Mar 26, 2014, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Cool

BB 19 USS Louisiana - model

When I saw this article in the local paper:
http://theadvocate.com/features/peop...-in-the-making I knew I had to see this model in person. After a quick e-mail I connected with Dr Kennedy and arraigned a visit. All I can say is WOW. A retired Dentist, Dr Kennedy is a master craftsman. Everything on this model is hand built. Drawing on his years of service with a dental drill, his skillful hands now are drilling into brass and producing fine detail you have to see to totally appreciate. The over 10 foot model is built mostly of brass. No solder, but epoxy holds this baby together. Most of the finer detail is finished and tucked away in boxes all over the shop. Now retired the focus to finish this masterpiece is in full gear. The model when finished will be on display at a museum yet to be determined. Dr Kennedy is a pleasure to talk to and more than happy to show off his work. I hope you guys enjoy seeing his work as much as I did.

Thank you Dr Kennedy for letting me post your work here on this forum.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2014, 05:47 PM
OMG ~

A major part of one's life on one model .....
Mar 26, 2014, 11:07 PM
boat butcher
Wow, fantastic, truly a work of art

Mark
Mar 27, 2014, 02:33 PM
r/c ships and workboats
not much in words that those pictures can't convey...WOW!!!!!
Mar 27, 2014, 04:31 PM
Man that is something!! The launch is a model in itself. Fantastic.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Mar 27, 2014, 07:10 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Impressive ain't the word. Thanks for posting!
Mar 27, 2014, 08:42 PM
Amazing. I like his version of a Dremel. I've seen them from the wrong end a time or two.
Mar 29, 2014, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Dr Kennedy had a well appointed shop, but the one tool I was most impressed with was the dental drill. Lots of tourque and can get down to such low rpms. I do have one complaint though. When he'd turn on the drill my toes curl up and my mouth slams shut
Mar 29, 2014, 09:03 AM
What a wonderful model! Thankls for posting the photos, Rmay! Now, here is someone, I would say, enjoys the building aspect of this hobby!!!
Mar 29, 2014, 03:17 PM
Sweeper Nut
Thanks for posting..just fantastic.
Mar 29, 2014, 04:53 PM
Old Duffer
Incredible!
Mar 29, 2014, 06:33 PM
Submarine or Target?
I think I would trust that man with tools in my mouth. My orthodontist has awards from wire-bending competitions. But he is nothing compared to this man.

Thanks for posting.
Mar 29, 2014, 11:48 PM
The dedication and skill evidenced by this project is incredible! I will really have to study these photos on a large screen. There is so much to be learned from them.

Pete G.
Mar 31, 2014, 07:47 AM
Thread OP
With all the work that has gone into it so far, nearly 30 years Dr. Kennedy tells me he plans to move in the next 6 months. Just packing up all the boxes with part alone will be a monumental task. Let alone all the equipment and supplies. The model is 10 feet long - and did I mention his shop is on the 2nd floor of a garage. He has double doors at one end with attachments for lowering the model. This artist plans ahead!
Mar 31, 2014, 01:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by the goon
Wow, fantastic, truly a work of art

Mark
+1

I wonder if he uses 'dental epoxy' to fasten the brass bits?

Quick Reply