Bad Day....not happy! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 21, 2001, 04:59 PM
Rehab is for quitters

Bad Day....not happy!

For the past two days, I've been building an all foam plane. Tail group was 2 mm coroplast. I've got 1" thick 4x8' sheet of blue
foam and some 1/4" fan fold foam. So, I glued two pieces of
1" thick foam together for a fuse. Put the tail group on, dug pockets in foam for 2 HS-81 servos and 555 rx. Speed 400 in front. Made a 36" wing from the fan fold stuff. Chord of 6".
Wing is cool, I put a 1/2" foam spar in and folded the fan fold panels over. Its a nice symetrical wing shape. I go outside and
tape an 8 cell battery to the bottom of fuse to check CG and test glide. 1st throw, plane glides down and left side of wing hits ground. Fuse breaks in half where I cut out the rudder pocket.
Scratch 1st fuse. I put wing on another fuse I made a few months ago. Tail group on this one is paperbacked foam glued in.
1st toss, glides down and hits wing. Fuse breaks in front of tail
group. I'm 0 for 2!!! I'm afraid to go to the bathroom now!!!

Dave...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2001, 06:14 PM
One thing with this pink/blue foam from trial and error. Tape it, this stuff can take some abuse taped up but untaped it just snappes like a frogleg under a semi truck tire, tape it likt a t-52 and it should work a lot better.

Dauntae
Dec 21, 2001, 06:45 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Last summer I started several foam planes using 1/2 styrofoam and 1/4 " Bluecor all seemed to disintegrate during test glides. adding balsa and tape did not make things any better.

Had sucess with wings from a toy foam glider "Flying Eagle"
and a Corroplast fuselage, and a Bluecor tail. Plane flys, although a little stiff. It is VERY crash resistant....

here are some pictures and instructions

http://home.rochester.rr.com/carlvogt/Planes.htm

I have since started playing with conversion of white foam gliders to RC planes. Working on conversion of a Life-like Ultra flyer still a work in progress. will post pictures when complete.

Have set up a Yahoo group to discuss ideas and have library files, Photos and links for members. Come join us.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Foamies/
Dec 21, 2001, 10:11 PM
Fair Winds to all
Carl,
Have you seen the Wally Wonder Wing from that
same kit you've been bashing? See it at
http://www.acesim.com/rc/wallywing.html

Seems you're on the same wavelength as
Ken Hill
Dec 21, 2001, 10:21 PM
Rehab is for quitters
Carl, thanx for the info. Adding the site to my favorites.
Dauntae, yeah, I should've taped her up. 1st fuse broke right
where I had the top pocket dug out for the rudder servo. Apparently, that was a weak area. Hehe, you only learn thru mistakes. I also have a new idea. Had some 3/4" pvc pipe that you use for hot/cold water. Cut a 22" piece off and was suprised it only weighed 3.4 oz. I might have to make the "fat stik"!
I got enough fan fold stuff to make over a dozen planes. May take me that many to actually get one to fly!

Dave...
Dec 21, 2001, 10:58 PM
Carl,

Clever idea! I'm always amazed by what people come up with using cheap and simple supplies.

Tony Turley
Dec 22, 2001, 03:05 AM
Dave you have got to do the fat stick, This I want to see. I love this hobby, there is always something new and often amusing to do.

Dauntae