldn't wait.

I'm making aileron servo mounts for the main wing today. I didn't like the stock bell crank method shown in the plans. I'm installing a couple Hitec 225MG Mighty mini's. 54oz of torque should be fine.
Apr 29, 2014, 08:15 PM
I got the aileron servo mounts made and installed today. I had a heck of a time finding longer horns for the Hitec mini servos. Who knew that Hitec had four different servo splines?
May 03, 2014, 10:45 AM
I got the white solartex on the D VII tail and the hinges glued. I mounted the vertical and I'm waiting for the epoxy to setup before I finish with the solartex. Then on to black.....
May 22, 2014, 04:59 AM
Painting