March 21, 2014 Vernal Equinox Fly-In - RC Groups
Mar 21, 2014, 04:54 PM
Close enough
Gallery

March 21, 2014 Vernal Equinox Fly-In

We had exceptional weather for our special Vernal Equinox Fly-In to celebrate the first full day of spring . Some thin high clouds early burned off by the late morning. And t-shirt temperatures by noon proved spring is here.

Calm winds made this an ideal day for a maiden, and we had plenty of them. In fact, there were more first time planes in the air today than the usual fliers.

7 pilots took advantage of the conditions including Jack, Pat, Jake, Gary, Ross, Mark and Marc.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Mar 21, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2014, 05:00 PM
Close enough

Jake's Parkzone Archer maiden

Jake picked the right day for his Parkzone Archer maiden. While Jake had never flown anything with ailerons before today, he proved a simulator can help avoid crushed foam! Congrats Jake.

Marc
Mar 21, 2014, 05:18 PM
Close enough

Pat's Biplane Floatplane maiden

Pat's scratch designed and built biplane float-plane flew like a nice stable trainer per test pilot Ross. Pat handled all piloting duties on the second flight. It's big, flies slow, and is very impressive in the air.

The addition of some mains allowed for a very short runway takeoff, though ground handling was weak due to lack of any tail wheel. But it should be a fantastic float flier at Cochiti Lake this summer.

Marc
Mar 21, 2014, 05:28 PM
Close enough

Jack's Aeroworks 50cc Yak 55 maiden

Jack had a very successful maiden of his DLE-55 powered Aeroworks Yak 55. And it's a fine looking plane! The way Jack was tossing this plane around, you'd be forgiven if you thought he'd been flying it for a year already.

And while we all love Jack, I think I'm a bit partial to this manufacturer's photo of the big Yak with Fly Low Girl (FLG) Svetlana modeling.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Mar 21, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Mar 21, 2014, 05:39 PM
Close enough

Ross's combat Gremlin

This one is not technically a maiden. Ross owned this plane and flew it before. Then sold it to another club member many years ago. Then bought it back recently! And it's a great flier. All other combat pilots should take note.

Marc
Mar 21, 2014, 05:46 PM
Close enough

Full Scale

I think this is a Boeing Apache, though my full scale rotary wing spotting skills are weak. But regardless, it's a bit unusual to see it flying over Ohkay Owingeh Airport.

Marc