Mar 24, 2014, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Iron Bay Model Company

Has anyone ordered from Iron Bay recently? I received an invoice from them and was directed to pay by Paypal. Money was sent via Paypal on March 6th. I have sent several emails asking for shipping status and I am getting no response at all. To make matters worse their phone number is a non-working number. I'm a couple of days away from filing a complaint to Paypals Resolution Center. Does anyone have a good phone number for them or a way to get in touch with them?

Thanks,

Ray
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2014, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68goat
Has anyone ordered from Iron Bay recently? I received an invoice from them and was directed to pay by Paypal. Money was sent via Paypal on March 6th. I have sent several emails asking for shipping status and I am getting no response at all. To make matters worse their phone number is a non-working number. I'm a couple of days away from filing a complaint to Paypals Resolution Center. Does anyone have a good phone number for them or a way to get in touch with them?

Thanks,

Ray
From everything I've heard they've not responded to any customer contacts for several years. I'd go ahead and file something with Paypal if I were you. I have a few old byron kits tucked away in the basement. PM me and I'll see if theres anything I might be able to hepl you with.

Nick
(former member of Alabaster RC )
Mar 26, 2014, 04:00 PM
WCB
WCB
There are threads about problems with Iron Bay as far back as 2008.
Mar 26, 2014, 04:59 PM
I had the opportunity to fly with guys in Alabaster when you had a big fly-in at an airport...nice group of guys (and gals)....sure do miss Alabama..........
Mar 27, 2014, 07:00 AM
Thread OP
Well come back soon and we'll do some flying. Yeah, we really do have a nice bunch of people in our club.
Mar 13, 2015, 03:26 PM
Found this on manta about iron bay
Annual Revenue Estimate $5 to 10 million
Mar 15, 2015, 08:39 PM
They share the same address as a hobby shop in wheeling, wv. i stopped there once, a few years ago. Its in a fairly dumpy part of town (well, most of wheeling is dumpy to downright 3rd world slum). I didn't see any byron originals sptype stuff as I recall. You have to wonder why this guy wouldn't sell the rights and tooling to someone else, who hopefully has more money to launch a real business. Same sort of thing with Ikon N'West and Mud Duck.
Mar 16, 2015, 05:59 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Seems to me when the guy was in business all guys wanted were replacement parts,, the Giant Scale ARFs quickly dominated the market. Don't know who would try to launch a "builders kit"business these days. Besides, they were neat and all, but the kit price point was to high and the designs are antiquated. I'd be amazed if the line ever came back.
Mar 16, 2015, 07:24 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
They share the same address as a hobby shop in wheeling, wv. i stopped there once, a few years ago. Its in a fairly dumpy part of town (well, most of wheeling is dumpy to downright 3rd world slum). I didn't see any byron originals sptype stuff as I recall. You have to wonder why this guy wouldn't sell the rights and tooling to someone else, who hopefully has more money to launch a real business.
There's an old thread on RCU I think it is where the owner of Iron Bay points out that the Byron tooling etc. was on the block for 5 years with no offers before they bought it. I think they are making their money off defense work basically, the Byron thing was just a (money losing?) hobby. And perhaps some wishful thinking. Fox engines anyone?
Mar 19, 2015, 01:25 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Rumor has it that Iron Bay is being sued by Byron Originals for non payment for the items that they purchased from Byron. It's too bad because the Byron planes are actually really nice kits that just didn't have the powerplants available to pull them when they were in production. I own several of their kits and have built their BD-5J, GeeBee R-2, and Pipe Dream (just because) and all of them have been top notch kits and flyers. Wish someone would bring them back!

Unfortunately, the boiler for the Styrofoam beads that they need to mold their injection molded wings has been down for years so a lot of their kits can't be produced. Be simple to outsource the wing and keep the fuselage production in house.
Mar 20, 2015, 06:50 AM
I did a thread on RCU about Iron Bay, funny thing is their web site is still up:
http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/
Here is the link that was referred to earlier:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l-company.html

I would definitely file a complaint with Pay Pal, as I ordered several things and paid the invoice, received
everything over a period of 2-3 months but in the end never got the cowl I paid for my RV-4.

Bill D.
Mar 20, 2015, 06:11 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Here's the info on their problems with Byron Originals: https://ecf.wvnd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...?2005cv0082-23
Mar 22, 2015, 04:47 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Well that summons is 10 years old,, they were still selling stuff up unto about 2-3 years ago no?

Quick Reply