DH-2 36"Wingspan e powered - RC Groups
Mar 23, 2014, 12:41 PM
Model Maniac
Build Log

DH-2 36"Wingspan e powered

I have been wanting to build one of these for some time now. I was a little burned out with the Electra. So in mid January armed with a 3 view drawing and a 1/48 scale plastic model I started drawing up some plans. It is a 36" wing span and is set up with a Eflite .010 for now. I think the motor might be a bit large, but that can change as I build more of it. It's the most complicated model I have ever built. All the controls will be cable actuated.
Here is a PDF of a side view. Plus a couple pictures of what I have done so far, will post more by the weekend.
Last edited by Ibinde; Mar 23, 2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add picts
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2014, 07:43 PM
So far so good! The DH-2 is one of my 'faves'!
Mar 23, 2014, 08:24 PM
Model Maniac

Landing Gear

Built the landing gear today. used .063 wire, with 1/16 balsa core and plywood skins. Used spider wire to lace it to the fuse. I made the wheels last month from 3/32 balsa, with hub caps cut from manila folder. There kinda ugly , but I like them. I will modify the program to make them more pointy. Here is a few pictures.
This prototype will have lots of changes made to it as I build. What may look good on screen sometimes does not translate well to hard part. Stay tuned more to follow.
Mar 26, 2014, 01:21 PM
Model Maniac

Center struts and wing incidence, Rudder

Made the center struts and set upper wing incidence. Struts made from spruce. The wing is set at 1.5 degrees, in fact lower wing is set at that too.

Built rudder and Horizontal stab in the sandwich style. I plan to cover them with Coverlite . Looks to be a good covering material for this plane. Have never used it before We will see how it turns out.
The motor cover is cut from 1/32 ply. Making it bolt on so I can get to the motor area if needed. I'm still concerned about the motor size it seams very heavy.

The rear frame work was a little tricky to assemble as the upper rear part of it is balsa. This was done to mount the horizontal stab. I also came up with a simple way of attaching the vertical struts to carbon fiber. More on that in next post. I also noticed that the rear vertical strut is to far forward . Should be even with the leading edge of H. stab. Will fix that next. Put some more pictures up, hope you like them.
Mar 29, 2014, 04:47 AM
Model Maniac

Finished Rudder

I finished the rudder it came out pretty good. I'm happy with it. Covering the horizontal and vertical stab is next. No painting will be need for these parts. Still reworking the A frame it self. I expect to have them all completed by next Friday.

Hooking up the ailerons will be issue I will need to deal with... I have a couple of ideas in mind..
Apr 07, 2014, 11:37 PM
Model Maniac

Struts moved, tail covered

Here is the latest. Rear struts now in the right place. Covered the tail. Mounted the servos for the rudder and elevator. Going to remake the elevator horns a bit larger at the ends, could use a little more meat around the tips.

I'm going to run the control cables just like the real thing. I need to lock down the aileron pull-pull design before I cover the wings.
My first thought was run cable thru the wings to lower ailerons , then linkage between upper and lower ailerons and then cable over the top wing connecting the upper ailerons to complete a pull-pull circuit. I like this best, making it work could be another story. I'm using 30Lb. Spider wire for rigging and control cables.

Seconded idea is put two small servos in each lower wing tip. The rest would be the same as listed above. I decided to use small glass beads as cable guides. They hard and smooth. Should be easy to mount. Since it was very warm this weekend
I panted the nose. Here is a few pictures. That it for now...
Apr 14, 2014, 10:20 AM
Great job on a great subject! How has the week treated you? Enjoying your progress!
May 06, 2014, 09:32 AM
Looks excellent.

How did you attach the rear framework longerons to the wings? That to me has always been the tricky part of building a pusher. The pic in post #5 doesn't quite show how you did it - looks like the carbon rods slide into little boxes in the wings?

Regards
Harry
May 08, 2014, 06:07 AM
awesome plane . I love the lattice tails . I would love to build the FE-8 one day . I built and flew a micro DH-2 and loved it .
May 12, 2014, 07:33 PM
Model Maniac

Rear A frame attachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Rule
Looks excellent.

How did you attach the rear framework longerons to the wings? That to me has always been the tricky part of building a pusher. The pic in post #5 doesn't quite show how you did it - looks like the carbon rods slide into little boxes in the wings?

Regards
Harry
Yes Harry,
That's pretty much what I did on both top and bottom wings. The attachment point is sheeted on one side only right now (that might change). Top wing has sheeted on the top side and bottom has sheeted on the bottom side. It's 1/16th balsa right now, I thought of changing to 1/16 ply and binding with fishing line. ( good ole spider wire). But I think that epoxy and micro balloons will be fine.

I'm still stuck on the ailerons. I found some glass beads.The servo came in last week. Still looking for some 1/16th O D plastic tubing, for cable guides. I have been designing / making a fixture to attach the A frame to the wings. I want it to be lalliepal and perpedik. The fuse and wings will have to be covered before final assembly.
I'm glad to see that there some people interested in the build. Regard to all.
May 12, 2014, 10:36 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Watching this one. Very nice work.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:07 AM
Model Maniac
Hi all, I haven't forgotten about this one. I'm on travel won't be back home till Oct
Sep 19, 2014, 10:47 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Looking forward to seeing this one progress.
Jan 15, 2015, 09:49 PM
Model Maniac
Looks like things are on hold for awhile. Got home the find my home had been robbed. Lost my computer and CNC laser. Lost lots of other stuff to. Plan the finish both projects. I will have to redraw the plans and rewrite nc programs , it will take some time to get back were I was. Soon as I rebuild what I had , I will contenue . Regards to all, Donn
Feb 27, 2015, 01:04 PM

F.e 8

Sorry to hear about your loss, and am waiting to hear more of your build. I have a set of self drawn plans for an 1/8 scale F.E.8 and your post has helped me fine tune the drawing, hoping to start the build soon, Thanks
Last edited by mtracer10; Feb 27, 2015 at 01:13 PM.